insurance and stolen sled problem

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend purchased a used snowmobile (legitimately) took out a bank loan and gave them all the information. got insurance and used it for a season and a half.

got pulled over by the cops and did not have a plate on the sled so they ran the vin. turns out it was stolen from quebec? so they seized it

insurance and bank say they have no way to find out if its stolen if its out of province?

we did this all the correct way. left it in the hands of the bank and insurance to make sure everything was ok. as with any vehicle loan.

so hes a bit chapped. has a monthly payment..no sled. 4000$ extra into the machine so in total out about 10,000$ as of now.

im just curious as to what should happen here? is it the owners fault? i should hope not?

do we go after the bank for the |$ for the sled?

what about the aftermarket stuff? or should we be considered lucky to get the money for the sled.

i just think this is crap.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he'll lose the sled might get back add ons if has all receipts. safe way is r.c.m.p. vin check canada wide.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend purchased a used snowmobile (legitimately) took out a bank loan and gave them all the information. got insurance and used it for a season and a half.

got pulled over by the cops and did not have a plate on the sled so they ran the vin. turns out it was stolen from quebec? so they seized it

insurance and bank say they have no way to find out if its stolen if its out of province?

we did this all the correct way. left it in the hands of the bank and insurance to make sure everything was ok. as with any vehicle loan.

so hes a bit chapped. has a monthly payment..no sled. 4000$ extra into the machine so in total out about 10,000$ as of now.

im just curious as to what should happen here? is it the owners fault? i should hope not?

do we go after the bank for the |$ for the sled?

what about the aftermarket stuff? or should we be considered lucky to get the money for the sled.

i just think this is crap.
Sorry to say but I think you are outta luck.
and maybe even liable for having the stolen property ??
I hope not !!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Does he still have the bill of sale?....maybe it can be traced back the seller probably a fake name though.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
registries should catch this , If bank is giving you a loan for this they should be running it through registries , they do for me but I can't remember if I ask

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah, we have the bill of sale, even contacted the previous owner..he told us who he bought it from etcetc.

he had it insured and registered aswell..

cops said it used to be white...

except they didnt make a summit 800 in white in 2002..

whatever

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah, we have the bill of sale, even contacted the previous owner..he told us who he bought it from etcetc.

he had it insured and registered aswell..

cops said it used to be white...

except they didnt make a summit 800 in white in 2002..

whatever
I would follow up on it to make sure it is actually the sled they are looking for?
and not messed up by one digit on the vin ??

powderpusher

Reaction score
if the previous owner had it registered in a court of law he will be legally liable to pay back to the buyer the purchase price as it was him that sold your freind the stolen sled and then he will have to file a claim against who ever he purchased it from to be reimbursed his money and down the line it goes

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with powertool here. Got pulled over before with my p/u was second owner but had the truck for over 3 years. cops said stolen i said wtf e.t.c. e.t.c, i was 20 or so at the time. Got arrested, truck impounded. All because cop typed a 9 when it was an 8 go figure. Had to pay tow, impound and lost wages. Got sorry for the mistake but nothing we can do about it. Hope all goes well with your buddy Maxwell.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Wow that really sucks! I guess it's buyer beware and make sure you do your own search with the VIN :beer::rant:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you know the sled is legit the worst thing you could of done is let the cops take it into their posession, it is a lot harder for them to take it then you think, they cannot just say it's stolen and impound it on the spot if you refuse and have documents to prove it. If you can prove you own it bill of sale etc, they cannot take it on the spot, and much better to fight it in court. If it is indeed stolen from Quebec, you would have some problems and have to go back on the previous owner.

Canada/US registration is a frigging joke, but it can work to your advantage ;) There is no possible way to completly VIN search a sled, unless you bought the sled brand new you have NO idea where it is from or what has happened to it.

Magnet you should of sued them, you would easily get all your fees, wages, and more back, probably come out with a few grand ahead easily.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah what a bummer I would blame the bank for sure, I am sure they do lean cheques on a used truck for a loan why not a sled. Good luck with the banks there as bad as the federallys. Go see the guy that sold and hold a knife to his throat. My brother had that happen to him 20 years ago.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah what a bummer I would blame the bank for sure, I am sure they do lean cheques on a used truck for a loan why not a sled. Good luck with the banks there as bad as the federallys. Go see the guy that sold and hold a knife to his throat. My brother had that happen to him 20 years ago.

The knife to the throat or the stolen sled issue???:confused:

dtcat

Reaction score
There should be a canada wide web site with a list of stolen vehicle vin numbers I don't think there is any way to search pre purchase unless you physically bring the unit to police then it's to late

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an alternative, you sue the seller......I'm surprised the police didnt tell you that, they told that to my neighbor who bought a stolen van.

I go to motor Vehicals always pay the $10.00 and do a seach...

dtcat

Reaction score
The registries search will not tell you if it is stolen will only if it is write off or leins

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought my work trailer (new) last year in manitoba(saved 3000) went to register it .. they punched in the serial number had a funny look on her face went back in the back room made a couple of phone calls came back a couple of minutes later and informed me this thing was stolen .... yet i had the original copy of the n.v.i.s
so argued with them for a bit they re ran the number and they were off one number

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There should be a canada wide web site with a list of stolen vehicle vin numbers I don't think there is any way to search pre purchase unless you physically bring the unit to police then it's to late

Check Stolen Vehicle Status
Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC)/Centre d'information de la police canadienne (CIPC)

The Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC)
website allows the public to check the "stolen" status
of a vehicle using either a vehicle identification number (VIN)
or a licence plate

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year had a fellow trying to sell a
Dragon to me. got the serial # from him and had my Poo dealer run it. Came up with the original owners name and I contacted him said he stilll owned and was in his posession. Big red flag there to that sale! Its easier than you would think to run a check.

Top Bottom