How to tow out a dead sled

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towing backwards with the track up on the tunnel works good, wouldn't want to that with my XP thou it would bend in half.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's see if this works. It still was a fantastic trip.
DSC01267.jpg

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same version as some of the guys already have done. But used straps, ropes, double and triple pulls, whatever it takes. Used chopper once when reeds disintegatred. Done it all, i've personally been pulled out 12 to 14 times in my 12yrs of mountain riding. Others in my group close to the same. Higgins.

Attachments

• Teare 2 004.jpg
    Teare 2 004.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Teare 2 005.jpg
    Teare 2 005.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 235

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same version as some of the guys already have done. But used straps, ropes, double and triple pulls, whatever it takes. Used chopper once when reeds disintegatred. Done it all, i've personally been pulled out 12 to 14 times in my 12yrs of mountain riding. Others in my group close to the same. Higgins.

12 to 14 to times that must be all the times that you have rode your sled and not hotrods

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of onto the skis and rear bumper instead of rear bumper to front bumper. A little more flex and give if one sled hits a bump or anything.

Only been towed out once, sold the cat hasen't happened again! :d

One of the downsides of having the biggest sled though, when you need to get towed out it's a major SOB, if even possible :(

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

After that many times I think I would try something else besides a polaris:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no stupid questions, just stupid people that don't ask questions.:beer:
if you double or triple fold the tarp, the sled will slide and the track should not rotate, but put the brake on as if the tarp wraps up in the rear skid, you will find some new french words. the tarps are cheap, have multiple uses, tie them with some string, yes they will wear through but make towing way easier.
try it out before needing it in the back country as you may need to modify.

An alternative to this is Nilex makes a product called Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) 30 mil liner material which is like a really thick plastic (kinda like crazy carpet but more flexible), it costs about $5/sq. meter (so a piece big enough for under your track would be about $6) - we use it at work all the time for making holding ponds. You can fold it up like a tarp and stick it in the bottom of the backpack since its really flexible.

AGES Environmental also makes a product called Aquaguard that is like a tarp fabic but its plastic covered as well (water repellant) and can be rolled up and stuffed anywhere on a sled. Both of these would be the same weight/dimensions as a small tarp but are much stronger.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Towed our '04 summitx 800 out of renshaw from blackwater meadows on saturday........ Daughter left the park brake on and caused a small fire, and some melted stuff. Will try and post pics tonite or tomorrow nite. Just used a princess auto cheapy tow rope with the hooks, and looped each ski and through my back bumper...... Have towed many, many sleds out with the big blue 1000rt with never a problem......

m8cat

Reaction score

Why is that Cat pushing the old Poolaris......lol

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towing backwards with the track up on the tunnel works good, wouldn't want to that with my XP thou it would bend in half.

We have tried this and it works for straight pulls. But I have seen rack ripped off when the pulling sled turns ( or jackknifes )going down the switch backs. Maybe there is a method that allows the dead sled to swivel on the rear of the pulling sled

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year we choppered out a turbo yammi in allen and the next day an xrs blew up and we went to town and got 400 feet of rope and a pulley used matts 1100 as an anchor and tied the rope to my sled and i drove down hill and the xrs came up worked great and it was in a really steep little bowl that we couldnt tow out ofcost a bit of money for the rope but now we have it and it works great in tight spots

snowprozr

Reaction score
last year we choppered out a turbo yammi in allen and the next day an xrs blew up and we went to town and got 400 feet of rope and a pulley used matts 1100 as an anchor and tied the rope to my sled and i drove down hill and the xrs came up worked great and it was in a really steep little bowl that we couldnt tow out ofcost a bit of money for the rope but now we have it and it works great in tight spots

That sounds like a good idea other than packing that much rope....i guess still better than a chopper lift.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We normally just pack our 15 feet of rope with us for normal tow jobs and keep the rest of the rope in the trailer for the times we really need it. Most of the time the trailer dont take to long to get back to.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if in Sicamous I have 1200 feet of rope and a gas powered winch, pulleys, and the pulling sled! "cheaper Than a Chopper" Cutting Edge Sled Recovery 250-517-8146

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea other than packing that much rope....i guess still better than a chopper lift.

it actually worked really good. you only need to do this were its really steep we were just in a bad spot and it wouldn';t tow out

snowprozr

Reaction score
it actually worked really good. you only need to do this were its really steep we were just in a bad spot and it wouldn';t tow out

I bet it did work well, we normally carry a 20' chunk of rope for emergencies but after reading this thread I am thinking of getting some more rigging for the trailer just in case. Doesn't take much and might save a bunch!!

braven08

Reaction score
Just pulled a sled out of North Fork Pass, AB with a homemade rig, worked pretty good, but could always be better. So made a tow bar over the weekend
for next time. Hope there is no next time, haha. Made a good day out of it, nobody died, nobody got hurt, had fun.
That's the main thing.

xp mountainrider

Reaction score
We have dragged a sled out from the super bowl at allens, took a day but got it out same as some of the pics, turned skis and we tied them to the ISF bar so it wouldnt dart around put, the track on the back of the other sled and hooked another sled up to the pulling sled. it helps alot when in a bowl to set the track up, run up n down make a trail and allow the snow to set, about 1/2 hr or so will work ok. a rental sled also works well in the situation :d

LOL, Did I see you Pulling out a Turbo M 8 with a Rental??

Top Bottom