Help I'm in over my head

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 800 Rev that has been converted to a 151" Risers new tunnel and a bunch of other goodies. I paid 5500 for it. Real nice and it runs great around my lawn. Much to the disdain of my neighbours I might add. Here's the thing I have 0 experience riding a sled and am looking for any pointers for a complete newb. From where to get gear in the Fort Mac area to good riding areas and what I should bring with.

Please be gentle I may be new here but I ain't new.:p

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 34

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new sled!! You can go online to Klim canada and they have lots of good riding gear and will direct you to the closest dealer. Don't know Ft. Mac at all so can't get you any other info. I'm sure lots of guys on here can though.

Safe riding!! :beer::d:beer:

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't leave home with out a couple of spare spark plugs, spare belt & some tools to do some fixing. I always carry spare fuel and something for towing a dead sled.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get out and practice. Don't ride alone and don't be forced into doing something you feel is beyond your abilities. That's the fastest way to get hurt and wreck your sled. Ride with some patient guys who can give you some tips. I know some guys on here will tell you that you have to push the limits to learn to be a good rider. Eventually...yes you will but you'll know when that is. I have the 04 800 and that's a pretty powerful machine to learn on. Get to know what you and your machine are capable of and maintain your sled so it doesn't let you down out on the snow. Get a good helmet boots and gloves. You don't need Klim gear to enjoy your ride. But don't buy Walmart Crap either. Always keep with you at least 2 forms of fire starter and a saw and know how to use them. Get a good thermal blanket, not the $3 kind but the $15 type. Takes up very little room and could save your life. Most of all.....use common sense. Have a great time:beer:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RE: just purchased a 2005 800 Rev that has been converted to a 151" Risers new tunnel and a bunch of other goodies. I paid 5500 for it. Real nice and it runs great around my lawn. Much to the disdain of my neighbours I might add. Here's the thing I have 0 experience riding a sled and am looking for any pointers for a complete newb. From where to get gear in the Fort Mac area to good riding areas and what I should bring with.

Please be gentle I may be new here but I ain't new

Get a helmet, decent clothing & good gear is essential, make smart decicions based on your riding experience, wont be long maybe 500-600 miles and shouldnt be any issues. Find some buddies, oh as well dont be a boozer wait till you parked for the night, because things happen fast. Enjoy

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a number of cut lines and trails around Fort McMurray that you can explore. Across the clearwater river (by the snye) there are a number of trails that will take you on spectacular rides. When the clearwater river is good and frozen you can head south and make your way to the ski hill, from there you can trail ride it out to Gregoire lake and up to stony mountain.

All kinds of riding, don't have to worry about ditch banging at all, too many trails to explore.

As for gear, carry some plugs, wrenches, belt, gas, saw, and a tow strap of some kind. There are only a couple of places in McMurray for good winter gear for sledding, suggest you make a trip to one of the cities and price out some gear there after you check out the local market, it'll pay to shop around.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world lol........I too am from Ft Mac and bought my first sled last year. The trail riding here is awesome they go on for ever. Buy your gear in Edmonton, I bought mune from Riverside in St Albert. Do not cheap out on gear. You need boots, pants, jacket, balaclava, helmet, goggles and gloves at a minimum. Then on the trail, gas, tow rope, fire starter, some food and drink, shovel, and a riding buddy.

I hit Revy last year and became addicted too mountain sledding but still like the rides out here. So mountains you will need shovel, beacon, probe and backpack.

I notice the name, you must have a Harley too, me as well lol. Pm if you up for a ride some time this winter, I am in Anzac

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So mountains you will need shovel, beacon, probe and backpack.

You'll also need some training to go along with that Avy gear......

Be smart, don't get pushed into something you're not comfortable with.

And like blastoff said - leave the drinking til after the ride. Alcohol impairs and also dehydrates - two things that will slow reaction time - and believe me when we say things happen fast, often times too fast - you don't want to have any slower reaction time than normal.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done lots of riding around Anzac and its awesome. After a good snow and people start riding just show up at the bar around noon and i'm sure there will be plenty of people more than willing to show you around. If i'm up there this winter i will let you know.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you go and buy a really good sled, so you can have 45 gallon drum of fuel with you because those sleds are so hard on gas that you need to bring a drum with you sledding.......LOL Just kidding you will get hooked. Good luck
Mach123

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Four seasons is reasonable if your looking at KLIM gear, found them to be cheaper then Martins. If your going to the mountains take an avalanche course. Beacon, shovel and probe are a must. First aid kit and thermal blanket. I carry a 6 by 8 tarp just in case. Spark plugs and spare belt or two, two rope, assortment of nuts and bolts, duct tape and bailing wire. A couple of types firestarter, spare mitts/gloves. Lots of gatorade or water, leave the alcohol back at home. A decent saw is handy to.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
untill you get the miles under your belt , ride with people who know what they're doing. it's the best way to a long enjoyable life.:beer:

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input, I espescially like the "show up at the bar at noon" advice. It's a good reason to go to Anzac and check out the new blonde waitress there! I will definatly look into taking the avalanche course before I head to BC. The trip is already being planed by the guy's I know around these parts.

How different can it be from a motorcycle ? :eek:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya man the anzac bar has some really nice waitress's there. But seriously, noon on a weekend and there's usually 20-30 sledders there and the anzac poker rally in february is a blast. If nothing else i should be there for that with a crew. How many km's are on your sled. The 05's have bad rings so if it still has original pistons and over 3000 km put a new set in and save your motor. I love my 05

Reaction score
It's got a little over 1500 km on her, in all around good shape. I'm a big fella 6'3" and 280lbs and the sled makes me feel little. It seems sound mechanically as far as I can tell. Just gonna redo fluids plugs etc.Gotta find me a manual to get around her though. I figure after this year either I'll be completely hooked on sledding or in a full body cast and have to buy a new toy :)

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's got a little over 1500 km on her, in all around good shape. I'm a big fella 6'3" and 280lbs and the sled makes me feel little. It seems sound mechanically as far as I can tell. Just gonna redo fluids plugs etc.Gotta find me a manual to get around her though. I figure after this year either I'll be completely hooked on sledding or in a full body cast and have to buy a new toy :)

Check this link out -- it's for an 04 but should help.
http://chadt.us/snowmobilemanuals/s2004/mmr2004_rev_a.pdf

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the first thing you do is take out the tree magnet,and then you pin it........to your ability.

Xtremist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your gonna love the mountains, dunno where your at but jus after xmas me and the gf plus some newbie sledder friends of mine are going to go to boulder at revelstoke, your welcome to come, wont be anything mega extreme. my turbo is in a zillion pieces and im just putting it back together, i like to test new stuff at places i know like the back of my hand. message me if interested.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tree magnet out ....check!

Did you remove the "riderless/tree homing beacon" as well?

This beacon is activated when the rider falls off the sled and the beacon will point the sled towards the largest tree at the bottom of the hill. Make sure you get this one disconnected, otherwise it will be activated for sure - it never fails.

Top Bottom