guy fined in rocky $20,000

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two guys out East got 100 dollar fines and evening curfew for 1 year for 16,000 pot plants with value of 5-8 million....but riding in a creek is 25k? Wow.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two guys out East got 100 dollar fines and evening curfew for 1 year for 16,000 pot plants with value of 5-8 million....but riding in a creek is 25k? Wow.
While $25k is bad enough, it's actually as much $225k!!!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let it be quading, snowmobiling, road or dirtbiking. Those are some of the type of person that give any motorized sport a bad name in the public eye.
The fine is imo on the steep side and i don't think its the way to deter stupidity. Education and community time combined with reasonable fine to help cover the repair cost of the damange incured would be more effective imo.
But then like they say, sometimes you can't fix "stupid", thats why we have regulation's and laws to fallow. People have a very hard time regulating them selves, especially when they believe they are not being seen.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for fine being to high I think the oppositie. Shouldve been double or more. Make ppl take note of the laws and abide by them in regards to our sport. Sadly it only takes a small percentage to give sport a bad name. IMOt hard to compare pot growing to this. While yes both r illegal acts one harms environment and wildlife and other I just dealing with a baned substance.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for fine being to high I think the oppositie. Shouldve been double or more. Make ppl take note of the laws and abide by them in regards to our sport. Sadly it only takes a small percentage to give sport a bad name. IMOt hard to compare pot growing to this. While yes both r illegal acts one harms environment and wildlife and other I just dealing with a baned substance.
You smoke the green, don't ya? LOL. I wasn't comparing it to growing pot. I was comparing the fines levied to each crime and wondering why there was such a discrepancy. 16,000 pot plants and drying operation gets a 100 (yes, one hundred) dollar fine while a guy also breaking the law and caught was charged 20,000...unknown what the end result was though. I would think crimes with potential to harm fellow humans should carry fines larger than crimes that harm fish egg beds.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't touch the stuff myself, but am on the side that it's pretty harmless. One case is destroying wildlife, the other is stimulating the economy. Lol
You show me a guy sitting around getting high, snacking, and masturbating, and I'll show you someone harmless keeping the economy going!

While I haven't done it other than at a crossing, I also had no idea it was illegal. Apparently their supposed posted signs aren't quite as prevalent as they lead them to be.

And unfortunately for this guy, when the gov't decides to make an example of someone, they put you through the ringer. While he likely won't see fines as high as the max, in cases like this they usually set them high enough that you have to sell whatever you used to do it in the first place.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You smoke the green, don't ya? LOL. I wasn't comparing it to growing pot. I was comparing the fines levied to each crime and wondering why there was such a discrepancy. 16,000 pot plants and drying operation gets a 100 (yes, one hundred) dollar fine while a guy also breaking the law and caught was charged 20,000...unknown what the end result was though. I would think crimes with potential to harm fellow humans should carry fines larger than crimes that harm fish egg beds.

I do not touch the green at all..

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly not condoning ripping up creek beds in nowhere ville ...

but when roads are swamps in various places of this wonderfull country, it is the sport eh?

in golden the C/O's and who everelse are cracking down on summer vehciles in the alpine ripping up the tundra and everything ...

big fines !!! a few thousand $$$ ... and a whole buncha greif ...

fair enough eh. but the cost of helicopters to look for this stuff almost outways the original crime ... maybe ...

but horses are ok ... and can sh!t on the street too eh ...

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Better yet, grow your weed in the creek and use your ATV to retrieve it. Then you're not being reckless and destructive, your riding in the stream for a purpose. I figure $200 ($100 for the grow op, and $100 for refusing to share on demand) and 1 year house arrest - tops.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big storm last summer, mother nature rips millions of cubic metres of stream and river bank out. Oh no what about the fish? "It's ok they deal with it"

Guy flips a rock over in a stream with his big toe... Hang him in the public square.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no idea what the srd intentions were, i just assume it was a public education lesson? All it takes would be the threat of a $20,000 fine, and the message will get out there immediatel. Videos of such behaviour have since disappeared for the most part, for a laugh read the reponses on the alberta outdoorsman forum. You can bet the people who hate quadders will be taking pics of the crap that goes on, and it will be ammunition to limit the areas we can ride in. The southern alberta region is under the gun right now, and calgary north to hinton will be next.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading comprehension people... I corrected the "$20,000" amount and then another poster did, yet still somehow the fine is still $20,000 ?

Read people read

Andrew Holland Sharpe is facing six charges related to soil erosion, siltation and the destruction of an aquatic habitat. Three of the charges under the Public Lands Act carry fines of up to $25,000 and the remaining three charges under the Water Act carry even bigger fines of up to $50,000.

It CLEARLY says 3 fines up to $25,000 AND 3 fines up to $50,000..... where does the $20,000 number even come from ?

IT'S $ 225,000 from the quote provided pages ago, page 1...

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading comprehension people... I corrected the "$20,000" amount and then another poster did, yet still somehow the fine is still $20,000 ?

Read people read

It CLEARLY says 3 fines up to $25,000 AND 3 fines up to $50,000..... where does the $20,000 number even come from ?

IT'S $ 225,000 from the quote provided pages ago, page 1...

Does it really make that much difference?
Seems to bother you a bunch!

If it helps, i hear through the grapevine, that he was fined less than $2000, unconfirmed of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom