Lay Offs

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, with all the oil prices going down and all the TFW there's been quite a few lay offs. Just seeing what everyone does when they get laid off. I am getting laid off next Saturday. haven't had more then a weekend off in over 2 years. I won't know what to do with myself.

So who's been laid off?

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was laid off back in 2008 when oil tanked and I was working for Kiewit at their Edmonton mod yard. They ended up closing the yard down. I just took my payout, spent as little as I could and spread it out 6 months while I took my time to find another job. It's too bad to hear you are getting laid off but hopefully you can turn it into a great opportunity to find something better!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks, hopefully you've saved some $$$$.
Hope you find another job soon. What line of work were you in?

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, with all the oil prices going down and all the TFW there's been quite a few lay offs. Just seeing what everyone does when they get laid off. I am getting laid off next Saturday. haven't had more then a weekend off in over 2 years. I won't know what to do with myself.

So who's been laid off?
Been quite a few lay offs including myself after 14yrs, gonna stretch it out and upgrade a bit. It is kinda nutz with not much to do especially with most of the stuff around the house done all ready/machine,s all serviced. The days of 100$ a barrel are long gone, be lucky to get 80$ now we can thank the Arab,s for that and they are not about to slow down either. All though Trudeau did say all the O/G workers layed off could find themselves building bridges and other infrastructure. Ok bring it on lol!!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't worked since March and as a small private contractor it's been difficult. I have always been pretty decent with saving money so haven't been in the biggest rush to switch jobs if a didn't have too. But now that winter is rolling around and no contracts in sight I am going to try my hand at logging. Also I am in the process of getting my class one drives license. Always seems to be a job for a trucker.

The work around here doesn't get the oil pay but for the first time in 15 years I have the opportunity to be home every night and to me that is worth every penny.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got word yesterday to polish up my resumé. I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole Union seniority wise in our shop so I'm the first to go. It's not official yet but I'm looking around regardless. Might go back up north to a mine on a 2 in/2 out rotation, we'll see.

With that said, anyone here know of construction outfits/equipment dealers looking for a red seal journeyman heavy duty tech? I have lots of Volvo experience/training.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the senior guy at work and have told the younger guys get the overtime when you can because you will never know when it is gone and I was right. No overtime for the last 6 months and the young guys are finally saying I was right. Finning have not laid off yet in Sparwood but I think it's coming. The coal mines are dumping the temps now and really don't take too many contractors anymore. Always save for a rainy day my wifey says.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was about to say that. Both my son and nephew are heavy duties in Sparwood. Nephew got laid off from SMS in the spring, but Teck hired him so he's OK so far. Son is still OK at Cummins, but they're being "strongly encouraged" to take their vacation at Christmas when Teck takes more downtime, and OT has been severely limited.

Pulp was looking good, then suddenly a couple weeks ago all our project approvals got pulled and we were told to stop spending money. We've got warehouses full all over Asia and no sales.

Gonna be a long winter in western Canada.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed a lot of snap-on etc tool boxes on kijiji lately. judging from that, probably not good for hd mechanics.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sucks to hear more then just me getting laid off. I am a heavy equipment operator, I purchased my own track loader, and a large one. Hopefully I can afford to keep it. My dad makes all the money from the farm, I pay my room and board with working on the farm. I've worked on the rigs but it's more rewarding to run heavy equipment plus being in AC and heat, mainly clean. Plus being home to be able to farm. Always wanted to work at teck in the mines but they sound pretty hard up for work.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we heard SMS got hit hard over here
I was about to say that. Both my son and nephew are heavy duties in Sparwood. Nephew got laid off from SMS in the spring, but Teck hired him so he's OK so far. Son is still OK at Cummins, but they're being "strongly encouraged" to take their vacation at Christmas when Teck takes more downtime, and OT has been severely limited.

Pulp was looking good, then suddenly a couple weeks ago all our project approvals got pulled and we were told to stop spending money. We've got warehouses full all over Asia and no sales.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

uh oh, what mill are you at...if you don't mind me asking?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. I am a certified fork lift operator and a manager. And looking for something.......

We are looking for techs but I'll see if there are any other postings.
Can you drywall a lift truck ? Lol

Top Bottom