High quality GM's

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have posted pics of my 2010 GMC 2500hd bumpers before and when i was at work i had a close look at a few other pickups. I can't believe the the chitty quality of these trucks. I was told that the reason for the rust on my bumpers is due to me not drying the bumpers off after i wash the truck. Funny that the the rust did not start until winter time but it has nother to do with cheap chrome and road salt.
First pics are of my truck. The white one is a 2009 1/2 ton with 37,000km on it and the last few are a 2011 not sure of the km's.

Attachments

• front bumper.jpg
    front bumper.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 562
  • rear bumper.jpg
    rear bumper.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 562
  • Randy's 2009.jpg
    Randy's 2009.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 557
  • 2011 encore truck.jpg
    2011 encore truck.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 574
  • 2011 front bumper.jpg
    2011 front bumper.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 571
  • 2011 bumper.jpg
    2011 bumper.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 568

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chitty. They won't do anything about it?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not saying your right or wrong, fords are the same, i attribute it to road rash as in rock dings. :d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow thats chitty ild drive that thing right through their front door with that crap.
had same issue on my ford running boards, rusting around 30k or so, service guy says its rock chips causing it i said come look there isnt even a fuggin rock chip, inside, the fenderwells at the rear wtf are the boards rusting,?:confused: they replaced them. had no answer for me when i asked him that. chitty products nowadays they are all the same i think.

now i gottta find a way to get warrenty for a rock pushing the running board up to the door.:confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes: frigggen rocks. hit ya when you least expect it.:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not saying your right or wrong, fords are the same, i attribute it to road rash as in rock dings. :d

>40k come on dooin seriuosly? you must work for the man.:nono:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's not good, I'll have to take a look at mine. i'll be pissed if it starts doing that.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 is doing the same thing.

I can't speak for the vehicles in your pictures because they look a bit dirty, but my vehicles is hand rubbed and shammied everywash and i am still getting rust on the front bumpers.

It looks like its coming from rock chips but is the plating so thin that it cannot withstand a tiny rock?

All my driving has been on Road with less than 50 kms of gravel. Oh and i have 42 000 kms...

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Some spots are rock dings but my back bumper does not have one chip in it and its the worst. I put on around 60k a year and usullay sell my trucks with about 180k on them and i have never had a bumper rust this bad. The dealer is warrentying the bumpers and running boards but they will only be shiny for the summer then its back to the same crap rust spots next winter.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wash your truck mor often! I just got rid of my 08 duramax and it had 158000km on it and not a single rust spot on it! But I washed it regularly because I didn't want rust on my truck.

cdnsledder

Reaction score
Wash your truck mor often! I just got rid of my 08 duramax and it had 158000km on it and not a single rust spot on it! But I washed it regularly because I didn't want rust on my truck.

396,000 kms on my 04.5 duramax and no rust on the chrome... not even on the factory nerfbars. I dont know about the new iron but i wash mine pretty often and no worries (about the bumpers anyway, i have paint issues but meh... lots of miles on her)

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is pretty bad, mine at around 50,000 isnt near that bad but it happens. They use the thinest chrome they can to keep costs down along with other things. Do you want shinney thick chrome bumpers or extra cost to the price cause thats what would happen (Besides chrome sucks anyways:d). And your rear bumper, I guarantee there's rock chips in it. Its the same with the paint.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boards are doing the same thing, i wash it regularly. Not daily in the winter but once a week on most occasions. I also attribute this to thin chrome. Seems evrything is going the same way with higher prices and crappier materials.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wifes 2010 GMC with 10,000 Kms also doing the same thing, I keep my truck very clean and shammied after every wash, and is hardly ever left sitting with salt on it and parked in a heated garage, no excuse for it, also we have good mud flaps on her truck and stock tires and it is getting rock chips in the rockers like crazy I cant imagine what the rockers on trucks without flaps look like, Cheap azz GM's that we a pay a fortune for:realmad:

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not pretty and would p*ss one off. I have an '07 GMC with no issues, so it has to be the "new and improved version"!!!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took some bumpers off a newer truck the other day to have them powdercoated. to my suprise when i pulled off the plastic covers on the bumpers it had almost completely eaten through the coating and metal......only a 2 year old truck well taken care of.

i had an 86 dodge that had less rust than your truck in the pictures....not even joking

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they're hit or miss. I had an 05 Half ton that had similar rusting after it's first winter. But I now have an 08 Duramax with 156 000km on some real chitty roads with no rust to speak of.

:dunno:

pipeliner

Reaction score
Have a 07.5 Duramax, chrome was perfect. Then needed a new front bumper this fall, that one now has some rust spots. Chroming process must be less than what it used to be.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had an 81, 98 Z71, 04 2500, 07 1/2 ton, and now this 2010 and none of my old trucks had rust except for the 98 on the rear quarter panel above the exhaust which was pretty common for those trucks. I use my truck but i also maintain them religiously because it makes me money and i don't want beat up or broken equipment. Washing and polishing has nothing to do with this issue, its just a cheap product and its a shame to hear that the other maufactures are having the same issue.

Top Bottom