Lay Offs

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point is uninformed people shouldn't be able to protest, it would be like me going to Newfoundland to protest the commercial fishing industry because they are "destroying" the oceans while having almost no knowledge of how the industry even works.

Many of these people get their beliefs from hugely biased documentaries on Netflix and the like, none of them bother to get truly informed before forming an opinion.

I think freedom of speech is great, and definitely has its place BTW.
Frankly many of those in the patch are the uninformed. Free speach is free speach. You have the right to voice your opinion and you also have the right to not listen or agree with others opinion. But first and foremost you DONT have the right to restrict others speach.

One thing you have to agree on, your opinion on the patch is going to be very biased and based on your personal needs rather than the good of the whole.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frankly many of those in the patch are the uninformed. Free speach is free speach. You have the right to voice your opinion and you also have the right to not listen or agree with others opinion. But first and foremost you DONT have the right to restrict others speach.

One thing you have to agree on, your opinion on the patch is going to be very biased and based on your personal needs rather than the good of the whole.

And how many oil patch workers do you see protesting logging in BC? They know they aren't informed and leave well enough alone. I'm not talking about taking away the right of free speech either BTW, my point is people should inform themselves before they protest, like protesting oil in a bunch of plastic kayaks...

Regardless I do see the environmental impact of the O&G industry, but it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be, yes pipelines leak, we emit CO2, etc. But there is a market for our product, and many don't see the connection, if we couldn't sell it we wouldn't produce it.

So by that cause and effect we should shut down the car factories in Ontario because the cars they produce cause global warming. This is the logic used by many opposed to the O&G industry. That would be putting the good of the whole over personal needs wouldn't it?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stompin' Tom had it right. The O&G industry can deal with the reality of lower prices if everything else remains relatively constant. But that isn't the case right now. We have a new provincial gov't that has indicated changes in taxes, regulation, pipeline policy, wages etc. Now a new federal gov't has added to this with promises of new taxes, environmental and carbon policy, and an uncertain commitment to a new climate agreement in December. No company can deal with this kind of uncertainty and still be responsible to it's shareholders. Wherever possible you simply stop. And wait. It's the uncertainty. And our new governments are responsible for all of that.
But I recently read on S&M that the government has nothing to do with that stuff......lmfao

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next time I'm through I will drop a box of tissues off. It's not Alberta money it's Canadian money that's why the payments even exist. They were brought up because if you recall during the 80s 90s the west wasnt exactly the place to be and the east, mostly Ontario flourished due to Canadian dollar being low and manufacturing ease. Moving production facilities over seas in search of lower labor costs and higher profit margins is killing Canada labor force not weak oil prices. A well rounded economy has a balance that can sustain down turns. It's already becoming clear in Ontario again as with lower oil prices and lower dollar the manufacturing sector is returning.
Then I guess Canada's oil will travel through Canada where ever the hell it feels like building a pipeline........

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also read that government policy will put all of Alberta back to work...
Not sure it will do that though it will help ! However if you check the record on any provincial NDP government they are pretty dam good at breaking most provinces !!!! Thus putting people out of work... All across Canada where ever , whatever they do they always .... Well frankly f/:k every thing up real good !!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a big radio campaign right now by Suncor for the Fort Hills Project, looking for Heavy Equipment Operators and all sorts of stuff, 14 & 14 Fly in/Fly Out.

Suncor.com

They also have job fairs in Vancouver and Kelowna which kind of annoys me. Are there not enough laid off people in Alberta already that they could offer a job too?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Not sure it will do that though it will help ! However if you check the record on any provincial NDP government they are pretty dam good at breaking most provinces !!!! Thus putting people out of work... All across Canada where ever , whatever they do they always .... Well frankly f/:k every thing up real good !!

They're in for the next 4 years. All we can do is ride them out, and hope for the best. What, exactly, is your constant bitching about them going to accomplish?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great reminder to inform ones self well before they vote ....if you you don't like my posts , feel free not to tead them.... Believe me , I am okay with that.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well I'm sure we could of had a Wildrose Government but Danielle Smith had to F@ck that all up, frankly Alberta wanted change, Wildrose seemed like the logical option, but when Smith crossed the floor a lot of people lost trust in the Wildrose too and that left the public with 1 option.

The thing is if the province does end up worse off in 4 years it will forever be remembered as a result of the NDP, not the poor economic times...

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And how many oil patch workers do you see protesting logging in BC? They know they aren't informed and leave well enough alone. I'm not talking about taking away the right of free speech either BTW, my point is people should inform themselves before they protest, like protesting oil in a bunch of plastic kayaks...

Regardless I do see the environmental impact of the O&G industry, but it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be, yes pipelines leak, we emit CO2, etc. But there is a market for our product, and many don't see the connection, if we couldn't sell it we wouldn't produce it.

So by that cause and effect we should shut down the car factories in Ontario because the cars they produce cause global warming. This is the logic used by many opposed to the O&G industry. That would be putting the good of the whole over personal needs wouldn't it?
I fail to see what any of that has to do with the relevance of free speech? All your doing is trying to justify your bias.

