GPS for tree riding

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
says 655t not available in canada yet hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
only diff is the 655t has camera and has 4.5gb instead of 1.7 gb 459 in calgary maybe group buy on these let me know.

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
says 655t not available in canada yet hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
only diff is the 655t has camera and has 4.5gb instead of 1.7 gb 459 in calgary maybe group buy on these let me know.

A few of us are heading to Vegas in November so we will get the 5 watt model and no shipping!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Rino 110 lists on Garmin's site for $199.

So the US products will have better range?

the 110 should be not available in a new unit, they also are slow to aquire signal, but are a good base model.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to use one of these to communicate with other devices like a cell phone? Be nice to be able to text the wife to say Im ok if I was going to be late. Or to be able to go the other way with it.

My wife is due on December 30th. I really want to be able to sled between Christmas and new years though. Our riding area is half an hour away, and I can usually get to the truck in around half an hour from any of the areas we ride at. So if she could message me somehow while I am riding if she goes into labor......I would be able to make it back to town in plenty of time. Any idea how I can do this? Or would i have to get a sat phone?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is there any way to use one of these to communicate with other devices like a cell phone? Be nice to be able to text the wife to say Im ok if I was going to be late. Or to be able to go the other way with it.

My wife is due on December 30th. I really want to be able to sled between Christmas and new years though. Our riding area is half an hour away, and I can usually get to the truck in around half an hour from any of the areas we ride at. So if she could message me somehow while I am riding if she goes into labor......I would be able to make it back to town in plenty of time. Any idea how I can do this? Or would i have to get a sat phone?

Try to search info on Pieps Iridium......that baby will work for you!

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has been testing out an Iphone app called "GIS Kit"

He said it works good. No cell service required and he said the GPS maintained coverage...this is in the mountains of northern BC. As it was explained to me you can upload an image for example from google earth and then it tracks you on the image i believe or other topo and GIS maps of various file types. Apparently the Iphone 4s can connect to the russian GLONASS system which apparently has much better reception and accuracy for northern canada.

Haven't tested myself yet but really how cool is that and for $100. Could be a game changer if it works as good as im told. I would think the GPS companies would be worried about this.

He also showed me this case which gives you additional battery, protection and high sensivity GPS antenna
MagellanGPS - ToughCase for iPhone and iPod touch

It almost sounds too good to be true but he's not the type to BS and i know where he was using it and there's no cell service there and using it under tree canopy too.

I have a Garmin 60csx...works really good but won't do what the iphone one will plus i usually carry my phone anyway for a camera everywhere so its one less piece of junk to pack around.

Wonder if anyone else has tried it. App and case would be $200. Would be good to hear if anyone else has tried or heard much about this.

Unfortunately doesn't sound like it provides for phone communication via satellite just the gps.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Deaner, check out the link to PIEPS I posted. There's a video on it. You can send texts and emails from it. You can even set it up so that people with internet connection can track you movement on Google Earth. It's pretty sweet. Lowest price I found on them was $800 though.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin Rihno 530's and I use the SPOT connect. The Connect sends texts through smart phone to who ever you have set as your contacts works great no problems yet.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds good! but they say iphones screw up beacon signals ??? sooo not so good ...

Good point...didn't consider that in my post. I don't carry GPS for sledding anyway but use it for other things. All the electronic gizmos probably have some risk of interference so something to think about with all that chit for sure.

Top Bottom