(Keystone) Caribou and Standard Basin Closure in effect next season.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that the animals in the display aren`t mtn. caribou, but wolves sure kill them too and so do grizzlies, wolverines and cougars. They look just like them, the Mtn. Caribou has a different gene.
Wildsight`s sight says "The globally unique mountain caribou is a variety of woodland caribou that has adapted to the special conditions of B.C.’s wet, mountainous forests".

Actually...Mountain and Woodland Caribou are genetically identical. The only difference is where they've adapted to live. Kinda like calling me a different species because I moved from the city to the country and adapted to live there. They're actually considered an "Eco-type" rather than a sub-species.:rant:

Then again.....Moyie people "may" just be a different species after all! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
So they have morphed.
Some time ago 100 animals were transplanted from this area to Idaho, we met reps from Idaho last wk. They want to send back the 1 remaining caribou and the wolves from another transplant.
Not sure where your new caribou will come from, need some wolves?

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, need wolves and cougars. Won't take long for them to eat the 15 caribou that are left. :d

I don't know that the transplant is a done deal yet......or at least I haven't heard it is. They've been struggling for 6 years trying to decide where to get them from. Gotta give 'em credit....the natives have been the biggest stubbling block. They don't want to move caribou from a healthy population to get eaten somewhere else. At least "someone" gets it!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually...Mountain and Woodland Caribou are genetically identical. The only difference is where they've adapted to live. Kinda like calling me a different species because I moved from the city to the country and adapted to live there. They're actually considered an "Eco-type" rather than a sub-species.:rant:

Then again.....Moyie people "may" just be a different species after all! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where did you read that?

I believe I read they are part woodland and part tundra, a unique subspecies.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Thanks everyone, keep those letters comming. Over 300 now.
Appreciate all the people passing them around also, it`s a tough time of yr. to reach snowmobilers.

I have attatched Keystone/Standard maps, you can see we have lost 75% of the area that was open to snowmobiling.

Closure Map 4.jpg

Closure Map 6.jpg

100% at Caribou Basin is now closed and the boundaries were extended to the hwy. If anyone knows the guys who own the mancamp let them know.

The Club will be sending out a special addition newsletter soon.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, most of Keystone :eek:. We`ll have the maps soon and I`ll put them on here. Yesterday aft. we met with MoE, they told us Caribou Basin and Standard Basin are closed to snowmobiling, this goes into effect Jan 1/11. Prime Mtn. Caribou habaitat is the reason and pressure from enviro groups to save the animals.

Please keep in mind they are on here reading your comments also and so are our friends in the media.

We will let you all know what the plan is and how you can help soon.

:rant:

What a bunch of BS. I think a bunch of protests are in order if we want to keep sledding open in BC. How many sledders are on the boards that make these decisions to close public areas to riding? Something needs to be done soon before everything is closed to "protect the wildlife". Do you see logging and mining companies being shut out by MOE? Not too often and reason is all about money. If sledding brought in the tax dollars logging did we would be riding from our homes to the top of every mountain in BC. :mad:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
A bit of an update. The Census Report :mad:
Keep sending in those letters.
Revelstoke Snowmobile Club - Caribou Closures

June 24, 2011:

Further to the information pertaining to the closures, we have asked for and received the caribou census reports up to and including, I believe, 2011. In these reports there is mention of wolves tracking these animals. There is also mention that the "entire Frisby-Queest (Sicamous) subpopulation is subject to intense recreational pressure (snowmobiling at Eagle Pass, Frisby, Boulder and Queest, catskiing, heliskiing and ski touring)". It goes on to state that 'snowmobiling continues to occur on Sale Mountain which is closed to snowmobiling (this is not true, there is a partial closure on Sale Mountain south of the tower, but the areas north of the tower are open and always have been). If anyone is interested in seeing the census report, let us know and we can get it to you. We will be checking into the closures that have happened, if any, to the heliskiing, cat skiing and ski touring industry in comparsion to the snowmobiling industry.

