Gutting 670X airbox

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gutting 670X airbox, What do I cut, rip, hit to gut this thing.

Attachments

• DSCF2876.jpg
    DSCF2876.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF2877.jpg
    DSCF2877.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF2878.jpg
    DSCF2878.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 42

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remove the shelf, with the 5 holes in it. you will have to cut the center part out and reinsert it without the foam and tubes, i believe the airbox must have that piece in it to seal up again. did that mod to my '96 583, same chassis...along with a shorty intake, 501 rotary valve and intake tune up kit (short boots). it would run with stock 670's after the mods, once i added twin pipes it would annihilate them. it was just too fickle tho, added dial-a-jets and ufo's to clean up the bottom end, worked decent. can't beat the ol' rotary valve engines for reliability.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on them older sleds i just used pods,made it quicker to jet and also add a tin shield over pods to keep snow out better :twocents: oh might have to jet up 1-2 jets though

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on them older sleds i just used pods,made it quicker to jet and also add a tin shield over pods to keep snow out better :twocents: oh might have to jet up 1-2 jets though

Jet up with the pod,s or also gutting airbox?

tohigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would go with the pods,had them on a 98 formula 3, work well

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you do with the DPM sensor with pods?
when I tried pods, I had to jet down. they were more restrictive than the gutted airbox. I tried paper K&N style, as well as foam UNI pods with the same results. more fuel, more power....I put the airbox back on.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
what do you do with the dpm sensor with pods?

make a little bracket and put the dpm sensor right down by the pods, if you run pods... Also putting a shield over the pods is a good idea too, to keep snow out.... You can also get offset/angled foam filters, and putting a filter skin or prefilter screen over the foam filters is a good idea too. Check out royal distributor or recreation supply, etc! For the filters and screens....

Reaction score
pods for easier jetting,quicker ect.if your a tweaker like most of us
Say 'Twin Turbo' , Does your last name happen to start with a 'k' and end with a 'k' with about 15 letters in between ? ( hahaha seriously!! ) If so , I'm good friends with your brother.. Thought he mentioned somethin to me about that handle 'Twin Turbo' before.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pods will work, but they have to be treated as a separate component of the overall intake system, they cannot just be thrown on the carbs and expected to work, most times they will suck more hot air from behind the motor and potentially hurt performance more than anything else.

I built some velocity stacks for mine, then mounted the pods up in the cold air stream. Never had to jet up after doing this as I vented the carbs to atmosphere and got away from the negative pressure in the airbox. I run this set up in the former headlight location behind a screen in the deep powder and later in the season when I put my mesh hood on, they are right up in the cold air all the time. When I put the mesh hood on, I add 1 size on the main jet in a colder environment (typically in the mornings going faster up the trail to the alpine) to compensate for the added air and the EGT's are bang on, sometimes slightly rich on the plugs and wash but that is usually because it warms up more significantly during the day at that time of the season and by mid afternoon, I'm about 2 sizes to rich for the temp on the main size.

See pics.
Pic 1 is of the carb and velocity stack
Pic 2 is where it sits in my stock hood
Pic 3 is the mesh hood

Attachments

• Air intake 01.jpg
    Air intake 01.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Air intake 03.jpg
    Air intake 03.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Sled.JPG
    Sled.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 45

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Say 'Twin Turbo' , Does your last name happen to start with a 'k' and end with a 'k' with about 15 letters in between ? ( hahaha seriously!! ) If so , I'm good friends with your brother.. Thought he mentioned somethin to me about that handle 'Twin Turbo' before.

i didnt know he had any,lol so which trucker are you??you with howards?

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well just kill this thread I ended up just gutting the airbox, Where can I get some prefilter screen.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I have a 97 583 c/w jaws pipes. just wondering if all you did was gut the air box, or did you re jet, and so on. I bought it used 3yrs ago, It must be set up right runs great but getting a little under powered. I would hate to screw it up.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 583 c/w jaws pipes. just wondering if all you did was gut the air box, or did you re jet, and so on. I bought it used 3yrs ago, It must be set up right runs great but getting a little under powered. I would hate to screw it up.

Just opened up the bottom of the middle layer of the airbox, doesn't sound like I have to rejet for that.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just opened up the bottom of the middle layer of the airbox, doesn't sound like i have to rejet for that.

i totally hollowed out my air box.... Watch your spark plugs closely, in case you have to re-jet!!! I will be going with pods soon and going with shorty plate and oil injection delete, etc... Think i'll use it more for racing etc only....we'll see!

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I just gutted my air box. looking at the hac sensor in the top part of the box,there is a screw on the back. The screw appears to be sealed up with blue silicone. Is this right? How and what make that thing work.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i just gutted my air box. Looking at the hac sensor in the top part of the box,there is a screw on the back. The screw appears to be sealed up with blue silicone. Is this right? How and what make that thing work.

oh, no.... Not the blue silicone? Just kidding....... Someone had to. I believe that screw has always been sealed with silicone .... Do you have a shop manual....

Top Bottom