GPS for tree riding

HTR Designs

Reaction score
Website
www.htrdesigns.com
I'm looking for some advice on which GPS device to buy. I don't want anything fancy or complicated. I want to be able to locate my riding partner and track my route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new Garmin E-Trex's seem pretty good. I just bought about 50 of them for my field crews. So far they like them and not many have come back broken. They are only 125 bucks and they will do what you want. Well except find your riding partner that is.

In terms of tracking another GPS, I think the Garmin Rino's have that functionality but everyone needs to have them.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the garmin Rino's. Sturdy unit with built in GMRS radio. Can track your route as well as whoever else has one. Handy when you get seperated.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
From what I understand, if you're going to buy the Garmin Rhino, go south of the border, they have a more powerful attenae which allows for further distance radio communication and better pickup of your buddies signals.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have them for sleds now to. Sweet. These are the first gps that were made for off road sports. There tough!

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone have experience with the diff rino models? looking for an affordable gps option that everyone in a group could have. a decent gps, that can also be used to find someone stuck in the trees is what i'm thinkin

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a lower end rino, 520 or something like that, does more than I need it too. They aren't priced bad. Also has the option of installing different maps if desired.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone have experience with the diff rino models? looking for an affordable gps option that everyone in a group could have. a decent gps, that can also be used to find someone stuck in the trees is what i'm thinkin

Exactly why I bought the Rino. I have a 650 and love it. Really like that you can purchase & install the backcountry mapbook directly into the gramin units. Shows way more detail than a lot of the other units.

2 watt radio is max. in Canada, 5 watt radio available in the U.S.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gps's stuck out on the handle bars in winter conditions... well. The rino will track other riders if you all own a rino. I know i owned one for a few years.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you should be able to find a used rhino 120/ 130 in the neighbourhood of $150. the gps may not pick up a signal in heavy bush as easily as the newer rhino's, but the radio will work. they are primarily a line of site radio, don't work well around mountains as such. the 30 to 40 mile range is really a pile of BS. good for a laugh. they seem to work well in the 2 mile range through trees and smaller hills. the newer models claim 2 w canada and 5 watts usa, are still line of sight, range is a little better but not much. hill to hill will be the best range of any radio.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddies and i all bought garmin rino 530's. work awesome for locating other riders. we bought the units from u.s. so little better radio. we keep it on us like a beacon. has helped alot being able to communicate when you cant see if the other guy needs a hand or not. and i like that i can track and be tracked in case of mis-communication. they are a little pricy ,400ish, but we use them year round while quading also

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddies and i all bought garmin rino 530's. work awesome for locating other riders. we bought the units from u.s. so little better radio. we keep it on us like a beacon. has helped alot being able to communicate when you cant see if the other guy needs a hand or not. and i like that i can track and be tracked in case of mis-communication. they are a little pricy ,400ish, but we use them year round while quading also

one of the guys we ride with has 8 of the 530hcx'. they are 5 watt models from the U.S. and track each other.
The newer version the 655T offers the same functionality + it has a glove friendly touch screen and a built-in 5 mp digital camera. they are in the $525 range but you can use it in any other outdoor activity you do.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
530 work great 4 years and we have a bunch in the group. Its fun playing find the rider when they get seperated.

Top Bottom