Got my BC OFF ROAD PLATE !!! $48 well spent (NOT)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey I'm not the one threatening to raise Cain with ICBC I will just quietly disobey. They don't pay much attention to us out in the sticks and I ride from home.

I will be following in your footsteps. I'm thinking compliance will be about the same or less as it was with the yellow decal.

I might be wrong but enforcement will be very limited and probably only with the highly populated riding areas. You are right, if you can ride from the yard where are they going to find you? They will only be in the staging areas, and IMHO, that will be very sporadic.

Why does the BC government seem to do so many thing ass-backwards?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thx for your input I will give your comments some consideration....does anyone know what the fines are (going to be) if caught without proper plates?
I was stopped by a c/o last fall and he told me he could impound the side by side and up to $250 in fines. Proof of ownership and liability was needed he said....go register I was told...still need to do this.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Failure to register will be $598 and you must carry a minimum of $2,000,000 liability, don`t know what fine is for that one. Fines will be attached to to your license.

kuma

Reaction score
atvbc pushed for this licencing. I decided to no longer be a member of atvbc.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
atvbc pushed for this licencing. I decided to no longer be a member of atvbc.

I don't know that they "pushed" for it.....but yes, they supported it, as did the BCSF. The "push" started with the farmers and the tree huggers. Believe it or not, some of the strongest opposition actually came from ICBC. As a crown corporation they wanted nothing to do with it, but they're stuck with managing it now.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the mandatory plate but not the extra liability for the dirt bikes. Kind of hoping if I ever get stopped they'll be happy it's plated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm slowly getting the "facts". The best source, suddenly and suprisingly, is ICBC. Off-road vehicles

Registration: Mandatory everywhere EXCEPT on private land. There is a slight refund on the snowmobile registration if you had the old registration.
Liability insurance - $2,000,000: Only if you are on or crossing highways, you need basic insurance from ICBC themselves.
Liability insurance - $200,000: All "maintained" forest service roads (unplowed road in the winter does not count) it is mandatory. Out on crown land, it is merely recommended. This does not need to come from ICBC, as third party insurers (Capri, etc) will suffice.
Permits for highway travel: From the RCMP, you can get a permit to run down roads. They will not give this out willy-nilly however, it's intended for farmers and working class machines and is free of charge (I am waiting to talk to an RCMP officer directly on that, as it was still third party to me.) This is not required for crossing highways at designated crossings, or while loading/unloading sleds, per the link above.

What I'm missing is information on roads that are neither highways, nor forest service roads, or what is defined as what. Is it black and white: "pavement = highway" and "gravel road = forest service road"? Or do municipalities and regional districts make up their own rules? (ie, do I need 2 million, 200 thousand or no insurance to go down the street and gas up my machine? Or is it just plain illegal?)

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should add, one more thing I'm not clear on:

I have "heard" that getting third party liability, will mean the $2mill ICBC insurance will be cheaper - making it cheaper in fact to have both than to have just the icbc insurance alone. Whether just the former statement, or both are true, I do not know. My ICBC office was completely oblivious to this (per their poor training on the whole thing, I'm not surprised - but this could very well be rumour.)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm slowly getting the "facts". The best source, suddenly and suprisingly, is ICBC. Off-road vehicles

Registration: Mandatory everywhere EXCEPT on private land. There is a slight refund on the snowmobile registration if you had the old registration.
Liability insurance - $2,000,000: Only if you are on or crossing highways, you need basic insurance from ICBC themselves.
Liability insurance - $200,000: All "maintained" forest service roads (unplowed road in the winter does not count) it is mandatory. Out on crown land, it is merely recommended. This does not need to come from ICBC, as third party insurers (Capri, etc) will suffice.
Permits for highway travel: From the RCMP, you can get a permit to run down roads. They will not give this out willy-nilly however, it's intended for farmers and working class machines and is free of charge (I am waiting to talk to an RCMP officer directly on that, as it was still third party to me.) This is not required for crossing highways at designated crossings, or while loading/unloading sleds, per the link above.

What I'm missing is information on roads that are neither highways, nor forest service roads, or what is defined as what. Is it black and white: "pavement = highway" and "gravel road = forest service road"? Or do municipalities and regional districts make up their own rules? (ie, do I need 2 million, 200 thousand or no insurance to go down the street and gas up my machine? Or is it just plain illegal?)
A forest service road, or as they are now called, resource roads, are specifically market that the start of the road. Any road not marked as an FSR or RR road is a public road and it is illegal to travel down these roads with off road vehicles. As for crossing roads, it must be done at a designated crossing point, ie a stop sign or a controlled intersection.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I'm confused as all get out now

Ok for a sxs or dirt bike to go up a fsr what does he need

And for a sled in the winter what does a guy need??

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I'm confused as all get out now

Ok for a sxs or dirt bike to go up a fsr what does he need

And for a sled in the winter what does a guy need??
No idea for sleds, but for quads or sxs you need ICBC registration (plates) and a seperate $200,000 liability insurance specifically for the resrouce roads. If you want highway crossing you need the plates as well as $2,000,000 liability insurance that has to be specifically purchased from ICBC. For the full meal deal you need the Registration and 2 specific individual liability insurances.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wtf kind of corrupt crap is that, 2 different insurances

I could see plpd and fire-theft like Alberta , but I'm sure fire theft is not included in the full meal deal

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I could see plpd and fire-theft like Alberta , but I'm sure fire theft is not included in the full meal deal
Nope, any other insurances are at your discretion. The way it was explained to me is the RR liability is for environmental liability, such as damage to roads, erosion problems, environmental damage. The crossing liability is a motor vehicle liability insurance in case of an incident with another motorized vehicle.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This spring I did the regi thing on my new SxS, I put on both liability insurances and I also put on theft and fire with Capri insuarnce, in the end it was a tad over $700.00 with $25,000 theft and fire. If I remember correctly the theft and fire was around $500 on its own.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow

2 million plpd, comp ( liability ) and fire and theft on 15000.00 skidoo in Alberta, 308 a year with coop

Guess I'm not going to get fire and theft, and buy a big azz gun with the savings, and shoot on sight in the middle of the night

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow!! The new BC regs are confusing as hell. Just to add to the confusion, should check your local bi-laws that may supersede the Provincial Regs in regards to how, when and where.
It may make a huge difference like it does in the Alberta Municipal Districts.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No body ever asked me for my license when i registered sleds. Insured in bc and registered in Alberta.

Top Bottom