Our concern here is that Eagle Pass is named which ties in with Turtle Mountain. Are the closures going to extend to them? We were promised in the past that once the SMA was signed with government, no more closures would happen, well we all seen what happened to that promise didn't we?

raven-lunatic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point Kathy! We ran into Ron downtown today and had a good chat with him. We'll keep beating the drum back home to keep this on everyones mind,if there is anything else I can help with let me know please!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you read that? I believe I read they are part woodland and part tundra, a unique subspecies.

Nope, but that's what the tree huggers would like you to believe. It only took me 2 minutes browsing my hard drive to extract these quotes from 5 of the many different public & private sector documents I've collected. They're not even the best ones I've read.
I know way more about this crap than I ever wanted to! :Hammer3::Hammer3:

Attachments

• Mountain caribou.doc
    27 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Thanks for keeping those support letters comming in everyone.
We are starting to send them out tonight, mail is finailly moving again.
While you are out holidaying this summer make sure you mention it to all you snowmobiling buddies.
We need more letters!!!!!!!

News - Revelstoke Snowmobile Club

You can also fax your letter 250-837-3524 if that works better for you.
Thanks

Last edited:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
This is from the RSC newsletter, if you have some spare time they are asking that you send additional letters to Revelstoke`s mayor and Chamber of Commerce.
Close to 500 letters last night, thanks everyone.

We were going to print a form letter where you would fill in the blanks and sign it but felt that a letter
in your own words would be more effective. So to that end we are asking that you take the time to
also write to the City of Revelstoke and the Revelstoke Chamber of Commerce stating the amount of money
you spend each year traveling to Revelstoke to snowmobile, the amount you spend on accommodation, food,
fuel, entertainment, trail passes and memberships and whatever other expenses you have when spending
your vacation time here. If the additional closures are making you re-consider Revelstoke as a destination
point this winter, mention that as well. It is important that the economic picture is presented to municipal
government and this in turn can be taken to the provincial government.
In a study done 10 years ago it was estimated that 4.9 million dollars come into the community because of
snowmobiling. That was 10 years ago, the sport has grown and costs have gone up. It is estimated that
this is now an $8 million a year industry to this town. These closures will impact that figure. We have to
make government realize that this is a very large contributing factor for our town. We think too little emphasis
has been put on this type of tourism within the province. The focus seems to be on the ski industry and
that is certainly evident in Revelstoke and there is nothing wrong with that but snowmobiling always seems
to take the hit whenever a cause to save something comes along. Lets make the City realize that these dollars
coming into town rely solely on areas to snowmobile in. We are going to need support from the City and
perhaps this will help gain that support.
The addresses are:

Mayor David Raven
City of Revelstoke
Box 170
Revelstoke, B.C.
V0E 2S0

City of Revelstoke Revelstoke Chamber of Commerce
Box 490
Revelstoke, B.C.
V0E 2S0
email: info@revelstokechamber.com

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
CLOSURE UPDATE from the RSC website
JULY 6, 2011:

On July 5 we held a conference call with other members of the BC Wildlife Committee for the BCSF to discuss what is happening in their areas as well as ours and to gather ideas from them on how to fight this battle. So far they have had nothing new going on but have also not been notified of any meetings with MoE regarding SMA's that are held with their clubs. We have been notified by M0E that a meeting will be held this month at which we will discuss changes to the SMA because of the changes to some of our riding areas. We were asked to limit the number of people at the meeting, we have replied that those wishing to attend will be allowed to attend. We were also asked that the club consider continuing with it's Snowmobile Patrol program. An email has gone out to our patrol members asking for their input and feelings regarding continuing with the program and this survey will be presented at the MoE meeting. The number of support letters coming in has been absolutley outstanding. Again we thank all of you for taking the time. These letters are being forwarded to the Premier this week along with a covering letter from the Club and SRS. We are also approaching ISMA, (International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association) for their help (hopefully financial) to continue this fight. To date we are still waiting to hear from the CCSO (Canadian Council of Snowmobile Oraganizations) to see how they are going to help us. We are also waiting for the BC Snowmobile Federation to forward a letter to the Premiers office supporting our stand.

