Quad in short box truck

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy needs a new truck we have always bought extended cab long box trucks But they seem to be a rare animal these days looks like all that is out there are crew cab short box’. Does anyone know if can put a quad ( Can-Am XT ) with a riser and still close the gate on a newer GM

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the XTs. I ride with a guy with a 650 XMR outlander. Short box dodge I believe he was able to close the tail gate.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know with my Yamaha grizzly’s in a 6.5 foot box it was tight. I just used those plastic car ramps you see at Canadian tire and that gained me the room to close the gate nicely. I think with anything that is shorter then a 6.5 bed you may need a riser.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy needs a new truck we have always bought extended cab long box trucks But they seem to be a rare animal these days looks like all that is out there are crew cab short box’. Does anyone know if can put a quad ( Can-Am XT ) with a riser and still close the gate on a newer GM
just to complicate things there are different length short box's now as well. Crewcab has 5.5 and extended cab has 6.5 I think, something like that. I bought extended cab because the longer short box was more important to me than rear passenger comfort :)

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was my outlander 1000xt with pipe lift and 29.5s on it in a 5.5' Ford box.
Could definitely feel it on the stock suspension. Also would recommend DG tailgate bars as the cables stretch and damage the tailgate on the bumper.

You would need quite a tall riser to even be close to fitting - if I remember correctly it still wouldn't have fit, used a riser to fit in a 6.5ft box and close the tailgate, not the short 5.5'
download (1).jpeg

Last edited:

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was my outlander 1000xt with pipe lift and 29.5s on it in a 5.5' Ford box.
Could definitely feel it on the stock suspension. Also would recommend DG tailgate bars as the cables stretch and damage the tailgate on the bumper.

You would need quite a tall riser to even be close to fitting - if I remember correctly it still wouldn't have fit, used a riser to fit in a 6.5ft box and close the tailgate, not the short 5.5'
View attachment 265405
Hard on TG's and pins i bet Wow!

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just to complicate things there are different length short box's now as well. Crewcab has 5.5 and extended cab has 6.5 I think, something like that. I bought extended cab because the longer short box was more important to me than rear passenger comfort :)
You can get the 2014 and up GM's 1500's in the 6.5' box in the full crew cab or the small crew cab. The 1500's with the full crew and 6.5' box have the same wheel base as the 2500/3500 crew cab short box which is 6.5' box as well.

Pretty sure you can get the newer Aluminum F150's with a 6.5' box in the full crew, small crew and extended cabs aswell.

Don't know about dodge, doesn't really matter, after 300lbs the rear suspension is sacked out anyways.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get the 2014 and up GM's 1500's in the 6.5' box in the full crew cab or the small crew cab. The 1500's with the full crew and 6.5' box have the same wheel base as the 2500/3500 crew cab short box which is 6.5' box as well.

Pretty sure you can get the newer Aluminum F150's with a 6.5' box in the full crew, small crew and extended cabs aswell.

Don't know about dodge, doesn't really matter, after 300lbs the rear suspension is sacked out anyways.
the thing about going extended cab with 6.5 box is its much easier around town.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea he is looking for a GM/Chev 2500/3500 2019/2022 from what I can tell the crew cab has 5.8’ box what he really wants is a extended cab long box but don’t think he will find one in that configuration even a short box extended cab is hard to find not sure if extended cab has longer box? But doesn’t sound like he will be able to close the gate even with a riser on the small box. Did find a long box crew but that is too long to fit in his garage long box extended cab just fits so can’t go any longer. I guess he should have replaced his old Dodge a few years ago.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at another site showing short box at 6.9’ so maybe might work he will have to see what the actual length is as there are a few crew cab short box available used but that looks to be the most common Configuration out there.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely, and backing up trailers too, the missus has the GM full crew 5.5' box, thing is like driving a car, but the box is gay as aids for most things. But I Definitely do see why people like that for maneuvering in tight spaces.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea he is looking for a GM/Chev 2500/3500 2019/2022 from what I can tell the crew cab has 5.8’ box what he really wants is a extended cab long box but don’t think he will find one in that configuration even a short box extended cab is hard to find not sure if extended cab has longer box? But doesn’t sound like he will be able to close the gate even with a riser on the small box. Did find a long box crew but that is too long to fit in his garage long box extended cab just fits so can’t go any longer. I guess he should have replaced his old Dodge a few years ago.
The GM 3/4 ton and up short box have always been 6.5' ish bed, the 5 foot whatever boxes are in the halftons.

Up until 2014 you could not get a 6.5' with the full crew cab.

Gm's "extended cab" is the double cab now, still 4 doors, just the back ones are quite a bit smaller.

on the new HD's the short box is 6'10"
Screenshot_20230128_162025_Chrome.jpg

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The GM 3/4 ton and up short box have always been 6.5' ish bed, the 5 foot whatever boxes are in the halftons.

Up until 2014 you could not get a 6.5' with the full crew cab.

Gm's "extended cab" is the double cab now, still 4 doors, just the back ones are quite a bit smaller.

on the new HD's the short box is 6'10"
View attachment 265437
Yea should be able to close the gate with a riser on 6.5’ he might just order a new one with the long box but might take a year or more to get it but he still has his rusty old Dodge that in the shop again and is a nickel and dime type situation that he is getting tired of.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had half a dozen short box trucks in my life and every one of them pizzed me off. Gotta be some long box around somewhere. I'd keep looking.
Driving Force has a chit load of trucks on there lot in Etown. Sad Co's like this buy up a chit load of stock, of course they are all white but if i spend the $$$ i would just get a wrap put on no problem instead of paint. Wraps are easier and you can change every year if you want. Just my 002:)

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the XTs. I ride with a guy with a 650 XMR outlander. Short box dodge I believe he was able to close the tail gate.
not a chance i have the med size bed for dodge and i cannot close tailgate with my xt the tires are sitting in the box but overhang on the tailgate.. The short box is 2" shorter

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a chance i have the med size bed for dodge and i cannot close tailgate with my xt the tires are sitting in the box but overhang on the tailgate.. The short box is 2" shorter
Turns out he had a riser in it when he had it closed (to tow their camping trailer).
But you are right can't close it with out the riser.

My mistake. Couldn't really remember.

Top Bottom