M8 or Rev XP???

Mack199

Reaction score
Im looking into get a new sled and just wanted to get some other opinions on whats better/ more reliable. I want anything from an 08 to about 2010. Any major problems with the 2 or anything i should look out for? Im leaning towards the M8 but still not 100% sure.

Thanks for the help

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO the XP is the better sled, unless you may want to do a turbo down the road? Then get the M8... or a newer XP with the etec.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having an XP if I had to do it over again I would go with an M8. I love my XP now but had to do quite a few changes (ie. change center shock location, steering post forward, track, etc) to have it handle the way I wanted it to. The XP's can be quite a handful unless setup properly. A 10 or 11 M8 are still top notch mountain sleds.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking into get a new sled and just wanted to get some other opinions on whats better/ more reliable. I want anything from an 08 to about 2010. Any major problems with the 2 or anything i should look out for? Im leaning towards the M8 but still not 100% sure.

Thanks for the help
XP with an etec or go M8 and install a wide bearing in the diamond drive outta the gate

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
XP with an etec or go M8 and install a wide bearing in the diamond drive outta the gate

Bang on.

OP...

The XP is a freakin beast in the pow. Honestly have had my as handed to me many a time buy one on pulls. But seeing as many doos go down as I have...I will never own one. It would be different if it was just a top end....but usually when they go it's a 2500 dollar touch.

Honestly...a XP 600 gives the non ho m8 a good run. No bull ch!t.

Good luck...don't forget about the D7! Awesome sleds two!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
xp is a great sled as long as it has an e-tec, if you arent looking at one with the e-tec then m8 all the way as the cat 800 is bullet proof.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bang on.

OP...

The XP is a freakin beast in the pow. Honestly have had my as handed to me many a time buy one on pulls. But seeing as many doos go down as I have...I will never own one. It would be different if it was just a top end....but usually when they go it's a 2500 dollar touch.

Honestly...a XP 600 gives the non ho m8 a good run. No bull ch!t.

Good luck...don't forget about the D7! Awesome sleds two!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Huh. A cylinder for a 800 r is 500..
And 400 for a set of m.c.b pistons

Far cry from 2500 for a top end.

M8 are tippyer , but don't have the front travel , narrower boards , less power, lots of problems with diamond drives. Unless u get a newer one with the ho motor and adjustable bar height ( wished they all did this ) not for this guy.

Xp's are not as tippy and more planted. Unless u get a 11 and up they are better. I like my xp for everything but the tippyness and sucks to work on.

Wish I kept my rev. More like the m8 for tippy but worked like the xp.

sent from my htc

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh. A cylinder for a 800 r is 500..
And 400 for a set of m.c.b pistons

Far cry from 2500 for a top end.

M8 are tippyer , but don't have the front travel , narrower boards , less power, lots of problems with diamond drives. Unless u get a newer one with the ho motor and adjustable bar height ( wished they all did this ) not for this guy.

Xp's are not as tippy and more planted. Unless u get a 11 and up they are better. I like my xp for everything but the tippyness and sucks to work on.

Wish I kept my rev. More like the m8 for tippy but worked like the xp.

sent from my htc

i said USUALLY meaning a short block...have yet to see one not take out the bottom end. i am in no way saying they are ch!t. just something that may happen. usually just out of warranty....awesome.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing you never see on this site is anyone complaining about their 10-11 M8. They just seem to work without much drama.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you really have to ride them.They are totally different rides. The cat is probably the more reliable ride, however they have been plagued with diamond drive issues and I've seen a few guys spear tracks when jumping them. In my experience I have found the xps that I've road with to be pretty reliable, however most my buddies run good fuel and oil. I feel if you cheap out on fuel especially the motors won't hang together very long. I just bought an 11 etec and it is a beast, pulls good, handles well and really good on fuel. A very underrated year on the xp was the 2010. If you don't have the funds for the etec you can't go wrong with a 2010, my buddy has bagged his and hasn't had a lick of trouble. As I'm a doo guy it probably seems I'm steering you toward doo but the cats are good as well but I personally couldn't get comfortable on one. If you can ride them both.

