hmm

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much does the oil on the rod bearing and piston, and even the crank bearings compress on firing of cylinder. is it enough to effect cylinder compression. like 10 to 15 psi or less? :beer:

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 stroke or 4 stroke , no it should not make that much diffrence ' no oil on a hydrolic valve train oh yeah

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

just wondering how much will oil compress in a motor on the firing stroke, will it be enough to affect overall compression.

for a number only would a 3 mil oil film compress to 1 mil thickness, thats 2 mil from top of cylinder, should be a loss in compression right.

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rod and crank bearings not at all. Oil on the cylinders and rings will effect it somewhat compared to a completly dry piston ring set.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm just thinking that an oil film on a bearing should compress, resulting in loss of compression, how much?
how much force on the rod {piston etc} will be exerted upon cylinder firing, will 500 lbs compress the oil film enough to affect compression, someone must have some idea. i got chit on about the break in ordeal. where are the hi tech dudes .

Last edited by a moderator:

NIDAHOBOONDOCKER

Reaction score
Had to read that twice. :confused: Oil film in a rod bearing would not vary the compression. More is dependant upon the rod bearing condition. I'll say thats a fact. I suppose it could evect the squish but very slightly. Read a little more here on this....

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't really compress a liquid! I think water compresses like .5 to 1 % at 50,000 psi. All you can do is displace a liquid. You can push the oil out of rod or crank bearing, but then they fail. (metal on metal) There is only 0.001" - 0.003" or so of clearance in a beearing. (Obviously there are some exceptions) Even if you have that much rod and piston drop, would make only minimal difference. "My two cents"

Top Bottom