Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

stalefish_132

Reaction score
wow thats alot of diggin, good work guys. if i were in the area i might break in my new SOS shovel.

6 foot trench eh, how about a couple turbo Apex's make a trench for the horses lol. I live on a ranch with my mom owning 15 horses, i'm not a horse lover by any means but i do understand how you guys feel.

hows the forecast look up there? i was just thinking a nasty 4 foot dump of fresh would really put a damper on your diggin.

really if a groomer could get anywhere close, putting them to sleep and hauling them down would probably be your best bet.

mica

Reaction score
Hello there, It is nice to see how many people care . It is wonderful what some have already done for those horses !!! I think what they need are sledders which can help folks with the shuffles to get there . And every person which is willing to dig , even for a short time . I got this email down below a while ago and I thought it may answer some of your questions . The word has to get out to find more people which are willing to help on the spot . Let's make sure the horses have a Merry Christmas too :)
Please read the update :

Hi everybody, (Pete, can you please forward this to everybody on the Dunster list)
here's an update on the Renshaw horses, and at the same time I am trying to answer all the questions that people have asked me. If I forget anything, please forgive me. It's been a crazy week.
First of all, thank you to everybody who has phoned and emailed me with their concerns, advice and offers to help and spread the word around. It is greatly appreciated.
The vet and two SPCA constables were up there yesterday to assess the horses. The horses are a body score of two and the mare has most likely rainscald and frost bites (no lice), but they are eating and are very happy to hear snowmobiles coming everyday, knowing somebody cares and looks after them. They have also been blanketed with a winter blanket and a canvas blanket on top. I hadn't seen them since Thursday as the guys were taking in the vet and SPCA people so I couldn't get a ride, but I was happy to see how much better they already looked today. They are happily eating and we have been able to increase their feed according to the vet's feeding schedule.
The SPCA was at the parking lot this morning going over things with us. They will have an SPCA constable with a sled back on Monday.
The vet advised against airlifting them out, so we've kept shovelling. We still need a lot of help though, and so far it has been very poor. I realize that without a sled people can't get in, but if you know of somebody who owns one, please pass this message on and ask them if they can take another person with them as a passenger. Even if somebody can only shovel for an hour or so, anything helps. At this point, we ask people to start digging from the bottom up unless otherwise directed (the horses are in a trench in the trees just below the alpine, and therefore not that easy to get to). There are signs and flagging tape near the bottom of the hill just below the Renshaw cabin where the rescue trail will meet up with the logging road. The rescue trail is off to the left in the bush. The trail has been walked by people on snowshoes, so is clearly visible. Please park your snowmobile out of the way so nobody else runs into it. Vehicles are not allowed on the logging road as far as I know, so only sleds can get in. There is a warming hut just up the trail if people need to warm up. Please dress very warmly. It is a long, cold ride in (about 45 minutes), but you will warm up shovelling! Please bring food and something to drink for yourself. And shovels!
Since I am gone most of the day, it is best to call the local sled shop (SpinDrift) for more information at (250)-569-0070 or cell (250)-569-7213, or you can email me or call me in the evening or early morning.
I just learned that the media has been informed, and there is already an article in the PG Citizen:

As well, people can follow the thread on one of the popular sled forums:
www.snowandmud.com/forum/f3/horse-rescue-up-renshaw-10308.html
There are also pics posted on:
Snow and Mud.com - Sara Olofsson's Album: Renshaw Horse Rescue (you have to register with SnowAndMud to view them I believe).
Thanks and hope to see many of you on the mountain!
Birgit
P.S. I have attached a flyer for distribution.

Falling Star Ranch
Birgit Stutz
Chris Irwin Silver Certified Trainer and Coach
Dunster, B.C., V0J 1J0
Phone/Fax (250) 968-6801
Falling Star Ranch - Home of Arabians, Paint Horses, Quarter Horses and part-bred Arabians. Falling Star Ranch offers horse training, riding lessons, horsemanship clinics, horse sales, stud services.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen said it best with the Prince George Citizen, "They've got about a kilometre worth of trail they have to dig to get them out," They need hands on deck to help dig the trench..
Glen also said. "Because it's so cold, the snow won't pack down. You have to dig down more or less to within close to the ground so they can get out."

All hands on deck to get these horses out..

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People that are headed up renshaw to work on the rescue of the horses are asked to check in at spindrift and check out as weell, this is something that the SPCA aasked for as to just make sure that everyone gets out at the end of the day.. Seeing how some people are getting doubled in and such just so that they can hgelp out.. We dont want there to be any chance of anyone getting missed somehow and having to spend the night up there.. This is one awesome comunity that i've moved into..

