Large Avalanche in McBride - Renshaw Jan 29 - 17 involved - 5 Passed RIP

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Group of 4 of my buds, 2 deployed packs, 2 did not - the 2 that got deployed were buried and killed, face down, arms at sides, heads pushed down to chests - the other 2 were buried, one completely and self rescued, other one had one arm out and face close to surface and got it uncovered then was assisted.
I'm sorry to hear that. In trying to understand why the bags didn't help with flotation I have a question. Were they all in the same location when the avy hit?

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Group of 4 of my buds, 2 deployed packs, 2 did not - the 2 that got deployed were buried and killed, face down, arms at sides, heads pushed down to chests - the other 2 were buried, one completely and self rescued, other one had one arm out and face close to surface and got it uncovered then was assisted.

so sorry for what you are going through with with this, thanks for the additional info

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe what happened was that those with the air bags deployed did float on / near the top of the debris pile to the bottom, but as indicated by 2010M8 that a second avy stated only a second (s) later which would have buried them insitu as well as added the blunt force trauma indicated. Just a theory...

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for everyone's loss in this tragedy. Sincerely appreciate your willingness to share so the rest of us can learn. This information really leaves more questions about the impact of air bags. Personally I feel they are another layer of protection but it would be useful if the industry provided more data. I ride with a few people that say they would not buy another air bag. Curious on others thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad story. RIP to all the fallen. Would love to hear what the reps from all Avy bag manufacturers thoughts are on the statistical data re the bags from this tragic accident?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear what the reps from all Avy bag manufacturers thoughts are on the statistical data re the bags from this tragic accident?

I did some looking around for some "Stats" to do with Avalanche Bag effectiveness. An informative read.

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog-avalanche-airbag-effectiveness-something-closer-truth

Thank you so much to those who shared your information of this terrible event. I know it will help the community to open our eyes a little more. I also hope it helps you with closure.

Just thinking out loud here....

I don't know this area but from what others have described it's a main trail for going in and out. Is there a snowmobile club that groomes the area? Do we need to have actual surveying done to areas like these and have trail signs like you see on the highways stating avalanche danger zone no stopping. Again i'm not sure what the area is like but if it is the only way in and out seems to me signage should be easily seen.
I see the Super Natural BC website mensions the area so seems to me the province is benefiting from the area. Maybe the province needs to step up and give a little back?

Last edited:

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highfly -Thank You for sharing that article. Good information. At the end of the day terrain choice based on snow conditions is critical.

Again a big Thank You to those involved in sharing your experience in this horrible accident. I know it's fresh and I'm sure very difficult to play it over but all of us can learn from you. As a father of 2 young men that I love to share the backcountry with twice a month, I for one will be re-evaluating how we prepare and the choices we make. Stay safe all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I am trying to find out where the hell he got his info from, not exactly the way it was.
It's published by the CBC Barry, can't take it as its read. But if they are directly quoting Karl, I'd be curious too where he got it from. I'm guessing he didn't come up to investigate the scene

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find out where the hell he got his info from, not exactly the way it was.
its the news is not necessary it be truth-full or responsible. If I sound sarcastic it is because I think we as consumers pay for a product such as the news it should be factual , responsible and in the cases like this one sensitive. As we should be as members of the snowmobile community.

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An avy bag is only good if you are caught in a flowing slide. If you end up in a terrain trap and the slide stops there, the snow coming down after you is going to bury you. Avy bags work on the principle of inverse segregation, large volume material will settle on the top, smaller on the bottom.

If you're positioned at the bottom of the runout and hit the bag, I don't think it will do much.

Thank you to all involved who are sharing their story. I know this has been a wake up call for a lot of people.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An avy bag is only good if you are caught in a flowing slide. If you end up in a terrain trap and the slide stops there, the snow coming down after you is going to bury you. Avy bags work on the principle of inverse segregation, large volume material will settle on the top, smaller on the bottom.

If you're positioned at the bottom of the runout and hit the bag, I don't think it will do much.

Thank you to all involved who are sharing their story. I know this has been a wake up call for a lot of people.

The same design of the Avy bag to keep you floating could also increase your surface area and possibly in the case of this large Avalanche, provide more surface area for the snow to push you.

Possably with a large avalanche, you will be carried further and possibly faster, than with out! Although you may stop near the surface, it is possible the bag increased other trauma. The victims that did deploy bags may have suffered neck injuries as their bodies where dragged through the dense snow.

Although the the bags may increase survival rates under some incidents, possibly it could hinder in others. Unfortunately every case would be different!

As descibed by one of the brave survivors, some victims were buried with their heads tucked to thier chest, and thier arms by thier sides. Possibly they pasted before they stopped moving.

Condolences to all!

Thank you to all involved for efforts at the time, and for sharing information so others can learn to help and prevent!

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost every politician has given their condolences to the five, except one........ The leader of canada..... Jr truedough
If anyone should understand what a slide does to a family its him. He lost his brother to a slide in BC did he not? Just crickets though...

Top Bottom