Is Gen4 a game changer?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious how people are liking the new chassis? Is it night and day over an xm, or a slight refinement? I didnt find the xp to xm to be as big of a difference as was marketed. An improvement for sure, but not huge. How are the Gen 4s feeling?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're gonna need to pay maxwell some royalty fees for using his "game changer" term. LMFAO!

Reactions: GRD

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez Maxwell. I was hoping for something a little more elaborate than "its noticeable." The engine and clutching is great but I am really curious about the handling. You know, How flickable is that thing?:d

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez Maxwell. I was hoping for something a little more elaborate than "its noticeable." The engine and clutching is great but I am really curious about the handling. You know, How flickable is that thing?:d

Exactly. Have you been able to take it to the next level? Or the level past that?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chassis is a big difference. I tried one and was over riding it big time.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a sled headed in the right direction - not as radical as the original Rev was to what sledding's stats quo back then was. G4 is not a game changer on the same level at all.

The G4 needs to endure a year of thrashing in the general public's hands also before game changer status can even be considered.

And yes I have one siting in my garage so I am not a doo hater, just semi realistic.

IMHO

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been along time since anyone broke the 800cc 150hp range reliably. i dont know what defines a game changer to you but thats one aspect that certainly does and its noticable
I think this may be a valid statement but adding a caveat for doing so with out weight gain as some people did get a lot of use out out of the m1000 after intial glitches were dealt with but even these had issues to get over.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chassis is a big difference. I tried one and was over riding it big time.

I have a feeling that after an initial period of adjustment that will vary from person to person you would appreciate what the engineering staff and test riders goals are.

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am anxious to ride a gen 4, the AXYS was a game changer for me. As a 60 year old who didn't start riding until age 51, the learning curve to become a capable mountain rider was slower and more frightening than expected��, improvements in handling, power and weight have allowed me to continue
to improve skills and access way more technical terrain and have fun doing it. We are fortunate the mountain segment has been progressing at the pace it is. The AXYS (after quite a few hours of riding) has allowed me to ride in way more control in steep technical terrain which has increased my confidence and allowed me to make a substantial overall improvement in all areas of mountain riding.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been along time since anyone broke the 800cc 150hp range reliably. i dont know what defines a game changer to you but thats one aspect that certainly does and its noticable

Cat and Yammi been at or over 150hp for a long time very reliably.
Doos flakey rings bad cranks and Poos bad top end have been an issue for a while.
Who has Isoflex tubes in their garage........haha.
G4 will be a hot performer and win top dog award, but I think mid season will see a cat scratching at that top dog's door.

Last edited:

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious how people are liking the new chassis? Is it night and day over an xm, or a slight refinement? I didnt find the xp to xm to be as big of a difference as was marketed. An improvement for sure, but not huge. How are the Gen 4s feeling?

Cat has had over 150 800cc reliably for years. To disagree with that makes one think you don't have a clue. Cats bars, warmers, rails, steering posts, tracks, and rear tunnel sections.... All need work. But cats motors are the best in the biz for reliability. Inefficient, oh Fawk ya. But tough.

Couple that with the fact these 850's have been in the hands of the consumer, what a month? Is that how you base reliability?

This thing needs two seasons to prove reliability. Minimum.

BTW... I own a 850 Summit X.

Op:
IMHO game changer relies heavily on the rider and what they feel. Example : when I jumped off my 15 cat onto my 16....i thought... This 16 is a game changer. Front end is leaps and bounds better.

Then I jumped on a 15 xm in some really deep... And I went... This is a game changer.... Over the 16 cat... Lol.

I'm just glad that all manu's are at the level they are at. Cat being slightly behind. I think doo will take top spot again, this year, box stock.

Lets all be honest, there isn't one of us here, that could out ride the capabilities of a (17) doo 850, cat 800, or 800 rmk right out of the box. They are that good.

Well, except maybe maxwell.....
I'm razzin ya

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How exactly does one define out riding a sled? Plenty of times I've wished my sled had double the hp. Like yesterday....

850 is a pretty decent stock sled though for sure.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't ridden a 17 Cat, G4 or Axys yet . Rode the 16's , the 16 Axys and T3 both impressive. Sounds like the G4 is gonna be a killer sled , I hope that's true.
But this "game changer " crap is just silly. You gonna sit on it backwards, twin track, enclosed cab, feather lite 4 stroke, steering wheel, run it on dirt ????? It's a friggen snowmobile, longer/shorter track, narrower/fatter chassis, more/less HP, rider position more front/back, big deal, same $hit different pile. Ease of riding, greater dependability, more deep snow capable, groovier colours , drop and roll, all are great steps forward, But game changer, hardly.
So like if CFL players all get new cleats, wow, game changer, ? Chev/ford/Fargo all go narrower/wider, longer/shorter , more/less HP , that's game changing ?
Sorry same game boys, no matter how much you spent, just another snowmobile, constantly improving and fine tuning with the manufacturers all competing for top spot , which is great for us to have the different choices and options , while making the sport more enjoyable But same game.

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didnt intend to offend anyone with the term game changer. I know how sensitive Lenny can be.

Lets re-word it.......slight refinement, or big improvement?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry I didnt intend to offend anyone with the term game changer. I know how sensitive Lenny can be.

Lenny does have good points and put it down well. I have had quite a few new sleds in the last few years and there were differences from 2008 with the 2013, differences from the 2013 to the T3, and definitely differences with the new G4. They are getting us further and further into the back country, more reliable, and easier to ride. It is enjoyable to be able to experience the changes first hand. I tend to agree with Lenny but I see where deaner is coming from. Carl Kuster made an interesting statement in one of his videos; with the narrowing of the chassis and the balancing of the weight, the SkiDoos are getting more like the snow bikes (his words). So maybe it will be a start to changing the game after all.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LOL, no problem deaner, I've not often been called sensitive. And I get it, guys get a new sled , pain in the wallet, instant woody sitting on it in the garage, and it's cooler than their buddys last year sled, pretty easy to see right past that, cause it'd be stupid to spend that much only get , slight refinements and big improvement.
Really just semantics I guess, but not offended at all. I'm actually Anxious to ride one .

Top Bottom