Large Avalanche in McBride - Renshaw Jan 29 - 17 involved - 5 Passed RIP

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at this picture. Make me wonder what 17 people were doing there? We need to remember our basic ast1 training. Does not look like somewhere I would want to sit.

driller

Reaction score
That piece of terrain looks a lot different when you are on a sled going through there and it can be a tough pull to get out of if there is two feet of fresh snow. Not hard to see people getting bunched up if you are all heading out.
Pictures from helicopters are nice and give a great overview but are not what you see when you are on a sled.
Condolences to all the loved ones and friends of these men.
thanks for sharing the story from your eyes 2010m8

i know it is very early yet in the recovery process but would be nice to see a memorial for those men

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Still no usernames yet?

I will ad them as there confirmed,

One of our members who passed in the avalanche was Cousin Vinny, from Vegreville, He was an accountant and an avid sledder. His name was Vincent Loewan, He was a member of snowandmud since November 26, 2010. Ive met him at Barry's house several times, this group from Vegreville and were regulars to McBride. He will be missed.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know it is very early yet in the recovery process but would be nice to see a memorial for those men

i was thinking along the same lines, we need a dedicated section to those that have passed doing what they loved. maybe something along the lines of a name and the brief circumstances. i think it would be good for people to be able to look in one place and find different instances of how dangerous some of the things we do are. i know i find myself looking for this kind of info from time to time, was just looking for the fernie avy info yesterday as a reference.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can anyone provide any info regarding who was wearing avy packs ,where they were during the avy, if they were deployed and the results?

My dad and I were wearing are pack but when it happens its seems like it would be so easy to pull but in fact it is very hard to reach and pull when you are being shoved around like a rag doll. Neither of us got are pack pulled. I can only speak for 2, as are friend that didn't make it did get his deployed along with one of the others that didn't make it that I end up helping dig out. They ended up towards the end of the Avalanche. Looking back at google earth and some pictures we got I believe the run was divided by a small group trees that the 2 of us were stopped in front of. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454392217.616168.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454392232.504767.jpg
As you can see in the pictures are sleds stopped short of the slope and we were another 10 or feet past them down the hill. You can actually see in the one picture one of the sleds at the bottom along with the SAR group and survivors. This shows you how far people were carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad and I were wearing are pack but when it happens its seems like it would be so easy to pull but in fact it is very hard to reach and pull when you are being shoved around like a rag doll. Neither of us got are pack pulled. I can only speak for 2, as are friend that didn't make it did get his deployed along with one of the others that didn't make it that I end up helping dig out. They ended up towards the end of the Avalanche. Looking back at google earth and some pictures we got I believe the run was divided by a small group trees that the 2 of us were stopped in front of. View attachment 194173View attachment 194174
As you can see in the pictures are sleds stopped short of the slope and we were another 10 or feet past them down the hill. You can actually see in the one picture one of the sleds at the bottom along with the SAR group and survivors. This shows you how far people were carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing 2010m8 and I send my condolences as well, I cant imagine how hard it would be to talk about this after the fact but we all appreciate the first hand knowledge .

wishing you well and again thanks for sharing.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad to read this and my condolence to the ones involed ..

just read barrys article and read a few of the comments under neath.. Many people still feel we sledders are risk takers, bad environmentalist, and need more goverment control, there voices are getting louder and louder

a situation like this has hurt us all and more precautions needed to protect life, and our sport in general.. Snow clubs need to jump on this asap before its to late

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very devistating to hear, read and ponder. As mentioned many times, the snowmobile community is a tight nit family.
Sorry for the losses in this event and thinking about the ones left behind.

Thank you to all the rescuers and the others involved in helping.

No words can express my thoughts....its gut wrenching.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, total terrain trap with that creek before the trees... and you probably wouldn't see the avy coming, because of the ridge above.... sad... just a nasty place to get caught in :(

Exactly Ric...and no matter how safe we all are; or how much training we have, we do all end up unknowingly in these types of spots more than we realize when we are in the backcountry. Sometimes I sit on high ground and watch people riding, riding in areas we all consider to be generally "safe" areas and look for terrain traps, maybe a wind loaded area just above some "safe" trees. The dangers are there and all we can do is access, evaluate, and come to a group decision as to whether we procede or not. In order to get to where we chose ride as backcountry riders we will always have a need to go thru areas like the one that claimed these riders. Next time you are out riding find that high ground, shut off your sled and have a 360* look around. Think of these fallen riders and see if your personal perspective of "safe" is still the same. Many of us that have rode in the Dore River areas have rode in only to find the trail buried in avalanche debris on the way out; it wasn't our fate to be in that spot when it came down. Sometimes all the training, and gear isn't enough. Sadly this sounds like one of those times. To the Fallen Five.....:beer:

Last edited:

wilson74

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the photos 2010m8. Every avalanche that happens is always something to learn from. Our condolences are sent to you, your family and friends.

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
Group of 4 of my buds, 2 deployed packs, 2 did not - the 2 that got deployed were buried and killed, face down, arms at sides, heads pushed down to chests - the other 2 were buried, one completely and self rescued, other one had one arm out and face close to surface and got it uncovered then was assisted.

Top Bottom