Is Gen4 a game changer?

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats the dif with gauges? my 2016 t3 sp has the same gauges as my 014 sumitt x but there not gen 4s. the sps have a actual heat gauge still or just a dummy light in the gen 4?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno guys, rode the 850 165 3 inch today coming from a 174 T3, not really impressed to be honest. With all the hype I was expecting more. Yes the throttle response is better and snappy. The power I didn't really notice too much difference, slightly better perhaps. It's still in break in but I never noticed when break in ended on the 174 either.

It is very tippy and easy to input for turns and carves, I think I was over riding on the way up. In the deep snow it handles great and doesn't take much rider input.

Maybe I read too many guys hyping it up like something we never seen before. If I lost 5k on a T3 to buy this I wouldn't be too happy.

Just my honest opinion. If you're on the fence go ride one first.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya 850 is big waste of money same **** skid dumb gauges looks like a duck . Lol thanks but no thanks I will keep the old t3 174. Been riding with one in the deep and he s still behind me haha .

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to see that first hand, but then blow dryers are optional with some

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno guys, rode the 850 165 3 inch today coming from a 174 T3, not really impressed to be honest. With all the hype I was expecting more. Yes the throttle response is better and snappy. The power I didn't really notice too much difference, slightly better perhaps. It's still in break in but I never noticed when break in ended on the 174 either.

It is very tippy and easy to input for turns and carves, I think I was over riding on the way up. In the deep snow it handles great and doesn't take much rider input.

Maybe I read too many guys hyping it up like something we never seen before. If I lost 5k on a T3 to buy this I wouldn't be too happy.

Just my honest opinion. If you're on the fence go ride one first.

Alot of the hype on this machine has to do with the extra 50cc. MOST guys have NEVER modded or built a motor but go by dealer say. I've built more motor then i care to count, 2 stroke and 4 stroke configuration. If you think that extra 50cc will make the real difference in power, then you have been sold on the hype. To put it into perspective an extra 50cc is about the same as an average chainsaw motor, not much. Yes extra toque can be had with the extra 50cc, but a lot of power can be had in many different ways of tuning ports and ECM. The rest of the sled is still a BRP typical XM with refinements.
Personally i like the fact that BRP moved on from the 800 to an 850, BUT it takes more then a motor to make a game changer. IMO there are lots of room for BRP to improve on there mountain sleds to get that game changing status. Like the suspension.

Sounds to me that you would had been wiser if you would had spent your money on a big bore setup. Thats the rout i would had gone if i had a 16 T-3 with a 174.

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly ^^ this is what I told my buddy, extra 50cc is my weed eater at home, it's nothing crazy. Will have more seat time today but that was my initial impression.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
300 is easy in thee days...........it's the 8' part. Pi of snow pole at the cabin please!

Stories of great snowfalls need picture proof of the cabin or snowpoles that some cabin have.
8' report and suck next t a tee is just lame unless you own a hotel in town.
Yamacam shows 4ft accumulation for the season.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've spent the last 12 days riding with 850s in various amounts of snow but mosty pretty deep. They work very well and are a solid progression of the 2016 chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is one of the best evaluations to date!! "a solid progression" what more can you honestly expect!!

Top Bottom