Got my BC OFF ROAD PLATE !!! $48 well spent (NOT)

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right threat but just had some questions RE registration/etc for a RZR in BC.

I bought a USED RZR in the fall of 2014. It was a private sale off of KIJIJI.

Went into an insurance place the other day (Baron Insurance, Vernon), and they said because there was no bill of sale I have to go to a local Public Notary and fill out a form. Basically I have to 'convince/tell' her what I pad for it and she fills out form and Notaries, it.

I paid X dollars for RZR. Lets just say it was $12,500.00. The insurance broker states that I will have to pay $1500.00 in TAXES!!!!

QUESTION - is there ANY way around this?

Option A) don't plate, get liability, pay for fines if ticketed

Option B) lube up, bend over, and pay tax, plate fee, and liability. Maybe 'bend' the truth at the Notary's office?

Option C) if this is even an option, I have in-laws in Red Deer is there anyway to save money and reg in their name and plate with red plates?

I don't mind paying the plate fee and the liability, but to fork out $1500 would kinda suck.

thanks

Simon

Sorry off topic but...
No bill of sale? I haven't purchased many motorized vehicles off of private sellers but have always asked for, or given a bill of sale with any vehicle. If it was me I would not purchase without one. Were you not nervous buying such a big ticket item without it?!

sicamoose

Reaction score
I do have a copy of the bank draft that i used to pay the guy. not too concerned as a 'friend of a friend'....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry off topic but...
No bill of sale? I haven't purchased many motorized vehicles off of private sellers but have always asked for, or given a bill of sale with any vehicle. If it was me I would not purchase without one. Were you not nervous buying such a big ticket item without it?!
Private bill of sale isn't worth the paper it's written on. The only reassurance you get is from doing your own VIN check for liens or theft records.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right threat but just had some questions RE registration/etc for a RZR in BC.

Went into an insurance place the other day (Baron Insurance, Vernon), and they said because there was no bill of sale I have to go to a local Public Notary and fill out a form. Basically I have to 'convince/tell' her what I pad for it and she fills out form and Notaries, it.

I paid X dollars for RZR. Lets just say it was $12,500.00. The insurance broker states that I will have to pay $1500.00 in TAXES!!!!

Option B) lube up, bend over, and pay tax, plate fee, and liability. Maybe 'bend' the truth at the Notary's office?

Option C) if this is even an option, I have in-laws in Red Deer is there anyway to save money and reg in their name and plate with red plates?

I don't mind paying the plate fee and the liability, but to fork out $1500 would kinda suck.

thanks

Simon

Those are pretty much your options. Any way you look at it.....bend over! ;)

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, the whole system forces honest guys to be crooks. I have no problem at all paying the plate and registration fee. There is no way I am paying 12% on my sxs to register it though. Ill take my chances.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thanks

Simon
Register and insure in Alberta. That collecting sales tax on used private sales is criminal. Never used to be that way.

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno bout bc but in sask you dont have to pay tax on a sale between family members just throwing that out there

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno bout bc but in sask you dont have to pay tax on a sale between family members just throwing that out there

From what I understand they are clamping down on that and there is no exemption. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Before you pay any taxes do your homework! There is no way you have to pay the GST again on a new sled. If you bought it in Timbuck Two and paid GST that is it. The 5% is finished. I will not pay GST twice on my sled. They can try to do whatever they want but if they get forceful of ignorant, the sled will disappear. If you did buy the sled in Timbuck Two and brought it into BC to be registered you are required to pay the PST. You should pay the PST on the value of the said sled at time of registration. Not on the new sled. Put lots of miles on it, a few scratches here and there, and maybe a crooked bumper or two and get a written appraisal from a friendly dealer. Then pay the PST. After a year of riding, generally speaking my sled's value drops well below $10,000 from $16,000 just on the odometer reading and abuse.

