Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

Wanderlust

Reaction score
THANKS FOR COMING TO VIEW THIS THREAD, IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT DONATING PLEASE CLICK ON THE SNOWANDMUD HEADER AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE MAIN PAGE, ON THE LEFT SIDE HALF WAY DOWN YOU WILL FIND A DONATE TAB, THANKYOU.

So I know that there has been mention of stranded horses up in the Renshaw riding area in another thread, but this is just a quick note letting all of you know that there are some local people doing what they can to get these guys out. A few went in yesterday with hay and today (Dec. 17) a crew of 9 locals went up to start digging the 2 horses out. They spent the day digging through 6 ft of snow and more help is needed. I just want to put the word out, that if you're up there and can give an hour to help dig, it would be much appreciated. At this stage of the game it's obviously only sledders getting in and out of there and so we're the only ones who can make this happen.
Directions: when you're in the cabin and looking out the back window, the horses and the start of the digging is in the far bowl along the treeline

Again, any help no matter how little time you can give is appreciated. Let's get these critters out and give them a fighting chance. Thanks and best of the holiday to everyone on snow and mud!

Last edited by a moderator:

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone contacted the RCMP and humane society. Maybe they will foot the bill for a 2 chopper trips with a sling?

Wanderlust

Reaction score
Has anyone contacted the RCMP and humane society. Maybe they will foot the bill for a 2 chopper trips with a sling?
These horses are way the F. up there. As far as I know we still don't have an SPCA rep here in the area and this is the kind of scenario where the RCMP don't really get involved. Slinging out with a chopper is a good idea and definitely one that's been thrown around-wouldn't it be awesome if we could get a few people (including the owner in Alberta) to chip in for the cost of slinging them out?

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a question how did they get up there in the first place? Also once we get them out by the cabin who says that they will go down the trail?
That might sound stupid but I am confused of why their there. I am planning on comming up this weekend.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
just a question how did they get up there in the first place? Also once we get them out by the cabin who says that they will go down the trail?
That might sound stupid but I am confused of why their there. I am planning on comming up this weekend.
Hey there-so this is just heresy, but the horses are in there after having been left by a rider (?) who was up there in October. For whatever reason, he walked out and there they are. I don't know what the whole scenario was, but I want to believe that this person believed that they would come out on their own. I also want to make it known that there is no judgement being made against this person-it just is the way it is and those of us with a conscience want to help these animals out. And you're right about the trail-it's a long way to the parking area where we can get them trailered, but once out of the bowl, we're hoping that the trail will be packed enough so that they can be lead out.

sheldon11

Reaction score
Well that is a crappy thing and if somone was willing to organize a chopper sling trip out for these two horses i would be willing to throw in a couple of hundred bucks so lets see if we can get enough money together i can't see it being more than a couple of thousand dollars......anyone who knows about doing somthing like this pm me....here is my pledge, lets get this going and see if we can save these horses.......

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Are the horses verified alive?...have they been spotted recently?....maybe try the global news people helper?...betya if they air it someone will step forward to help. If someone wants to take the reins of this I think I still have Erin Harrisons email and phone # from the dometic fridge recall I can PM it to you

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not gonna past judgement but i would be willing to throw some cash in also. I think that is the safe way to do this. What if they get spooked and run into a worse area and get hurt? Are they friendly and can be approached? Let me know what the plan is an i will help out.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how long have they been stuck? they must be gettin thin by now, possilby gettin frost bite with the cold weather, good luck gettin them out it doesn't sound like it's going to be easy.:d

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problem passing judgment. the owner should be made responsible for these animals regardless of the circumstances. they abandoned those animals and should be forced to pay the costs.

rsw84

Reaction score
not passing judgement either but i am also a horse owner and would never treat em in such a way..... would you leave yur sled/quad back in there for someone else to take the responsibility of bringing back out>>? didnt think so!! im sure we could scrape together some cash but it would be cool if we could find out who the owner is before...... ???

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not passing judgement either but i am also a horse owner and would never treat em in such a way..... would you leave yur sled/quad back in there for someone else to take the responsibility of bringing back out>>? didnt think so!! im sure we could scrape together some cash but it would be cool if we could find out who the owner is before...... ???

I would agree with that staement 100%. I hate seeing animals treated like that. So what kinda of shape is the horses in? They must be getting sick or thin?

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that is a crappy thing and if somone was willing to organize a chopper sling trip out for these two horses i would be willing to throw in a couple of hundred bucks so lets see if we can get enough money together i can't see it being more than a couple of thousand dollars......anyone who knows about doing somthing like this pm me....here is my pledge, lets get this going and see if we can save these horses.......