insane customs

Reaction score
My sugestion would be find a buddys that have these sleds and try them out it comes down to prefrance everybody is different ive had both and i like the xp but thats cause it feels closer to a dirt bike and i race dirt bikes so it fits . But i did have a m8 with a d&d big bore and it was a beast liked it to so get out and try them out if your near sylvan lake stop by and try out one of my xps to see if you like them

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the help
I own a 2011 m8 and had it set up by kenny at mountain magic. Went to revy this Nov and got in a bad spot and let this young fellow ride it out for me and he rides a xp and he was real impressed with the power and handling of the sled and i'm a real yamaha rider and now I ride a m8 good luck

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a 09 Summit 800 for 3 years and I loved that sled. In the trees and the tight stuff it would boggle my mind where it would go! The first few rides on it I had trouble riding it the XP rides so much different then any other sled. This year I bought a m1000 and only got one ride on it so far but I like it. It climbs like crazy! But haven't had a chance to get it in the tight stuff. I just hope it goes close to as good as my XP. But I like the m series for there reliability more pull the rope and go. My XP I always seemed to be tinkering on it, it never broke down and left my stranded just need more maintenance.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ride a 2010 m8 and never had any issues besisdes self inflicted a arms and stuff. they are bullet proof and a dime a dozen now a days

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had both 09 m8 and XP....I loved my m8 just found stock it needed more HP...Went to the XP loved the power but found it wasn't as fun as the m8....Sold the XP and was so close to getting the 011 M8 because I liked the M chassis and they upped the HP to 160...Decided after all to get a 012 RMK Assault....Anyways since u want an m8 or XP I would suggest 10-11 m8

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from an 05 rev that i thought i could whip through the tight stuff with to an 09 M8 162 (just sold it last night) and i couldn't believe how much fun those sleds are in the trees. I had the RKT head and clutch kit and i could go anywhere my buddies 2012 163 etec could go except in the super steep and deep i would have to track poach. Theres no doubt that the XP's shine is super deep snow. Biggest thing for me was that i wasn't tired at the end of the day and not sore the next morning. I really like the doo's but couldn't get used to the xp and i can ride circles around my buddy with an 09, he's fighting that thing constantly in trees but if it was an open climb to the top or highmark, he wins. As others have mentioned, if you get a 2010-11 M8 do the DD bearing as soon as you get it it's easy to take apart. I buoght the bearings took the DD gears out and gave them to the dealer to install. Also the suspension is not nice on the trail but the burant revalve changes all that for $600 and from what i have been told its worth every penny. I have a 2012 now and after last night installing a new CPC can, i was almost ready to trade it off on the old M series just for ease of working on the sled. The new ones suck to work on.

BigGM8

Reaction score
In have spent 3 years on a modified 860 xp and got on my wife's 2010 M8 with the ho motor and instantly fell in love. The sled is flickable, able to initiate and hold a side hill with ease compared to my 35.5 inch custom a arms and a power claw 15 wide 153 track and stabalizer link disconnected on my 08 summit X with rktek 860. If you like a stable feeling sled where the skis stay planted on the ground the xp is a good sled for you. If your riding on the side hill a lot and like a sled that responds to rider input easily go cat. The cat I can take further up nasty climbs when turning and side hilling is involved to get there. The xp would not go where the M8 can go. On the other hand the xp will out climb the M8 on a straight run up the hill. Also to get your M8 to ride better on the trail try 75 lbs air in front ski pressure and 60 in the mtns for an easy side hilling machine. The M8 you have the best of both worlds if you get the snopro. I currently ride a Brent Linderman ported 2010 M8 with jaws twins and am so happy with that sled.

Gabriel87

Reaction score
First its depend on you, you are comfortable in which. But from my opinion i think xp is better then m8.

Top Bottom