McBride BC Riders - Proposed Weatherstation at the Renshaw

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
If you ride in McBride, BC, this is important.

I have been on Avalanche Canada to set up a weather station in McBride,BC. for the Renshaw area. This would provide accurate weather monitoring and assist with avalanche condition predictions. I am hoping to get this set up to honor the 5 men that perished in the recent avalanche in McBride on January 29, 2016. The Mount Renshaw Alpine Recreation Site is part of the North Rockies area. Which if you check the ratings on the site there not as readily available, We need to change this. I have been in discussions with the executive director of Avalanche Canada and this can happen. I will be working on ways of fundraising for this and its future operations. The McBride Big Country Snowmobile Club is on board with this plan. Please keep an eye on this thread as I will have a donation method planned shortly as there is a fair amount of funds needed to make this happen, approximately $25000

Thankyou for reading, please subscribe to this thread.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Emails to them may help out this as well. I think Ive put the bug in there ears a lot in the last week, but more they hear from the general public the more they know the importance of this. It will also be important that we host the fundraiser though the channels I will set up so they end up going to this project.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Maybe set up a gofundme (or something similar) page Ron. I'm sure MANY people from here would be willing to donate a few bucks. Doesn't take long if guys donate 20 or 50 or 100 bucks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe set up a gofundme (or something similar) page Ron. I'm sure MANY people from here would be willing to donate a few bucks. Doesn't take long if guys donate 20 or 50 or 100 bucks. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
We will utilize our own site for fundraising not a 3rd party....... I don't like those gofundme sites, I'm not sure 100% of the donations go to what they are supposed to.Ron and I will work on getting it setup much like the "Horses of McBride" fundraiser was setup. Stay Tuned folks for our involvement in this very valuable project.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
subscribed. good on you guys for doing this. as the only place for any real info about that part of bc is here on this site. the 3 areas of mcbride see a lot of riders and there needs to be quality information available so people can make informed decisions

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Almost every other major sledding area has a weatherstation, ie: Revy, golden, sicamous etc, but nothing in mcbride(stuck in the middle of 2 mountain ranges and quickly turning weather caused by the glacial fields and mount robson)... Hahahaha, and the mosted dreaded of all meteorological phenomena the siberian high.... Lol

Reaction score
I've seen 250 riders up there in one day. If the people who ride Renshaw put $50-100 in a donation pot as they head in past the ticket shack, it'll only take a few weeks to raise that money.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I've seen 250 riders up there in one day. If the people who ride Renshaw put $50-100 in a donation pot as they head in past the ticket shack, it'll only take a few weeks to raise that money.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, 150 of those 250 riders (or more) probably already bitch and moan about the $25 trail fee. But, if even a small percentage of the "good people" donate, it still won't take long.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

TurboCobra

Reaction score
We are heading out Saturday to help set up a weather station in the Torpy area (Prince George). Don't know much about the funding, but I think a Federal grant was involved...

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will utilize our own site for fundraising not a 3rd party....... I don't like those gofundme sites, I'm not sure 100% of the donations go to what they are supposed to.Ron and I will work on getting it setup much like the "Horses of McBride" fundraiser was setup. Stay Tuned folks for our involvement in this very valuable project.

go fund me, keeps 7.9% plus $.30 per donation for processing.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of "good" people here that ride Renshaw and would contribute to something that could ultimately save lives. Good on you Ron for tackling this. Maybe TurboCobra could find out more info on the grant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
FYI, there was a similar situation in the Southern Rockies area (I don't remember is this was a result of the 8 sledders that died but it was very close in time) where the only avalanche information was provided by Fernie Alpine Resort and Island Lake Lodge. Our area is similar to McBride in that it is huge and has varied weather/snow conditions. We may not be as extreme as McBride but there is no reason for them not to have more accurate and detailed information available. Teck and some other businesses stepped to the forefront and as a result we have a Southern Rockies Avalanche Team that travels the area and compiles snowpack information. It is greatly appreciated and well received.

I am sure Avalanche Canada could provide in-depth information on a similar team for the McBride area.

I have never ridden McBride but would be willing to donate to help the snowmobile community.

Ewaschuk

Reaction score
subscribed. would be a great addition to the area. I will definetly donate.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find out how to apply for grants. Lots of federal infrastructure money coming out in the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good plan, and think about taking advantages of local and Provincial funding if one wants to. This will inform folks of what the weather is like, and the next step is to inform riders of areas they need to avoid when things look risky. Weather forecast and sharing this info goes hand and hand, so it will take a few folks at the cabin to point out those risky spots. A well planed map on the cabin wall would be handy to. High lighted slopes that pose the steep degrees.

$50 and $100's work, so does "$15 and $20's or any amount when spread out over the long haul.

I'm in. Pal Lem

Last edited:

driller

Reaction score
where did the post go about the avalanche events that took place in the Renshaw?
If it was removed why?
Thanks

Top Bottom