Home Insurance for hail & wind???

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
House insurance is due end of Nov. Looking over the invoice I see a new premium for $573 (on top of the regular premium) for hail and windstorm coverage.
Is this something others have seen? Or is it just a Wawanesa thing?

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am seeing the same Wawanesa thing. Starting to get some other quotes. Wawanesa has been good before this.

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Wawanesa for everything. My house insurance was just renewed 2 weeks ago and I didn't have that on my policy.???

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Wawanesa for everything. My house insurance was just renewed 2 weeks ago and I didn't have that on my policy.???

Looks like it may have been applied to areas with recent high claims. Whitecourt had some major wind damage claims this summer.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you haven't made a claim yr rates should stay the same...I have a roofing company and i know for a fact people who make claims see there rates go up!!!my 2 cents

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you haven't made a claim yr rates should stay the same...I have a roofing company and i know for a fact people who make claims see there rates go up!!!my 2 cents

I JUST got my bill and they tacked on 538.00 to our insurance. I will also be going elsewhere as we haven't had a claim. Its total BS. Would definitely like to hear where other people are getting their insurance and if other companies are tacking on money for wind and hail insurance. Also received a letter from Wawanesa saying that from now on the deductible on all wind and hail claims would be $1500?? Insurance companies are crooks.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is mainly due to the last 2 summers, where hail has pretty much decimated some places such as Millet A.B, i worked there all last summer doing hail damage repairs, about 85 percent of the homes had there complete exterior destroyed costing millions, in my experiences with wawanesa, they are a horrible company. And thats coming from the contractors end of it, the nightmares they caused most of my clients in that area was unreal, i personally wouldnt use that company for anything.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is mainly due to the last 2 summers, where hail has pretty much decimated some places such as Millet A.B, i worked there all last summer doing hail damage repairs, about 85 percent of the homes had there complete exterior destroyed costing millions, in my experiences with wawanesa, they are a horrible company. And thats coming from the contractors end of it, the nightmares they caused most of my clients in that area was unreal, i personally wouldnt use that company for anything.

So my question is whether or not this is a Wawanesa money grab or an industry wide change. I'm pissed bcz my insurance went up last year with no explanation and this year again with no GOOD explanation. Our house is 65 years old (renovated) and in a housing market that has been stale for 3-4 years now??? I have put in a query with the Insurance Bureau of Canada. We will see what the response is???

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a side note, if you did have any hail damage and are getting your siding replaced, look into Hardie Board siding. It's durable and slightly fire proof. Obviously more expensive than traditional siding, but if you can convince your insurance company to pay for it, or pay for the cost of what regular siding would be and cover the rest, you should NOT see an increase in rates, but rather a decrease.

Just figured I'd share in case anyone was interested. :) see link below.

Home Siding | House Siding from James Hardie

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was the response to my inquiry with the Insurance Bureau of Canada. Can't say I'm surprised: they've been turning their backs on consumers while Insurers bend us over for years:

Thank you for the inquiry. We understand that Wawanesa Insurance have amended their rating methods on their Home Policies. While this is new to Alberta homeowners it is also within their right for Wawanesa to do so. As for your options, you can accept their offer, consider increasing your deductibles in order to obtain a lower premium or you could ask your broker to check their other insurance companies to see if a more competitive policy could be obtained.
Hope this helps,

(Please address any email response to) <mailto:

David McRae, FCIP
Consumer Information Officer

Insurance Bureau of Canada | Alberta & the North
T: 780.969.3190 l F: 780.423.4796
Toll free: 800-377-6378 <mailto: <mailto:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow maybe others will be increasing also, I have been lucky no storms here.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Well That explains everything...

This was the response to my inquiry with the Insurance Bureau of Canada. Can't say I'm surprised: they've been turning their backs on consumers while Insurers bend us over for years:

Thank you for the inquiry. We understand that Wawanesa Insurance have amended their rating methods on their Home Policies. While this is new to Alberta homeowners it is also within their right for Wawanesa to do so. As for your options, you can accept their offer, consider increasing your deductibles in order to obtain a lower premium or you could ask your broker to check their other insurance companies to see if a more competitive policy could be obtained.
Hope this helps,

(Please address any email response to) <mailto:

David McRae, FCIP
Consumer Information Officer

Insurance Bureau of Canada | Alberta & the North
T: 780.969.3190 l F: 780.423.4796
Toll free: 800-377-6378 <mailto: <mailto:

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my question is whether or not this is a Wawanesa money grab or an industry wide change. I'm pissed bcz my insurance went up last year with no explanation and this year again with no GOOD explanation. Our house is 65 years old (renovated) and in a housing market that has been stale for 3-4 years now??? I have put in a query with the Insurance Bureau of Canada. We will see what the response is???

I haven't heard of any other companies jacking their rates because of it, I've dealt with intact, wawanesa, co-operators, and peace hills, wawanesa has been the only complaint and that was from roughly 30 clients, to which I simply gave up even dealing with because of the chit show their insurance company was laying on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a side note, if you did have any hail damage and are getting your siding replaced, look into Hardie Board siding. It's durable and slightly fire proof. Obviously more expensive than traditional siding, but if you can convince your insurance company to pay for it, or pay for the cost of what regular siding would be and cover the rest, you should NOT see an increase in rates, but rather a decrease.

Just figured I'd share in case anyone was interested. :) see link below.

Home Siding | House Siding from James Hardie

The insurance will cover the cost to replace what is existing on the house, if the homeowner Wishes to upgrade to Harding-plank, the homeowner will pick up the extra over and above costs. I did several of them the last year for this reason. Btw the hardi-plank is by far one of the best products on the market, and the fire rating of it is incredible as rowdy stated. I've used the product for roughly 6 years and not a complaint yet.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The insurance will cover the cost to replace what is existing on the house, if the homeowner Wishes to upgrade to Harding-plank, the homeowner will pick up the extra over and above costs. I did several of them the last year for this reason. Btw the hardi-plank is by far one of the best products on the market, and the fire rating of it is incredible as rowdy stated. I've used the product for roughly 6 years and not a complaint yet.

How much more $$$ compared to "normal" siding?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

2 years ago I replaced my vinyl with hard board. Vinyl was $1.15 per sq ft hard board was $3.50 per sq ft. But 100% no comparison to that vinyl crap

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's roughly twice as much Dave, a bit more work to install but then you have something on the exterior that is there for a very long time

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little research reveals that the insurance companies made profits of over $100 Billion last year, and yet prices keep going up!! A quick link for those dissatisfied with rising insurance prices and declining Insurance company services... Tell your story and share the link in the hopes that a multitude of voices is loud enough to be heard:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk, up again. Home policy $2528 plus another $895 for hail and windstorm coverage.
Between home, auto, boat and toy insurance it's 7k a year. Somethings gotta change.

For you guys out of the fire protection area, who are you using that's not robbing you?

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk, up again. Home policy $2528 plus another $895 for hail and windstorm coverage.
Between home, auto, boat and toy insurance it's 7k a year. Somethings gotta change.

For you guys out of the fire protection area, who are you using that's not robbing you?

I use Drayden out of Morinville not sure if they cover your area but they have an office in Leduc. I'm semi protected but nobody could even come close. $1200 ish a year (closest was 1800), they classified me as a hobby farm with an extra 5k for livestock and 5k for outbuildings above and beyond the shop.

Top Bottom