Hot Dog Roast anyone???

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a thread of this somewhere either here or on SW or Dootalk, alot of this happened with the 06-07 rev, folks have some alternative theories as to why. I'll hunt it down when mine burns up.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have left my park brake on and took off with it.....nearly sent me over the bars when I let off the throttle. Check your belt as it will ''hour glass'' and on that note I had a bad vibration which I felt in my running boards turned out belt was hour glassed.

My wife's sled (04 doo 800) had the brake dragging and my theory is that there may be moisture in the brake fluid and as the brake system heats up the moisture expands and makes the brake drag.

Good luck
Chris

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I think as said earlier with the brake u would have noticed and smelt or felt the belt holding up, she is unrelated to the brake in my opinon. Possibly a oil leak but oil flashpoint is quite high some one should know that here for flash point.
Honestly If I am ever in the situation with like this with ins. coverage I will let her burn. sorry but in the end than it is a no brainer TOASTED.. :)

If I wouldnt have been at the VERY bottom of Frisby, it would have burned
but I really didnt feel like spending $1000 + on a chopper, to drag out the remains

sled was dropped of yesterday around 9am
should hear something by Friday afternoon or so :eek:

kingkat88

Reaction score
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

kingkat88

Reaction score
This happened to my brothers 06, he had an aftermarket brake leaver on it, and the latch caught just a little bit and it whent up like a candle, luckily he caught it in time and just burnt up the vents on his good, so many different scenarios!

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
park brake was left on.. seen lots of sleds like that come into the shop and well 100% park brake.. there is nothing els that can get even close enought to hot to start a fire. your just going to have to replace the parts and go ride for the rest of the year and double and tripple check ur brake is off

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm for that too, E- brake was left on. i would just admit it and call it a learning experience. Must have been pretty steep to have to put the brake on, cause the snow is deep i know i was there two weeks ago myself and didn't need to use the brake at all the snow just held it back. Maybe another less to learn here is, check your avy reports, you should not have been on any slopes that steep. If that is worse thing that happened maybe call yourself lucky.:nono:

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Milton...do you know what your talking about? Jumping to conclusions? yep

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
park brake was left on.. seen lots of sleds like that come into the shop and well 100% park brake.. there is nothing els that can get even close enought to hot to start a fire. your just going to have to replace the parts and go ride for the rest of the year and double and tripple check ur brake is off

I'm for that too, E- brake was left on. i would just admit it and call it a learning experience. Must have been pretty steep to have to put the brake on, cause the snow is deep i know i was there two weeks ago myself and didn't need to use the brake at all the snow just held it back. Maybe another less to learn here is, check your avy reports, you should not have been on any slopes that steep. If that is worse thing that happened maybe call yourself lucky.:nono:

the hill we were on was definatly less than a 30% grade, and in some VERY tight and technical trees - so....avy danger was minimal (obviously present) but was not a huge concern.
the reason I had to use the parking brake, is because I was 2nd last in line w 12 other guys breaking the trail.
One of the guys riding in our group got hung up on a tree coming down and got stuck - I waited for him and decided to walk up and help him down
it was a sidehill, that was a bit tough to manouver
I wasnt sitting in 3 ft of powder, so my sled would have down down without me, IF I would not have put the brake on

and sorry Milton - but being there 2 weeks ago and observing snowpack and then telling me it was the same last week -
is a poor statement to make
yes, it has dumped a tonne since you were there, but there has also been rain, wind, warmish temps etc..
sorry to burst your bubble, but I can guarantee the snowpack is 100% different than when you were there dude.
hell, it was different over night! we had completely different conditions from one day to the next

Milton...do you know what your talking about? Jumping to conclusions? yep

thank you ^^

while I do appreciate all of your responses, I think I need to make this clear.....again....... -

THE PARKING BRAKE WAS NOT LEFT ON

guys/gals - I would be the first to admit a mistake like this, but I know for a fact that the brake WAS not left on
So while I do appreciate the replies, I would also appreciate not coming on after 3 pages of reading and saying "yep parking brake left on"

ok...yes that is one theory, but not the correct one......

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ok, ok...i derseve that one!! Hahah!
Probably right though.......

But this is what happens when i ride cats (me, 2.5 yrs ago on my m8)

http://img193.imageshack.us/i/dsc07341b.jpg/

had to cut the tree down, eh? Logging at it's finest......... We get that a lot when sledbunnyracing is with us......he is the ultimate tree magnet........lol

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had to cut the tree down, eh? Logging at it's finest......... We get that a lot when sledbunnyracing is with us......he is the ultimate tree magnet........lol

actually I lucked out....the ski was riding up the tree, not on the other side
pulled er over and was out...steeper than it looks though

I dont cut trees down....they have feelings..........:d

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UPDATE******** 12/07/09

first estimate from the appraiser is $5800CDN damages
and this is only using $67/hr for labour - this shop charges $95/hr
my adjust said that 99% of ski doo's/bikes that go in, come back between 15-20% higher than the appraiser's estimate (due to labour usually)

she is also stating that the value came in at $7000 for the sled alone STOCK
w aftermarket's ($2500 approx.) we would be looking around the $7800-8100 mark pay out

so it looks like it will be a total loss......will foind out more after the dealer finishes their estimate (should be a day or two)

looks like i'm sled shoppin!!!!!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
update******** 12/07/09

first estimate from the appraiser is $5800cdn damages
and this is only using $67/hr for labour - this shop charges $95/hr
my adjust said that 99% of ski doo's/bikes that go in, come back between 15-20% higher than the appraiser's estimate (due to labour usually)

she is also stating that the value came in at $7000 for the sled alone stock
w aftermarket's ($2500 approx.) we would be looking around the $7800-8100 mark pay out

so it looks like it will be a total loss......will foind out more after the dealer finishes their estimate (should be a day or two)

looks like i'm sled shoppin!!!!!
how much to buy the sled back from sgi??? I would be very interested in buying it from you, if you buy it from sgi.... Let me know

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much to buy the sled back from sgi??? I would be very interested in buying it from you, if you buy it from sgi.... Let me know

not sure
there was an 09 XP that SGI had a reserve of only 2k on
cant see it being more than 1500 MAX

bro in law and i r going to buy it back and part it out
already have the engine basically sold

should be able to make a decent profit i think.....:d

Top Bottom