Rebuild 800r etec questions

Colelectric

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Been tearing my first barely functioning two stroke engine apart. It is an 800r Xm and it has 9500 original klicks on it. Getting down to the guts of 'er, a slight pressure leak off of the oil/coolant crank pump and a passing ring on the mag side.

The thing is, one cylinder is really clean below the skirting and the the other isn't, oil wise. What's normal for a electronic fuel injection 2 stroke?

20221115_131546.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Been tearing my first barely functioning two stroke engine apart. It is an 800r Xm and it has 9500 original klicks on it. Getting down to the guts of 'er, a slight pressure leak off of the oil/coolant crank pump and a passing ring on the mag side.

The thing is, one cylinder is really clean below the skirting and the the other isn't, oil wise. What's normal for a electronic fuel injection 2 stroke?

View attachment 262407

9500 wow that’s impressive. I wouldn’t look to deeply into it that thing needs a short-block with that many km. Or are you planning on rebuilding the bottom and top yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I second go with the short block. I have done a couple and they came with all new stuff. Easy and fast to do

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got one in my garage, seems too run strong at 8900 klms,, I guess there out there , good luck on your rebuild.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any running 800 E TEC with 6k KM's is either from Ontario or the pink purse swinging from the handlebars is hitting the mountain rider in the face......causing reduced throttle input.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol u must be a cat guy

No, just a sarcastic dufus! What I should said when these motors are run continuously heat soaked such as aggressive mountain they will never survive 6k KM's. The less heat soaked such as trail riding or relaxed non aggressive mtn style will see higher KM's. Riding style is a big factor, a mtn motor has approx 1/3 life of a trail motor.

Take any 800 E TEC with 6k KM's & do a crank run out, I can almost guarantee you will see 2-4 times the .0025 spec. If that does not concern you, lift the jug & do a piston to clearance. That I promise will be well beyond the max allowable spec, the reason the intake skirt breaks. Also the reason BRP kept beefing the piston from the first 800 twins, big failure point over the years.

My mostest most favourite sled would have been my heavy mod 2016 163 T3. Ski Doo has always had the best version of a series, Rev, XP, XM & G4 the last year of production....I've had them all. One of my least favorites is the 2017 165 G4, what a POS out of the box......flashed me back to the 2008 XP......another sad out of the box POS.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, just a sarcastic dufus! What I should said when these motors are run continuously heat soaked such as aggressive mountain they will never survive 6k KM's. The less heat soaked such as trail riding or relaxed non aggressive mtn style will see higher KM's. Riding style is a big factor, a mtn motor has approx 1/3 life of a trail motor.

Take any 800 E TEC with 6k KM's & do a crank run out, I can almost guarantee you will see 2-4 times the .0025 spec. If that does not concern you, lift the jug & do a piston to clearance. That I promise will be well beyond the max allowable spec, the reason the intake skirt breaks. Also the reason BRP kept beefing the piston from the first 800 twins, big failure point over the years.

My mostest most favourite sled would have been my heavy mod 2016 163 T3. Ski Doo has always had the best version of a series, Rev, XP, XM & G4 the last year of production....I've had them all. One of my least favorites is the 2017 165 G4, what a POS out of the box......flashed me back to the 2008 XP......another sad out of the box POS.
You do realize what site you are on don't you? Skidoo has never, nor will they EVER, put out a bad snowmobile.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last year of production for the etec 800 was 2017 in the freeride.

I had more problems with that one than any of the previous versions of it, that im pretty sure were identical....

Some times its just luck of the draw.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Oler1234 on here had well over 9K+ on his '14 XM motor, lots of it on boost. no issues. Dump a couple shots of oil in the each tank, or have the dealer turn up the oiler. Lack of lube due to emissions control is what kills all these modern motors.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oler1234 on here had well over 9K+ on his '14 XM motor, lots of it on boost. no issues. Dump a couple shots of oil in the each tank, or have the dealer turn up the oiler. Lack of lube due to emissions control is what kills all these modern motors.
The oil injection is electronic & 3D mapped, that means the ECU deliver's oil based on throttle position & rpm. Boosted will operate more mid throttle position, the ECU see's that & high rpm = more oil. Yes you can still modify the ECU oil delivery if you wish. Adding oil to fuel in a 800 E TEC only makes you feel good, injection is combustion chamber only, none extra of that extra sauce makes it into the crankcase or on the skirt of the piston. The only oil getting to the crank & piston below the rings is from the electronic oil pump. This is stock non boosted, secondary injectors boosted will get the extra sauce into the crankcase.....plus the additional cooling form the fuel to bearings, crank & piston's. I believe this is why boosted 800 E TEC's lived the same life as non boosted.

850's are different with secondary injector's in the TB's stock, adding oil to fuel makes it way into the crankcase when they fire.

If you have a mountain aggressively riden 800 E TEC with 6k KM's, make the measurements I suggested & I promise you will see the pin is pulled on the grenade. Boosted or not.

You won't get any argument from me & high KM's 800 E TEC's. Lightly ridden is not uncommon, constantly heat soaked it is ch!t house luck they are running.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya you can kill a 2 stroke pretty fast on a deep day driving around full pin 20mins straight even though you're probably only going a few mph in ground speed on a stock etec. lol

Top Bottom