Garage Interior Finish Ideas

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm building a decent sized garage beside my house, and wondering what options are out there the you guys have seen for finishing the interior walls / ceilings. I've seen some interlocking PVC panels that look pretty nice, but I'm not sold on the idea. It seems as though you would still want some OSB in behind. I was also considering just a low profile aluminum siding.

Ideally, I want something white to keep it bright in there. Half is 11ft walls with a flat ceiling, the other half is 14ft walls with scissor trusses. I'm trying to keep it somewhat a premium finish to match the executive style house it's going beside, more for the resale value down the road as this is not our forever home.

garage11.png
garage12.png

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DelPro. Can strap with 1x4 instead of osb. Home Hardware in Camrose is a dealer. Easy to work with, nice smooth finish.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do a drywall finish. Scuff X paint from Benjamin Moore is incredible and durable. You can wash year old Jager bombs off the wall with spray nine and it won’t wreck the finish. That paint is tough. Only downside is the sheens are shiny even flat is kind of like a Home Depot egg shell.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 yrs later the painted walls are still good.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think painted drywall looks best for a garage.

Not durable enough and shows the dings. Glue frp on top that shat. Or plywood/osb.

Frp is bright white, you can pressure wash it if installed properly, fairly strong to hold decent screw loads without anchors. it’s textured so blemishes don’t show. Patch old holes with a dab of white silicone. $500 to somebody that can punch a hole through frp glued to drywall on video!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not durable enough and shows the dings. Glue frp on top that shat. Or plywood/osb.

Frp is bright white, you can pressure wash it if installed properly, fairly strong to hold decent screw loads without anchors. it’s textured so blemishes don’t show. Patch old holes with a dab of white silicone. $500 to somebody that can punch a hole through frp glued to drywall on video!

Paint and drywall is easy to repair. Any frp Ive seen looks like crap. It is durable though if the glue sticks.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FRP will not come loose if prepped and applied with the correct adhesive.
Use it for lots of commercial jobs.
Super tough even when drywall is the backer.
Very easy to clean.
$$$$$
4' up from base of wall will catch virtually all hits, no need for full wall height.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i see it on comercial jobs lots too. Not a fan. But going to 4ft looks ok. Thats the route id go if you were to use it.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FRP will not come loose if prepped and applied with the correct adhesive.
Use it for lots of commercial jobs.
Super tough even when drywall is the backer.
Very easy to clean.
$$$$$
4' up from base of wall will catch virtually all hits, no need for full wall height.
Many years ago I used to work with my Dad installing FRP in food processing facilities. It was always about prep and taking the actual time and effort to install it properly. Make nice cuts with the trim etc.. I now notice FRP a lot and see many a crappy job. I think some installers just slap it on as quickly as possible and hope for the best. Super tough and easy to clean for sure!

Smelled a lot of adhesive back then....probably explains a lot...

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I go to many sites with FRP on drywall where the drywall is full of mould. They wash the walls with pressure washers and these areas are exposed to a lot of moisture. Typically these are commercial meat or bakery service applications. We have changed this to Denshield where walls are covered in panels seems to solve the issue with some regular maintenance.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you and the guys that bult my shop had the same interior designer? I like the 4ft checker plate surround on the wall and windows.

View attachment 260532
Looks really good. I own a painting company so I am my own designer. But whoever did your garage was onto something it looks good

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did my entire shop with tin. I will probably always do this on any new build going forward.

Pros:
- easy to clean
- virtually impenetrable to water ( you’ll notice most car washes use tin)
- makes the space extremely bright

Cons:
- not cheap, need someone who knows what they are doing to install
- mounting things to the wall is a bit harder but not impossible.

4d6c50e9a34b4f13a772a0c2a00f91d2.jpg

63929011cc15a1597c5dca1e673b3b3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 18177083-E28C-4D48-9024-F6862431E152.jpeg
    18177083-E28C-4D48-9024-F6862431E152.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 106

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trusscore looks like good stuff. Wish I would have went with it instead of drywall. Another good product is AG liner.

Top Bottom