how many miles on 11-12 RMK's?

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
750 Miles on my 12, no problems. I read a lot of threads befor I bought it, I thought the motor issues were over. I warm it up well, never hold the throttle in one place, except wide open. Its a great sled, but I will not own it past the warranty period, seems to be the most cost effective way to own a sled.

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 4200 miles on my 2011 Pro, No issues. Sold it with 120lbs compression both sides.
Have 4800 miles on my 2012, and just broke a ring last week. Had no engine issues till then.
750 miles on my 2013 and counting.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 4200 miles on my 2011 Pro, No issues. Sold it with 120lbs compression both sides.
Have 4800 miles on my 2012, and just broke a ring last week. Had no engine issues till then.
750 miles on my 2013 and counting.

Just curious, what do you run for oil? I just picked up a 2011 with 1700miles and i'm trying to decided whether or not to tear into it to check rings and jugs. 4200 miles - maybe i will just leave it!

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My theory is that proper warm-up is the key so it would be interesting to know if you do this or not. I never touch my throttle until the temp is at 120 or higher. Basically I drag it out of the trailer at idle and then let it run while I put on my gear, when we leave the parking lot I am already at 125 at least then I take it easy for a few miles before I get on it hard. This gives the pistons time to heat soak and I have never had a problem. If you fire up a go it shoots my theory all to heck. If I had to guess I would think you warm yours up as well.
My theory as well, rode 2 stroke dirt bikes for many years and found that warm up is very important for a 2 stroke machine. When I was younger riding 80's I used to get too excited and took off a bit earlier then I should've and the bike lasted 2 summers till it blew up. When I rode my 125 I had that thing for 4 years, always warmed it up good and rode the s#!t out of it and never ever had an issue.Also when guys ride in lower elevations (praries) I wonder if many people change there weights back to heavier weights. Over revving the sled too much and it's days are numbered!

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 pro 163 with aerocharger turbo since day 1 with 800 miles on it without an issue running 11lbs of boost.

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1600 miles on mine & pulled top end
because of low compression & replaced pistons & rings with new
Stock ones last night & wasn't aware of fix kit also thought it was for
Dragons but will look into it next season probably unless I crack a skirt lol !!!!

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another question at what amount of miles should a guy be checking his bottom end ???

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 800 with 1100 miles with a 12.5-1 head. No issues!! Is anyone else running a little bit of oil in every tank of fuel

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 800 with 1100 miles with a 12.5-1 head. No issues!! Is anyone else running a little bit of oil in every tank of fuel

I have 819 miles on my 12 I always ad a few ounces of VES gold to the tank and warm it up good.I was one of the few that never had an issue with my 09 D800 after 3 seasons .12 is on original belt and it looks like new.This engine has never skipped a beat always hits 8100-8250 in the mountains of BC.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im at 1100 now and zero issues. Pulls strong. I have turned up my oil pump and mix a half oz of oil per gallon of gas just to be on the safe side. It pulls very strong with the carls clutching. Had the clutch balanced also, which does help with crank issues...less vibration. I always warm up the motor before taking off and also when riding if we stop for a break, I will restart and watch the temp guage for it to stabilize before taking off. I have been using Amsoil interceptor oil since the 2nd tank of fuel. Watch the amsoil interceptor test with the ski doo etec if you have any doubts about the quality of this oil. Awesome oil and I have run it in all my race cars and past sleds and motorcycles for years with zero issues.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11 PRO-2700 miles,140 hrs. compression-98-100 cold. Anyone know what the compression should be-stock?

Last edited:

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most guys are gettin around 120

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

All depends on the gauge. Check a known good sled for a comparision. Once you have a base to go buy youll have a better understanding of a good or bad engine.
Have seen some gauges out as far as 40psi

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on the gauge. Check a known good sled for a comparision. Once you have a base to go buy youll have a better understanding of a good or bad engine.
Have seen some gauges out as far as 40psi

Yahh I was checking the comp on my assault an with one gauge it took probably 20 pulls of the rope before compression stopped building then I tried another an it topped out at 135 on the third pull like normal.. first gauged freaked me out a bit since it didn't build lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

rydemx

Reaction score
12' pro 800 with 1620miles . Is running better then ever in the last two rides! (Might be a bad thing!) Just checked compression today and its got 120psi in both cylinders cold . Primary clutch just got done, was completely wore out . Went thru four belts in first 1000 miles before I finally went to a diff dealer to get my motor mounts done . Every bushing on the steering and suspension has been replaced . Running boards are cracked everywhere , they're kinda built like a popcan but I sure love riding it !

woodsRIDER92

Reaction score
On my 11 iv got 3800-4000 miles, i cant remember exactly. stock everything besides when i brought it in for a check up before the season started i got reeds warrantied and my crank was a bit out of round, so i got that trued. Other then that runs like a top! pistons and cylinders were perfect. I keep it 1/8 - 1/4 throttle just till it warms up then pin it :d

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2100 miles Now I have a new problem. Riding in the mountains, my sled ran the best it's ever ran in it's life on one day, then the next morning about 2-3 miles up the trail it seized up solid.
Started to remove the belt and motor broke loose, so rode it back to the trailer. Pulled the exhaust off and it looks like the piston blew a chunk above the rings or it melted the piston. Sure sucks when you can't finish your mountain trip.

Top Bottom