Muskoka Freerider

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for a manufacturer of large scale equipment with high vibration. We use 8.8 and torque to a lower value than industry standard on our installations. We have found higher strength bolts actually break more frequently.
Not saying it’s apples to apples, but “stronger” isn’t necessarily better.
There’s definitely something unique going on. The load on that bolt has been engineered and it’s of similar size as every other modern sled out there. It’s not rocket appliances.
Harmonics? Clutch slipping and tightening the bolt? I think we’re past a qc problem of the bolt.
Buddy thinks it’s the loose outer sheave.
The bolts are also custom to this application. You can’t just get a higher grade one from a supplier.

Stronger generally means more rigid like you said which isn’t always good when you require some level of ductility if the harmonics are off. I’m curious if any one has pulled a used bolt and compared it to a new one. I’m talking micrometers and verniers. See what’s the difference. I’d like to see pictures of the broken bolt ends as they tell stories too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there's any correlation between the first clip and the second. :ROFLMAO:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those 146 2.5 sleds appear to have an issue with the calibration
If he was 230 lbs like me, that belt would’ve blown in an hour lol
Through all my skidoo sleds. I’ve never been able to keep a belt in a 137 or 146 freeride I’ve had multiples

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best bolt in the world will not stand up to unwanted harmonics. Polaris engineers.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best bolt in the world will not stand up to unwanted harmonics. Polaris engineers.

Keep in mind both 9R's and Boosts have factory cluthing that allows them to over-rev, up to 8500 or more. There could be harmonics at these rpm's that the clutch/bolt was not designed for. Maybe that is why some guys have no issues and others do?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind both 9R's and Boosts have factory cluthing that allows them to over-rev, up to 8500 or more. There could be harmonics at these rpm's that the clutch/bolt was not designed for. Maybe that is why some guys have no issues and others do?

what should the boost and 9R rev at respectively? i find with the skidoo its very noticable if you are 200 low or 200 high. THe polaris guys dont seem to care if they are at 8600 all day the way the power curve is on that motor

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1709140354961.png
I double chicks like that. But thats too gay for me. Plus im 6 foot 3.

Think id rather take my chances with living with sasquatch back there

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a sled you have 2 running boards to stand on.

Why someone wouldnt rather tandem i dont know.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what should the boost and 9R rev at respectively? i find with the skidoo its very noticable if you are 200 low or 200 high. THe polaris guys dont seem to care if they are at 8600 all day the way the power curve is on that motor
8200 is ideal as the torque drops off above it. Saying that, lots of guys like to hear them sing and want higher.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt spitting skidoo aren’t fixable. Been there tried that. Best to sell it. Imo

Top Bottom