m-7 running rough

rocket-ron

Reaction score
I have a 2006 m-7. intermitant running rough/missing. Almost seems like pre ignition/detonation. It can do it anytime, any throttle, any altitude, sometimes after a ten minute ride or hours into a ride. I have changed everything that I can think of. I have tried another coil/wires, ecu, engine complete, tested fuel pump/pressure 45psi, wiring harness, disconnected everything going to handle bars, fuel injectors, disconnect tail lite wiring, no check engine lites, tried different fuel station, disconnected dash gauges, can an air temp sensor cause this seems ok, the only mod is a mrsp can.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning or tightening all the grounds. And check power valve cables. My wife's m7 would run good then it would start running bad then make the odd good pull and it ended up having one power valve cable unhooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check the atmospheric sensing tube to your ECU. If they get plugged it will cause issues.

But it's probably that can. Turf it and use the stock one.

Last edited:

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i 2nd the can ....I ran a mbrp for years then the packing all blew out and it was doing exactly what you described couldnt figure it out for the life of me .....kind of pissed after all the effort and it was as simple as a can.

would run like crap totaly at random no matter what altitide, throttle position or how long it ran good before.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 m-7. intermitant running rough/missing. Almost seems like pre ignition/detonation. It can do it anytime, any throttle, any altitude, sometimes after a ten minute ride or hours into a ride. I have changed everything that I can think of. I have tried another coil/wires, ecu, engine complete, tested fuel pump/pressure 45psi, wiring harness, disconnected everything going to handle bars, fuel injectors, disconnect tail lite wiring, no check engine lites, tried different fuel station, disconnected dash gauges, can an air temp sensor cause this seems ok, the only mod is a mrsp can.

Number One Make your font size bigger, hard on this old guy. Not dismissing any of the other options but check the wires that run down the steering post and if you haven't already put the inline fuel jet in your line, biggest $5 improvement you can make.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also agree with changing the can back to the stock suitcase. I had an 05 M7 and ran terrible with the can on (MBRP). Put the stocker back on, ran flawlessly.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old m7 would sometimes act up and it turned out to be the smart valves not opening on the fuel tank. The fuel pickups have a smart valves on them that does not let air into the fuel system. Check to see if they are good by pushing the valve closed and then lettin them spring back.
Good luck

rocket-ron

Reaction score
Well I am back, the can didn't solve anything. drove the sled for 5 hours before it acted up, swapped cans right there and still acted up. Disconnected the throttle switch took the can right out and still did it. After this the next morning it ran bad right after starting it, not at idle but at around 4200 rpm.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Can't remember but I thought there was a DIY thread on how to set the TPS might be on hardcore sledder. Have you checked your smart valves in your fuel tank? They may be sucking closed and not bouncing back.

rocket-ron

Reaction score
Thanks again for the advise. The complete engine has been changed(used), also plugs, wires and coil, and the fuel pressure is steady at 45 psi. Has any one heard of fuel line from the pup to fuel rail coming apart inside or any throttle position sensor problems.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be looking very closely at the power valve system, and the reeds. Reed valves can be surprisingly intermittent. Chech for splits or pieces broken off,

Top Bottom