How cold is to cold to ride ?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-26 right now in Sparwood and it's too cold for this guy so off to work for some overtime so I can pay for this great sport that we all love so much.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At -20 I say its too cold and don't ride...

I have riden in colder temps many times before and they just don't stand out in my mind as good times.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm like "moyie" and "catinthehat", although I might just be a tad older than both, the computer chair for me, in place of the couch, on what I feel is a cold day! I rode a -8 day out of Fernie before Xmas and I was dam cold. The wind and the humidity was painful. It is funny, some of my "coldest" hunting days were in August and not in November nor December. It is all about the gear and layers and being prepared!

My limit is -20 unless it is one of those "have to go kind of trips". The gear today is good and layers are awesome. The part I wouldn't like would be the breakdowns and injuries. Those are tough to deal with in the cold. Sure, a fire is nice tucked in out of the wind but so is my computer chair with a fire in the furnace!

The sleds can handle it no problem. It is the body that is suspect.......:d

When I was up north, the locals rode all the time and the determined even rode in the 24 hour dark periods (6 weeks of no sun above the horizon). The difference was in the gear they carried. A komatic (sp) with everything except the kitchen sink was pulled behind. A wall tent and all the trimmings and a week/10days at a time was no problem. They make 'em tough........... north of 60!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i was younger we unloaded at the renshaw parking lot when it was a beautiful blue bird day no wind and fresh snow but -37!! never again!!!!!! Even though the trail up was groomed to perfection it still took an hour to get up there. Once we were up there it wasn't too bad. Now -20 and no wind is my limit.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-15 is my cut off!Young and dumb used to ride any temp but years of frost bite and that skin is never the same!It freezes way faster now and will be tender the rest of the year!Coldest mountain trip was in 96!Minus 48 here when we left with the logic that it's always warmer in BC!Not so!We hit Valemount to -42 in town and -25 up top in 2 feet of powder!I was running a piped 96 Ultra that I had to rejet on Goatridge!That was cold!!Try not dropping a jet with gas covered fingers!!Sled ran awesome after till the ride down when the carbs start freezing up!Quite a rodeo when you blast the throttle to bust them loose and two cylinders freeze wide open and third is half!!Get to parking lot to trucks that barely start!Might sound like a puss but had a damn chill for days after!I like riding but there will always be another day when it's warmer!Plus all the dumb crap I did when I was younger catches up to you when your in your 40's!Bike and sled wipeouts eventually give you aches and pains that makes you feel like your a senior!Plus side though is my arthritus makes me a more accurate weather forecaster than a weather satelite!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-17 with a colder windchill this morning in Revy.
If you drove a long way to get there, you will ride.
If you are staying for a while or local, you will be wrenching or telling stories off the couch or around the fire.
If it was not a concrete highway and totally fresh, All would ride.

Actually heading out Today,,, but its pretty nippy.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to set up a friggin electric heater in my office today.....no way I'd be riding if I wasn't at work! :nono:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a -10 guy. -15 if the snow is amazing. For me its no fun going out below that temperature. Any colder than -20 and I think you are really taking a chance if something were to happen in the backcountry. Not worth the risk in my opinion.......but everyone is different.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always say if it is cold enough to freeze your beer it is too dam cold to sled.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always say if it is cold enough to freeze your beer it is too dam cold to sled.
As a matter of fact my beer was a slushy even in my pickup cab when I got back to the parking lot last Saturday.Its been a weird winter for sure.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the cold weather lately takes all the fun out of sledding. it is one thing to sled in this cold and another one if you have to. the three weeks before xmas with -20 to -38 temps before xmas took all my desire to sled away. don't really care if i ride again or not.

Last edited:

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember riding 73 motoski fan cooled on some pretty cold days, in my youth, and that fan kicked out some decent heat.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well its snowing now so hopefully we can get back to talking about how deep the snow is not how cold the air is.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here it is again, -25C and a bluebird day. I think I might even look out the window at my sled on the truck and make vrmm vrmm sounds.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at work today and really don't mind how cold it is but things are starting to look like if it might warm up for my days off!!!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my Wife and My Mom out riding yesterday. never even looked to see how cold it was (Feb 8th).
Rode Ministik.

Both women had a blast and either one complained once about the cold. My neck and chin a are little sore from the cold. but if they weren't complaining, I wasn't going to either. Turned out to be a great ride.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the road back from Blue River Was -38 We'd night We showed up Thursday to - 30 Rode Sat and sun. -28 in the parking lot. The ride up and down the trail was stupid cold. Got up to a balmy -18 in the afternoon and was tolerable but that is my limit Just getting the sleds running in the morning was a major accomplishment. The stellar Blue sky's And the view made up for it !

Top Bottom