The thing with free speech is if you hear something you dont like, you have the right to respond. Interesting enough, the one place where there is no right to free speech? Internet message boards.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fail to see what any of that has to do with the relevance of free speech? All your doing is trying to justify your bias.

The thing with free speech is if you hear something you dont like, you have the right to respond. Interesting enough, the one place where there is no right to free speech? Internet message boards.

You brought up the whole topic of freedom of speech. But yes you can say whatever you want, the thing is it has consequences, the fact for us is when a group in another part of Canada protests pipelines Albertan's are the ones that get burnt.

I've already agreed with you that freedom of speech is the way our country works and no one can change it, so I fail to see what you're getting at, other than you appear to have a negative disposition to the O&G Industry.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You brought up the whole topic of freedom of speech. But yes you can say whatever you want, the thing is it has consequences, the fact for us is when a group in another part of Canada protests pipelines Albertan's are the ones that get burnt.

I've already agreed with you that freedom of speech is the way our country works and no one can change it, so I fail to see what you're getting at, other than you appear to have a negative disposition to the O&G Industry.
So I disagree with your attitude towards protesters, so I must disagree with all opinions you have. Once again very narrow mind you have.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to go there? There are pipelines then there are pipelines. I am very much on record as being 100% against the Enbridge Northern Gateway project. Not because I am against pipelines in general, but because I am 100 percent against that pipeline in particular. Does that make me anti-Albertain? In a narrow minded way you might think so because it appears your attitude is anything good for you has to be the only way to go. That proposed pipeline has so many problems it is laughable to think that they even proposed it. They choose a route based on 1 thing, the shortest possible distance, to hell with any geographical obstacles. Frankly I still feel they proposed that as a red herring so that they could bring in an alternate plan that wasnt quite as stupid and everyone would be happy and let it go to the building stage.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to go there? There are pipelines then there are pipelines. I am very much on record as being 100% against the Enbridge Northern Gateway project. Not because I am against pipelines in general, but because I am 100 percent against that pipeline in particular. Does that make me anti-Albertain? In a narrow minded way you might think so because it appears your attitude is anything good for you has to be the only way to go. That proposed pipeline has so many problems it is laughable to think that they even proposed it. They choose a route based on 1 thing, the shortest possible distance, to hell with any geographical obstacles. Frankly I still feel they proposed that as a red herring so that they could bring in an alternate plan that wasnt quite as stupid and everyone would be happy and let it go to the building stage.

So it has nothing to do with my feelings on protesters? It seems it has to do with your belief on Northern Gateway and for some reason you equate my beliefs to mean I am in support of it, which for one I'm not necessarily either for the reason that we could refine the bitumen and sell it as an added value product. It was a general statement. The shop I work at sits beside the railway line, you wouldn't believe the amount of oil cars that can go back and forth on a given day, particularly when compared to a few years ago, this is a disaster waiting to happen, pipelines are so much safer, but this is what it has come to, oil companies will use whatever means necessary to deliver their product.

Regarding pipelines everyone says "not in my backyard" well unfortunately they have to go somewhere, the problem seems to be no one can come to the table with a reasonable plan, by time the native groups, governments, oil companies, and other interested parties get involved we can pretty much mark a big X over all of Canada because no one can agree, so what do we do? This is why we get frustrated, we have a product with the want and will to produce it and just lack the ability to get it to market. It would be like telling a farmer with 20,000 acres that he can only use a Ford Ranger to get his grain to market.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it has nothing to do with my feelings on protesters? It seems it has to do with your belief on Northern Gateway and for some reason you equate my beliefs to mean I am in support of it, which for one I'm not necessarily either for the reason that we could refine the bitumen and sell it as an added value product. It was a general statement. The shop I work at sits beside the railway line, you wouldn't believe the amount of oil cars that can go back and forth on a given day, particularly when compared to a few years ago, this is a disaster waiting to happen, pipelines are so much safer, but this is what it has come to, oil companies will use whatever means necessary to deliver their product.

Regarding pipelines everyone says "not in my backyard" well unfortunately they have to go somewhere, the problem seems to be no one can come to the table with a reasonable plan, by time the native groups, governments, oil companies, and other interested parties get involved we can pretty much mark a big X over all of Canada because no one can agree, so what do we do? This is why we get frustrated, we have a product with the want and will to produce it and just lack the ability to get it to market. It would be like telling a farmer with 20,000 acres that he can only use a Ford Ranger to get his grain to market.

maybe at some point the companies who want to build pipelines might attempt to put forward plans that are economically and environmentally viable rather than strictly looking at the economics of a project with a complete disregard for the environment. There are so many holes in the proposed Northern Gateway project that the people proposing it are of absolute arrogance or they have an ulterior motive. I still say the proposal is a red herring.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If any good reliable class 1 drivers with lots of off road/ mountain driving experience wanna come logging pm me might be able to help ya out, weekends off, 4 day long weekends and lots of hours

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were selling a product wouldn't you want to get it to market the shortest route possible?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were selling a product wouldn't you want to get it to market the shortest route possible?
There may have been other factors for going the shortest route other than just cost. Less length means less welds/pipe/support stations along the line to have to add which have potential for leaks and need to maintain down the road.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure all those things come into factor. Shortest distance between two points has always been a straight line.

Top Bottom