That in a nut shell is what has happened over the past few days. We will keep you posted.

Last edited:

SRS

Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
To date we have received 364 signed letters! This is a way to make your voice heard. Please make sure you sign a copy of the letter and get it to us.

Email ~ laroy@telus.net or sledrev@telus.net
Fax ~ 250-837-3524
Mail ~ P.O. Box 1849, Revelstoke, BC, V0E 2S0

We need more sgined letters for this to have the desired impact! Please help us in this fight!

Thank you to those of you who have already forwarded us a copy of your letter!:)

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Last night we separately packaged, addressed and added the cover letter to 465 letters. Great support from Moyie, Fernie, Cranbrook and AB.
We need more letters Please take a couple mins. and send them in.

The letter

You can sign/scan and e-mail it to sledrev@telus.net or laroy@telus.net.
You can also fax your copy to 250-837 3524

or mail them to :
Revelstoke Snowmobile Club
Box 1849
Revelstoke, B.C.
V0E 2S0

The Cover Letter

July 5, 2011

Honourable Christy Clark
Premier of the Province of British Columbia
PO Box 9041 STN PROV GOVT
Victoria BC
V8W9E1

On April 27, 2011 your government signed additional snowmobile area closures for Caribou Basin and the Standard Basin area of Keystone Mountain. In February of 2011 we met with Ministers Thomson, Coell, Bond and Bell to discuss these proposed closures and to provide alternative workable solutions while making it very clear that the members of the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club would not support additional closures. The Revelstoke Snowmobile Club with the support of the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society will continue to stand by our members and the mandate that they have provided. We will not support these closures. The support given by members of the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club includes working with the local MoE representative by patrolling the restricted areas, educating the snowmobiling public about these areas, installing signs at the boundaries of the closed areas and funding a Snowmobile Patrol program.
We are extremely disappointed with the recent closures implemented by Minister Thomson and equally disappointed by the lack of respect and seriousness in which we were notified of these closures. We have worked extremely hard in improving communication even as government
continued to change at the pace that it has in recent months. We feel that we were dismissed and minimized as stakeholders by your government. Furthermore the economic impact to our local community has the potential to be substantial and has equally been dismissed. Mr. Ritchie states in his email of June 9, 2011 that Minister Thomson received an adequate number of briefings on this proposal and is “aware of the challenges faced in getting to the final proposal.” If this is the case, why were closures considered as means of management and partnerships damaged instead of looking at workable solutions?
In the 2009-2010 Progress Board Annual Report the general opinion of the progress board “is that measures implemented to manage the impact of public recreation on mountain caribou met expectations.” If expectations where met why did your government think that additional closures where necessary? Was this report even considered when the decision was made by Minister Thomson to increase closures for the Revelstoke area?

We encourage you to reconsider the recent closure decisions made by your government and seek out workable solutions and partnerships that will support your government’s mandate to recover mountain caribou. British Columbia is indeed the best place on earth and we want our future generations to be able to experience it. Please reconsider and open communications with the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club and the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society

Last edited:

alan ebbesen

Reaction score
kathy

I have been riding revy for 25 years and I ride there because it is the safest place to ride because the temp is more stable and less weak layers. Anywhere else I go I have been avalanched or dug people out . This is something I refuse to continue to do. One time I seen Two carabou on frisby ridge but only once, they didn't care we were there. They do leave tracks and the only place I have seen them above the treeline is the back part of frisby keystone tracks usually before the last cutblock never where we ride. We need to somehow have to get together as a larger groop, once this is closed thats it , we are riding boulder and frisby stacked up 500 deep with one sq inch of pow not packed. you are doing a great job and the changes I have seen are leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, we are not just fighting for our rights as snowmobilers in years to come it will be our freedom to ride and our kids and grandkids. great job keep your chin up. This will effect the people who just ride frisby and boulder because they will see large increases in traffic and have near misses steady because of overcrouding. eg yellowstone.

Top Bottom