Load Securement

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tarp my load, most of the time.

Just sayin.

Sometimes two tarps wouldn't hurt ;)

Just last week I saw a 135 gal tidy tank on a deck with 1 2" strap, like that would hold...

Last edited:

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really , why is that BS?

Have you ever seen a load after the vehicle has hit a ditch or been in an accident? The force is far greater than the weight of the object.

Load securement is to prevent crashing rather than "for" crashing.

The size of the rigging required to stop these kinds of forces in crash would be unrealistic.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll add my 0.0200001 cents here.

Many years ago there was an accident, near Fox Creek if memory serves me right. What had happened is that a person driving a pickup truck with a tidy tank had been involved in a head on collision with a Greyhound Bus. The driver of the bus was killed as was one of the passengers on the bus. The driver of the pick up was also killed. What had happened was that a tidy tank in the back of the truck was fastened to the box rails of the truck via the grab handles on the side of the tidy tank with ..... Tie wraps, zip ties, what ever ya care to call them (many of them). The plastic zip ties that just about everyone here would be familiar with.

Here in lies the rest of the story (as told to me by RCMP Sgt Dennis XXXXXX, Accident investigator/re constructionist whom was the lead investigator of this incident) The tie straps held. The handles became separated from the tank, leaving the handles attached to the box rails via the zip ties. The tank became airborne from the forces of the collision and in the process flattened the cab of the truck - killing the pick up truck driver, ruptured and sprayed fuel all over the front of the the bus which then became ignited - burning trapped bus driver and another female passenger also trapped in the bus.

Since then the DOT has been moving to ensure that loads are properly and adequately secured. I believe (I may be mistaken here) that one of the first things legislated was that these same type tidy tanks must be properly secured. I have seen the set up and it is similar to the way a RV 5th wheel hitch is attached to the bed of a pick up truck.

Having personally attended many MVC's and witnessed first hand death and dismemberment and other traumatic injures because of unsecured items and passengers - I absolutely and unequivocally support and endorse this initiative.

If something fell off the deck of a Semi Truck and came through your windshield, you would be screaming lawsuit blah blah blah. Why should it be any different for a private vehicle?

Last edited:

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tarp my load, most of the time.

Just sayin.

A tarp will not secure a load, it keeps debris from falling out of your vehicle, branches, leaves, garbage and so on. Protects your load from the elements. It is not, in most cases, enough to secure your load.

Just sayin.

tonykunz

Reaction score
Blue 1" straps from Gregg Distributor supply. They're 16 feet long, with wire hooks WLL of 835lbs. They're also like 8 bucks a piece. The 1 1/2" straps are nice because they don't tangle as easy they have double the WLL and are like 11 bucks a piece. The 2" are overkill.

safetyboss

Reaction score
WOW! Great discussion. Not so long ago the discussion was about: do you really need to tie your sled down in the back? and now the discussion is about: are the tie down straps strong enough. Wow!!! we are moving in the right direction.

This is what the manufacturer's have to say about safe working load limits.

The basic Safe Working Load (SWL) rule, to ensure safety, is a 3 to 1 ratio be used on any item moving in any direction where brakes are being applied and G-forces occur. It is the responsibility of the user to determine the number of straps needed to secure his load safely based on the SWL rule.

Example: A box weighing 3300 lbs., you would use (2) straps with a 5000 lb. max. load limit. The safe work load for a 5000 lb. strap is 1650 lbs.

Therefore a front superclamp rated at 800 lb Max Load and TWO one inch tie down straps on the rear rated at 750 lb Max Load are capable of safely securing a snowmobile weighing 766lbs ( (800 + 750 +750)/3=766).

One front superclamp with ONE rear strap rated at 750lbs Max load fails the test. ( (800 +750)/3=516 lbs Max)

As soon as your tie down is showing signs of wear, frayed, faded or otherwise damaged, throw it in the garbage because it no longer has the margin of safety you require. A tie down with the proper load rating attached can still result in a ticket if it is damaged. Remember the goal is get there and back safely without incident. Avoiding tickets along the way is just a bonus.

End of tail gate safety meeting.

Last edited:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tarp will not secure a load, it keeps debris from falling out of your vehicle, branches, leaves, garbage and so on. Protects your load from the elements. It is not, in most cases, enough to secure your load.

Just sayin.

I'm not sure what load 700 was talking about tarping, but I don't think he was talking about leaves and such ;) nudge... :d

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Not sure if this related but here goes......
Had a customer come in and buy a new KQ, asked him if he was goin to tie it down, he sed he's been hauling toys like this for a while(just one little puny strap across the back of his truck. And the strap wasn't even looped into frame, just across rear tires) i guess the quad shifted, strap came a little loose nd came off tires. As he took off again his machine rolled off the back of his truck and bent some suspension,racks ,front grip and one rim.
4 hrs later the machine was back in for an repair estimate. And now i hear he straps his quad down with 6 rteatchet straps.
Poor guy, not even a km on his machine and it was back in for repair.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a customer come in and buy a new KQ, asked him if he was goin to tie it down, he sed he's been hauling toys like this for a while(just one little puny strap across the back of his truck. And the strap wasn't even looped into frame, just across rear tires) i guess the quad shifted, strap came a little loose nd came off tires. As he took off again his machine rolled off the back of his truck and bent some suspension,racks ,front grip and one rim.
4 hrs later the machine was back in for an repair estimate. And now i hear he straps his quad down with 6 rteatchet straps.

amazing a new 10,000 + machine, and hasn't the brain power to tie it down. $25 straps or $3000 repair bill, must like spending money. :beer:

ridndirty

Reaction score
Blue 1" straps from Gregg Distributor supply. They're 16 feet long, with wire hooks WLL of 835lbs. They're also like 8 bucks a piece. The 1 1/2" straps are nice because they don't tangle as easy they have double the WLL and are like 11 bucks a piece. The 2" are overkill.

Good to know. I dont think I've ever seen small straps marked with the load rating. Now I know what to ask for this Christmas.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also remember that if you are using two straps and they are pulling against each other(corner to corner or cross strapped) the WLL will only be as good as one straps rating. The D.O.T will say if one breaks the other is useless.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 of these to use as tree savers and handy to use as an anchor point if ya gotta hook onto another quad. I also use these to tie my quads down with. I had tried a few different 1"x6' straps rated @ 600 lbs and had 4 to a quad. Through the course of a 3-4 outings I had about 3 break just in transit and one dissappeared. So I switched to the ones as shown above, higher rating, stronger straps and hooks and no problems. $20,000+ in quads why cheap out on a few straps to secure them with?

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats actually funny because once again common sense isnt an option these days, almost the same as I've seen guys buy a brand new sportbike and the salesmen says you know how to ride right? oh ya im with my buds or a chick and im cool, and they wipe out in the dealership parking lot. Morons!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On another kinda related side note, does anyone know anywhere in edmonton that carries steadymate straps? I'm looking for their snowmobile tow strap, and would like to get it today or tommorrow morning. Thks:beer:

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^ what he said about motorcycle. Was @ doo/honda dealer. Some rig guy buys a 600 bike, its outside. Drove across side street to open lot. Drops the brand new bike, then the horn keeps going off. Salesman says to me, started & horn are really close to each other. It went on for what seemed like 5mins. Not sure how he got a bike lic, was a good day to watch.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've been looking around for new tie-down straps for the Jan 01 deadline: PA, CT, etc. Found these at Okotokos Costco yesterday for $24.95.

They are even made in Canada. 2" wide and the specs are in the picture. With Costco's guarantee, they are (IMHO) a heck of a deal.....

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 150
Top Bottom