How cold is to cold to ride ?

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I getting old or is my gear getting thiner?

Whats is too cold to get out and burn some gas?

Do you really ride in the cold or just go to a shack and have a pop?

Do you pack anything extra when its extra cold?

The thing is I think my sled likes this type of cold (-20).

feel free to add anything because we all are not riding as much as we should and looking at this thing way to much...RIGHT Doug.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

feel free to add anything because we all are not riding as much as we should and looking at this thing way to much...RIGHT Doug.

Well felt super cold in Revy today and it was only -7. Windy though. Supposed to be -10tommorow. Boredom will get the best of me, so ill be riding. I have got frost bite on my face twice this year(mild). Once was 2 days ago. I find the wind, or just even the wind from riding fast is what gets to me more than the temp, just my face.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well felt super cold in Revy today and it was only -7. Windy though. Supposed to be -10tommorow. Boredom will get the best of me, so ill be riding. I have got frost bite on my face twice this year(mild). Once was 2 days ago. I find the wind, or just even the wind from riding fast is what gets to me more than the temp, just my face.

Got frostbite in 2 spots on my neck riding into Silent last year. Balaclava wasn't very well tucked in, leaving what felt like 2 drills going into my neck. It was below - 20 and cold, but it was the deepest day of the year. 50cm of fresh fell the day before and it was cold and bluebird.
I have no problem riding in temps below -20, just throw on the warmer gloves and an extra layer, top and bottom.

Sent from a Galaxy S3 far far away.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got frostbite in 2 spots on my neck riding into Silent last year. Balaclava wasn't very well tucked in, leaving what felt like 2 drills going into my neck. It was below - 20 and cold, but it was the deepest day of the year. 50cm of fresh fell the day before and it was cold and bluebird.
I have no problem riding in temps below -20, just throw on the warmer gloves and an extra layer, top and bottom.

Sent from a Galaxy S3 far far away.

Yea when its deep, hellz yeah. When the snow sucks harder to be motivated

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too cold? Every day since last Friday! :D

-10c is my limit, and I even balk at that if the wind is blowing. Yes.....I'm old, but I'm OK with that. In fact, I really like riding in May when most around here have put their sleds away for the season!

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you ride with the elderly as much as I do you find you don't go out when it is real cold. Anything below -10 to -15 and we are probably riding the couch that day.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The coldest I have ever rode was -47 C just outside of Winnipeg Rode 4 miles to a buddys had a couple of pops and went back home. I'm gad that age is upon me now, NEVER AGAIN LOL >

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode so cold one time the steering post barely turned if I went fast. The grease was freezing. It was -38 and on the trails wasn't to bad. Just stayed out of the open areas and lakes

Reactions: RXN

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice Im a -20 sort of guy, unless I have bookings then they make the call. and as far as may, june and july go... well my favourite ride almost every year is july 1st. How is it that so many riders haven't found out that deep slush and powder are just as fun? They park the sleds for golf clubs bikes and boats... rather then still sledding and golfing boating fishing.... all in the same weekend.

Im yet to ride 12 months in a year but I will.

-22 right now that seems to be to cold for a night ride.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The coldest I have ever rode was -47 C just outside of Winnipeg Rode 4 miles to a buddys had a couple of pops and went back home. I'm gad that age is upon me now, NEVER AGAIN LOL >

LOL, I grew up in northern Manitoba. We rode in -40 more times than I can count, played road hockey in it too! Coldest I've ridden recently though was Winnipeg last Christmas, -30 with winds up to 50 and going across open fields. I don't tend to sit still no matter where or how I'm riding so as long as I'm dressed for it I'm good.

If you're in the trees? There's no such thing as too cold!

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was riding in -38 and it was ok.
My experience - just needed a good helmet, preferably skidoo modular with balaclava underneath. I love when its cold.
Look at that picture below, -64 in Norilsk (Russia, eastern siberia), and people are on streets, going to work, driving cars, ice-fishing, hunting.
You Canadians are chickens, today i worked outside and all guys walked away, it was just -20.

Attachments

• 1_0.jpg
    1_0.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was -23 at the parking lot last Saturday. I got a small patch of frostbite on my neck by the chin strap. Fingers were cold when I got too main chalet and lit a fire.We warmed up for a half hour.Sun was out by then and rest of the day was good.Next time I'll stay in bed.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's crazy, I've been waaaaaaay north. -60 something without wind, without something covering your face, every breath feels like your lungs are freezing!

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, I grow up north. I won't forget the day when I was riding a bicycle in -40. Grease got like a glue and wheels were stuck, couldn't even roll it, lol.
You can't take a normal breath, need take 3 breaths instead of 1, too much pain in lungs. You can't pee outside either.

bbecker17

Reaction score
-40 good snow and suns out ---> ride
-30 good snow and no sun ---> ride
-25 bad snow and suns out ---> ride
-20 bad snow no sun ---> tell everyone you went riding but really just tinker in garage

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
spent dec ridein southern Manitoba -45c without windchill...so wheres the problem?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode in sub -30 temps before as a kid, on a touring sled with a giant wind shield. Froze my feet so bad they are still fawked,,,,No thanks,, nothing fun about that.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
-17 with a colder windchill this morning in Revy.
If you drove a long way to get there, you will ride.
If you are staying for a while or local, you will be wrenching or telling stories off the couch or around the fire.
If it was not a concrete highway and totally fresh, All would ride.

Top Bottom