How to properly euthanize a deer in Lethbridge.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Being he is an officer of the law, he would of been better calling for backup or a game warden then euthinizing it once the backup arrived. The misery the animal went through was not necessary, that officer may be finding himself in a fair amount of hot water.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely unbelievable, if you ask me cops are short a few brain cells, a farmer I know had cows on the hiway and the police were shooting the cows in the guts with their pistols, farmer absoluety lost it on them, but it’s really disgusting to watch he should be fired

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he isn’t fired and sent to prison for animal cruelty it shows what kind of country we live in and the $hitheads that run it. If it was a rappest or other then that’s a different story.
Scumbag.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine discharging a firearm on a busy roadway is taken very lightly. Im guessing he thought this would be a quick and easy way of dispatching a suffering animal. Not saying he did the right thing, but imagine making a bad judgement call and then having the world watch it over and over and crucify you for it.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s a simple call to a supervisor for permission. If it’s denied then usually it’s a call to fish and feathers to dispatch the animal humanely. Taking it into your own hands to do it how he did is not the right way.

Years ago when fish and feathers in bc were not permitted to carry firearms my dad being one of the few RCMP members in his area that carried a shotgun would be called quite often to dispatch animals. He said what that guy did would have resulted in a suspension and likely charges also in his day.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn't finish watching the video. Disgusting. However if he would have shot the deer he probably would have met the same media backlash. They're people out there that would have called for a vet to intervene with an operation to save the animal. In the end he should have called fish an fur and passed the buck.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This cop should be fired and charged. Absolutely ridiculous. It terrifies me to think what an officer that thinks it's ok to do this would do in a high stress situation. The RCMP or local lethbridge police should be ashamed.

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn't finish watching the video. Disgusting. However if he would have shot the deer he probably would have met the same media backlash. They're people out there that would have called for a vet to intervene with an operation to save the animal. In the end he should have called fish an fur and passed the buck.

Now that’s punny! Ha ha!

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a hunter if I were caught euthanizing a deer that way I'd loose my guns/pal, loose my hunting license and probably get my truck seized. Not to mention all the other charges that would come of it. Not ok what this cop did at all, and there is no excuse to justify it.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a hunter of I were caught euthanizing a deer that way I'd loose my guns/pal, loose my hunting license and probably get my truck seized. Not ok what this cop did at all, and there is no excuse to justify it.
Called fish and game earlier this year, found this little girl in the ditch. They asked me if I had the means to help her out.
I did.
And it wasn't my fawking tire.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Terrible that people wouldn't at least make a phone call. Had to put one down with a sledge when I was younger. Something I will never forget.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Terrible that people wouldn't at least make a phone call. Had to put one down with a sledge when I was younger. Something I will never forget.

Me too one time with a pipe. Was out in the bush operating wells so at least 20km each way to go get a gun. Had a fairly hefty pipe in the truck, and at 6'4 230 thought it would take one swift blow. Nope. Was quite the ordeal.

That is why I have a little bit of empathy for the officer. Im not excusing his actions or justifying them in any way. But Im guessing what happened is he just made a really bad call in the moment. Thought rather than discharging his sidearm in a heavily populated area (with the risk and red tape that would go along with it), he would just drive over and the animals suffering would be over. Then panicked and kept making bad decisions. Maybe not. Maybe hes sick and twisted. Or really stupid. We dont know. Im sure the investigation will be done and he will be dealt with accordingly.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same for me. An hr from reception, in a work truck. Kinda shocked thinking back that they wouldn't let us carry a gun. On Numerous occasions we saw cougars and bears. Sure would of felt a lot safer cutting line surveying if I had one.

Police should be trained how to deal with this. Deer get hit every day. A quick call to staff sgt and they should be able to get approval to use there firearm.

Top Bottom