Long or Short Box

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's time to order a new truck, i'm getting a crew cab for sure just trying to get some options on short or long box. I haven't owned a long box before and i think that i may go that way this time. Some positives and or negatives would be much appreciated.

Scuba

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's time to order a new truck, i'm getting a crew cab for sure just trying to get some options on short or long box. I haven't owned a long box before and i think that i may go that way this time. Some positives and or negatives would be much appreciated.

Scuba

avoid parking lots with the long box.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never bought anything with out a long box.
In my opinion short boxes are useless, especially if you plan on having a jockey box in it or a sled deck.
My first two trucks were 1/2ton reg cabs long boxes. My crew cab, I went one ton, long box single rear wheel gas job. My beater is a 3/4ton long box reg cab.

Even my wife has no issues parking the 1ton. You get used to the length.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Opps sorry my mind was in the gutter again :/

Ive been wondering about the long boxes myself, as RXN mentioned

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go long. The one I have now is my first shorty. Sleds don't fit sit half on the gate, if IF you want a deck you can get extra 1.5 ft of deck length real nice with long sleds
Parking so what you have to walk a little farther to get to the mall. It doesn't matter what you drive, unless its a bike or a smart car today's parking lots are to small IMO parked in one last year both sides the insides if my tires were on the outsides of the parking spot lines wtf

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned alot of trucks and only 2 of them have been short boxs. I don't quite get the parking lot thing as a long box crew cab truck isnt a grocery getter.:nono:
For the few times a person has to it is no big deal. If you were doing it all the time than yes. Should have a second unit that is smaller.
As mentioned what is the point of a short box and then install a 8 ft deck? Deck hangs way over the back and getting ramp and installing is a pain. Can't pull a trailer.
Pulling trailers or for that matter just on the road the long box is way more stable when the roads turn to crap.
Ride in the longer truck is way better than short box. Buddys have short boxs and always comment on how well my truck rides complared to theirs.
Only down side is you will most times you have to order but for me i prefer that as never in a hurry and then you get what you want and not some option for $1800 that you will never use.
Long box truck for me. But like i always say options are like arse holes and we all have one.
My 2 cents

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the reason your buying a truck is for the box then the only reason to get a short box is your compromising: you'd like the truck to fit in your garage, you want a truck that's easier to park at the mall, etc.

Some guys don't like to the look of them either.

If your not buying the truck for the box then go short box.

I prefer and have a long box and park downtown Calgary. Today's parking lots are for smaller cars, taking up two spots does not bother me at all. I prefer to park away from other vehicles anyways, to avoid door dings.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, This truck is going to be my new work truck plus i'll be pulling my 5th wheel/camping a lot. Long box it is!!

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long box is only way to go. Parking lots are no problem.. Just take 2 spots!! I can haul my rhino in back of truck and tow boat at same time.. As well as full sheets of plywood/drywall.

Reactions: RXN

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, This truck is going to be my new work truck plus i'll be pulling my 5th wheel/camping a lot. Long box it is!!
It sounds like you need a full size truck to begin with, good decision.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just take 2 spots LOL!! and make sure you park at a 45%

If you are pulling a gooseneck, then ya a long box is better. You can also get a sliding 5th wheel hitch to work for a shortbox. As for pulling a trailer, and a decent sled deck, I have never had a problem with a 6-1/2 ft. box. If you are using it for a daily driver and need the 8 feet one or two days out of the month, you can get away from the long box.

Long box is only way to go. Parking lots are no problem.. Just take 2 spots!! I can haul my rhino in back of truck and tow boat at same time.. As well as full sheets of plywood/drywall.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both my trucks have been longboxes and I love them. Short boxes seem so useless to me. Can't even fit a quad in the box and close the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your buying a ford 150 in short box (5.5 feet)... snow always packs up against the rear window from the box... not sure why? I like a 6.5 box kinda just on the edge of being practicle and looking good... just my two cents

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a ford.. Problem solved. As well as a whole bunch of future problems! Ha

Reactions: RXN
Top Bottom