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to thank the peeps on snow and mud that have been ableto help out with donations for the guys that are goinmg out in this cold weather to help the horses.. The peps are on here are some awesome.. We have also had some local people coming into the shop to drop off donations.. The money is mainly going to help pay for the gas food for the guys heading up to work get the horses out as well as pay for the feed that they are getting.. Once again i'd like to thank those that are able to help out!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
As of Sunday morning 12:30 am mtn time $ 908.00 has been raised by the members for this. WOW!! I would like to say thanks alot. I will be wireing the first funds to Barry Monday morning to put it to use. This will help alot. :d

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry tool , have never seen a 200 lb sled, back off the mean green, you need a break.
if you were to pack a trail with sleds, they may be able to walk out the next day as stated, although horse hoofs may still break through. how about sprinkling water on the trail?

Sprinkling water, and were are you going to get it from and how much will you need! Sorry not going to work, and packing a trail with sleds..I don't think so go walk on a hard enough drift that you don't fall through then lead a 1200 lbs horse on that same drift good luck!
I have read most of this thread and I am ever more impressed with the people of Mcbride. All the time and effort you have put into this is not going unnoticed!!
As for the trench possibly being to narrow and causing the horse to freak out well you guy will know the temperament of these horse's better then the rest of us. If by chance they do want to cause problem you could blind fold them, or grab a hold of an ear to keep them from fighting to much.
I wish you all luck in the effort and will be thinking of you, if the horses are still in there after Christmas I will PM BBtoys to see what I can bring to help out in this.
Regards
Darin

Ryan7

Reaction score
I am the furhest thing from a cowboy, but I do know that you can put snowshoes on horses. Could this be an option?

How much further do they have to shovel a trail?

Shawn Alain

Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleysentinel.com
I am the furhest thing from a cowboy, but I do know that you can put snowshoes on horses. Could this be an option?
Ya I did a google search and found this Snow Shoes for the Gaited Horse
moresns.jpg

vicki

Reaction score
Hi there.... I saw the news article last night about these poor horses. Thank-you so much for everything you all are doing to save them.

I live in Vancouver and I'm wondering how I can make a donation towards helping them out, sorry I could not find the info anywhere.. probably missed it. (I'd like to also post the info on another forum I am on, if that is okay.... in case someone else wants to pitch in.)

You guys are great! This sure is a wonderful community pulling together to help these guys out.

I hope that the guy who left them behind to starve is charged!

Thank-you,
Vicki

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hi there.... I saw the news article last night about these poor horses. Thank-you so much for everything you all are doing to save them.

I live in Vancouver and I'm wondering how I can make a donation towards helping them out, sorry I could not find the info anywhere.. probably missed it. (I'd like to also post the info on another forum I am on, if that is okay.... in case someone else wants to pitch in.)

You guys are great! This sure is a wonderful community pulling together to help these guys out.

I hope that the guy who left them behind to starve is charged!

Thank-you,
Vicki

Go to the main forum page and scroll down on the left side.There's a link to donate.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Is there businesses around the area (Prince George?) that could lend a couple bigger snow blowers to help cut down on some shovel time....if you just walk in front of it with shovels knocking down the snow pile and use the snowblower to throw the snow might be quicker and a save on the backs a bit.
is there any signs up and the cabin or even the hotels directing people towards the effort?.....as much as I would like to think EVERY snowmobiler is member here....there maybe quite a few there that does not know what is going on and maybe they could give up a little shovel time :d

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
I did mention the snowblower thing to bbtoys. Pretty hard to haul a big snowblower up there on a skimmer. It's also too hard to try and snowblow a 6 to 8 foot wall of snow.

The best way is the way they are going about it now. He's gone up there today with some locals to do some more digging. They are really hoping to get them out by Christmas. Hopefully he remembers to take some pictures today.

Shawn Alain

Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleysentinel.com
Ok, everyone, here's the update.
I had chosen NOT to contact the media as of yet, out of respect for the people working up there, and to allow the SPCA to assess the situation. I see now that someone has gone ahead and contacted Global?
We were going to contact our local nearest newsteam when needed.

Birgit has wrote a story for us in The Valley Sentinel but we sent this to press on Friday so it won't have the weekend update on this until our Dec 31 issue. Hopefully that will be a story with a happy ending.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was ready to send a donation using paypal when I noticed it is american and changing the dollar rate. Sorry, I have a problem with that. Is there someone we can then mail a cheque to in McBride? We shouldn't have to convert and lose our money to help out when this is still in B.C. not the U.S. Thanks and keep up the good work to all those volunteering.

really459

Reaction score
You guys ROCK!!! Thank you so much for helping these horses to safety. There are many horse lovers praying for you all.

Also I would get this on the local news asap so people will come help dig!!!:d

clark

Reaction score
Met the owner

I was at the cabin on Sunday Dec. 7. The owner was there with 2 guys that were making a trail down to them. His story was that on Sept 12 he was packing in supplies to a woman that was walking the great divide. The horses got stuck in the muskeg and got tired and wouldn't follow him. He left them, He said he never went back to look for them until OCT 22. then tese 2 snowmobilers seen them on Sat Dec. 6. I asked him if he had a gun and he said no. I would of shot them. 2 The 2 snowmobilers that went down to them Kudo's not many people could get in and out of there on that day and you couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. The Idiot that owned the horses should of started this back on sept 13.

Top Bottom