I had a friend get his sled out by chopper last year in Renshaw, and it cost him $2000.00. You'd need two trips, so you can double that. If the chopper company would help out (reduce rate?) it may be possible. I'd help out two, but one has to also consider, if the horses are rescued, where do they go then? Is there someone in the area that would be willing to take them and care for them? If not, they'd be in the same boat as now. If not, then it would be better to get them down to an altitude that has much less snow, then, as horses are a hardy breed, they would be able to survive by pawing for feed. Wild horses do this, the problem in this case is that the animals are in an area that doesn't allow for pawing as the snow is too deep.

rsw84

Reaction score
so who is the mystery plow-boy ?????
we were coming back to town from the renshaw parking lot at about 8:30
on friday night dec 12 and there was a couple people on the side of the road looking for lost horses. i cant imagine them looking for the same ones ????
but either way im guessing there isnt a whole buncha a water out there or food or shelter so im guessing by the time something happens these horses there not gonna have the strength to walk out or to be lifted out

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com

They are mountain pack horses whose owner got stuck in a snowstorm. The horses were very tired and could not go any further. Some sledders gave the guy (from Edson/Hinton area) a ride out, but the horses were abandoned. The guy never came back to get them when the weather got better.

Personally, I think the guy should be charged (or left out in the cold to freeze and starve).

Anyways, there is a big group of locals working to get them out. They have been taking food up to them all week and the horses are eating and getting some strength back. The guys are physically digging a path in the deep snow for them (about a kilometer+ long). The horses will then be led out to the snowmobile trail about km27 and on down the mountain. There are alot of people here that are working very hard to save these horses. Gotta love McBride!!!!!

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can we get the groomer up or a quad up to push some of the snow? just a question might be a dumb one but might make it faster and easier?

rsw84

Reaction score
[
Personally, I think the guy should be charged (or left out in the cold to freeze and starve).

im liking the latter !!!

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are mountain pack horses whose owner got stuck in a snowstorm. The horses were very tired and could not go any further. Some sledders gave the guy (from Edson/Hinton area) a ride out, but the horses were abandoned. The guy never came back to get them when the weather got better.

Anyways, there is a big group of locals working to get them out. They have been taking food up to them all week and the horses are eating and getting some strength back. The guys are physically digging a path in the deep snow for them (about a kilometer+ long). The horses will then be led out to the snowmobile trail about km27 and on down the mountain. There are alot of people here that are working very hard to save these horses. Gotta love McBride!!!!!

Kudos to these guys. It makes me wonder about this guy. If the snow was deep enough for sledders, what's he doing there with horses anyway? The owner should be charged for abandoning them, and be somehow barred from bringing horses up there again. You have to take responsibility for your domestic animals, you can't just let them starve.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys:

I know I am going to take some flack for this - but this appears to be a whole lot of effort for little or no upside. So let the flaming begin. Let me preface this with the fact that I own a large number of horses and other animals, and would be considered by most who have met me to be an animal lover. But I think emotions in these situations overtake reason.

In my opinion, I think the most humane thing to do in the circumstances is to quickly give them a lead injection. Take the $2,000 or $4,000 or whatever it is going to cost to get these horses out of there, and give it to the Salvation Army, Christmas Bureau, etc. to give some kids a chance this Xmas.

So - lets say you actually get a chopper to come in to sling these horses out - after you get a vet up there to sedate them, etc. This would be nothing like getting a sled out - they move on their own. Plus generally - horses are unpredictable and generally idiots in any situation where they are frightened.

What happens next? The idiot who left them there sure as h*ll isn't going to claim them - so they end up in the "pound" according to the various livestock acts. They have to keep them for 60 days, and after that are sold. Bottom end horses right now are going for slaughter at about $200 to $250 per horse. Appears you would cover less than 20% of the expenses. And they are still going to be dead at the end of it. Better humanely dealing with it up there - than putting these animals through the unessesary stress of trying to get them out.

That is not to say the idiot who got stuck up there shouldn't be dealt with. If it were me - to pay for his stupidity I would march him up there and make him do the deed. I will pass judgement. If they were left up there because some guy got snowed in and couldn't get them out- he should have done the right thing and hiked right back up with a rifle and dealt with the situation humanely. The number of idiots with horses knows no limit - I see it time and time again.

Yes - this is a chitty situation. But sometimes you just have to make a hard decision.

Sorry - rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom