Grizzly 660 Bogging and backfiring

tbosch

Reaction score
I had my 02 grizz out and did a 70km ride on friday, it was running great the whole time until I pinned it. After it revved up and slowed down it started to bog at about 1/4 idle and if I jammed on it it would rev, then bog, then backfire etc. It still starts and idles like a champ but will not rev over about 1/4 without bogging out. I checked the plug and it looks good, I thought maybe it could be heating up too much as well but its still bogging after cooling down. I'm thinking the fuel system has to be the issue at this point. ANy other ideas for things I should be looking for? Should I just rip the carb apart and clean it up or is there a fuel system cleaner that can be run through the machine?

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it still the old gas from last year?
id try drain the carb first, make sure the tank is clean if your going to clean the carb

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was having a similar problem with my 02. when i did the mod to delete the reverse override, it got rid of that bogging problem for me. and because the mod for that is to just ground the sensor basically, i must have had an electrical issue, that is now much better! not sure if that helps you at all, but like i said, mine used to do the same thing, and now doesn't!

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't know if the 660 has this but my old Kodiak had the carbon burn out bolt on the muffler that needed to be addressed regularily. Had to unbolt it and rev the snot out of the motor for a bit to blow out carbon build up. It ran better after that too.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it does it again, loosen your gas cap and see if it keeps bogging. You may have crap in your gas cap air vent.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my 02 grizz out and did a 70km ride on friday, it was running great the whole time until I pinned it. After it revved up and slowed down it started to bog at about 1/4 idle and if I jammed on it it would rev, then bog, then backfire etc. It still starts and idles like a champ but will not rev over about 1/4 without bogging out. I checked the plug and it looks good, I thought maybe it could be heating up too much as well but its still bogging after cooling down. I'm thinking the fuel system has to be the issue at this point. ANy other ideas for things I should be looking for? Should I just rip the carb apart and clean it up or is there a fuel system cleaner that can be run through the machine?
Sounds like vaccume....... try the gas cap and blow out the vent pipe..... if not that something might be plugging the diaphram in the carb.... needs a little cleaning.......

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know if the 660 has this but my old Kodiak had the carbon burn out bolt on the muffler that needed to be addressed regularily. Had to unbolt it and rev the snot out of the motor for a bit to blow out carbon build up. It ran better after that too.
That bolt is a drain bolt in case yu get it full of water..... not carbon......

tbosch

Reaction score
My first instinct was the gas cap as well so I unscrewed it immediately, that didn't help at all. I replaced the gas cap vent with new hose and its still doing the same thing.. I also checked the air filter and it was fine too. Im looking now at carb or electrical im thinking? I may have to try that reverse override that was mentioned.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like vaccume....... try the gas cap and blow out the vent pipe..... if not that something might be plugging the diaphram in the carb.... needs a little cleaning.......
had that happening this winter. the hole on top of the cap had water in it and froze! put it inside for the night( upside down to let the water drain) and all was good

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first instinct was the gas cap as well so I unscrewed it immediately, that didn't help at all. I replaced the gas cap vent with new hose and its still doing the same thing.. I also checked the air filter and it was fine too. Im looking now at carb or electrical im thinking? I may have to try that reverse override that was mentioned.
if you havne't done the override allready, it is a VERY easy DIY. go to grizzhopper.com, there's pics and step by step how to do it. just have to splice 1 wire and ground it!!!!!!!!!! worth a try, and at the very least, you'll now have full power reverse!!!

tbosch

Reaction score
if you havne't done the override allready, it is a VERY easy DIY. go to grizzhopper.com, there's pics and step by step how to do it. just have to splice 1 wire and ground it!!!!!!!!!! worth a try, and at the very least, you'll now have full power reverse!!!

I'm going to do the override first and foremost. Either way I wanted that done. THanks for the link, some great info there.

I would guess there is some dirt or crap in the float or jet

Im thinking I should yank the carb apart and give it a thorough cleaning, the bike sat for just about 2 years before i picked it up so it could use a going over.

probably best to retire it and go to T&T an up grade.........:d:d:d:d...lol

:p:p:p Next Year I will do that. For now the banger bike is going to have to do. :d

TGS

Reaction score
my 04 did the same thing last week.... pulled the carb and cleaned it up real good worked just fine again. while its out you may want to put a dynojet kit in it if you havent already they work pretty good

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who had the exact quad. Anytime he would hit a good sized bump, it would jam the float in the carb and would run horribly. Also if he got any water under the front end, it would short out the ignition solenoid or coil or something under there and it wouldn't run if you give it gas. I think..or hope that a good carb cleaning would fix this. Good luck man:beer:

Bryle

Reaction score
You could just run some carb cleaner through the carb first before taking the carb out and doing a good cleaning. Drain your float bowl first, it sounds like you have some old fuel in there that has gelled up, and change your fuel if you haven't already. hope this helps.

I run carb cleaner through mine once and a while, and it helps.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check the float hight while the carb is out.I'm not a hundred percent shure but I'm thinking it was 13 mm from face where the float bowl sits to bottom of float. That cured alot of bogging issues I had on mine.

tbosch

Reaction score
Well I pulled the carb this weekend and gave it a thorough cleaning. The bowl had some debris in it which was pulling in to the main jet on higher throttle and plugging it off. REplaced all the gas lines and put it back together. SHe runs good as new again. THanks for all the tips and info provided. COuldnt have done it without all the help.

Top Bottom