Also, don't forget about the gifting scenario. You can gift a sled to your spouse or a family member and they do not have to pay the taxes. This may have to be done prior to June 1st, 2015.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you pay any taxes do your homework! There is no way you have to pay the GST again on a new sled. If you bought it in Timbuck Two and paid GST that is it. The 5% is finished. I will not pay GST twice on my sled. They can try to do whatever they want but if they get forceful of ignorant, the sled will disappear. If you did buy the sled in Timbuck Two and brought it into BC to be registered you are required to pay the PST. You should pay the PST on the value of the said sled at time of registration. Not on the new sled. Put lots of miles on it, a few scratches here and there, and maybe a crooked bumper or two and get a written appraisal from a friendly dealer. Then pay the PST. After a year of riding, generally speaking my sled's value drops well below $10,000 from $16,000 just on the odometer reading and abuse.

Also, don't forget about the gifting scenario. You can gift a sled to your spouse or a family member and they do not have to pay the taxes. This may have to be done prior to June 1st, 2015.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. After the HST was removed, they put a clause into that all used vehicles are required to pay PST and GST, just like the old HST.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are wrong. After the HST was removed, they put a clause into that all used vehicles are required to pay PST and GST, just like the old HST.

Well I have been wrong before. But nobody is going to collect GST twice on my machine. Just because I register it, I can't see legally where I have to pay the GST the second time. I will pay whatever PST the crooks want but the GST has already been paid. End of story. It will be a sad day if some ICBC employee tells me that I have to pay the GST again. I will rattle some chains somewhere.

driller

Reaction score
no you do not have to pay the gst twice in bc as long as you have the bill of sale showing you paid gst . you only have to pay the pst when registering it
between family members you have to fill out a form

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no you do not have to pay the gst twice in bc as long as you have the bill of sale showing you paid gst . you only have to pay the pst when registering it
between family members you have to fill out a form
But what happens when u buy a used one in b.c, that has had g.s t paid when new

G.s.t should be paid one time, unless u buy it at a dealer, hence a service

But privately, bought used then what???

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every new or used vehicle registered in BC pays 12% tax. When it is new you pay 12% and then every time it is resold the new owner pays 12%...over and over and over again until said vehicle is dead and crushed in the grinder. If you have already paid 5% GST in another province, you get credit for the amount paid and then you pay an additional 7% PST (social service tax)

When the thieves in Victoria got rid of the HST they kept the USED vehicle tax at 12% instead of reverting to the old 7% tax. I still cannot believe the media did not jump all over this...never heard a peep about it until I went to register a used truck a few Years ago and the tax was 12% instead of 7%...I blew a gasket at the local ICBC office...the service lady was not happy with me:tazz:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every new or used vehicle registered in BC pays 12% tax. When it is new you pay 12% and then every time it is resold the new owner pays 12%...over and over and over again until said vehicle is dead and crushed in the grinder. If you have already paid 5% GST in another province, you get credit for the amount paid and then you pay an additional 7% PST (social service tax)

When the thieves in Victoria got rid of the HST they kept the USED vehicle tax at 12% instead of reverting to the old 7% tax. I still cannot believe the media did not jump all over this...never heard a peep about it until I went to register a used truck a few Years ago and the tax was 12% instead of 7%...I blew a gasket at the local ICBC office...the service lady was not happy with me:tazz:
Friggin thieves

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your bang on. Id like to say we are two peas in a pod but I'm thinking most of us are in this pod! I loose it every time I have to deal with ICBC or any crown corporation. Nothing but smoke and mirrors. Why don't they just say we're to fkn lazy to get a job so we want your money to piss up a rope so we can brag and say look at the great job were doing for the province. Let's have a party...bla bla bla. I'm sure there know we're onto them, this is why they want are guns and for us to register our get a way vehicles. It's all about the tax grab!

sicamoose

Reaction score
thx for your input I will give your comments some consideration....does anyone know what the fines are (going to be) if caught without proper plates?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thx for your input I will give your comments some consideration....does anyone know what the fines are (going to be) if caught without proper plates?
Probably $600 for unregistered uninsured vehicle and a night in the clink until you can pay the government's personal tax collectors ICBC.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aren't you bitter this morning.............:D
Hey I'm not the one threatening to raise Cain with ICBC I will just quietly disobey. They don't pay much attention to us out in the sticks and I ride from home.

Top Bottom