Gas or diesel ?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been looking to replace my "pretty truck". 4door 5 1/2' box great for long trips however the box size basically is useless.
Just found a 09 chev 6 litre gas, it is a 3500 reg cab 8' box zactly the configuration I require. Just wondering if the extra expense of diesel is nessesary for the most part the truck will see light use however there will be times it'll have a camper and quad trailer. Anybody have a similar truck and is it worth the extra expense to run diesel?
or have you found the 6 litre gas more than adequate.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big of camper ?

Where do ya go with it ?

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a F-350 dually with the new 6.2 gas engine, and so far I like it, cheaper oil changes, it can carry more weight than a diesel, and has decent power...yes a diesel has more power but I run empty alot. Also a nice feature was the hot air from the heater at an idle in -30 !!! Fuel milage when loaded isn't the best 24L/100kms, driving the speed limit.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get 16L/100km empty(better on a long trip) and 20L/100km loaded and towing with both my Cummins Dodge 3500s. One is a 2006 5.9 6spd and the other is a 2012 6.7 auto. That's $5/hr minimum operating savings on fuel alone if you get 24L/100km out of a gas pot. My 15w40 oil changes at Edwards GM quik lube in Rocky are always around $70 for a basic. I will gladly show anyone how good they tow side by side a gas job. Diesel is $.10/L cheaper now, finally. I guess I'm a vote for diesel! Good luck!

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How big of camper ?

Where do ya go with it ?

Ill sometimes go around Revelstoke area but primarily AB, trailer with quads weighs around 1600lbs camper is ??? TBA but nuthin fancy just a basic one. I was an RV tech at Hunters and 8' is really the only option then your not at the mercy of the campers electrictronics( lights ect as a rule they will cause grief)

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a gas guy. The way I look at it is if you want to be the first one up the hill ALL THE TIME get a Diesel. You cant not deny the torque of a diesel. If you could care less keep the money in your pocket and go gas. You save in the price of the truck, fuel and gas price are so close now that there is no savings going with Diesel Heck sometimes diesel is more. Will you get better mileage, maybe but you will throw that savings away with 12 liter oil changes oil filters and fuel filters. My 2000 got 317.000 kms before I traded it in, had no issues (and I was not nice to that truck). These Gas jobs are lasting longer than they ever have before. My last truck was a 2010 6l 2500 GMC. I liked the 6L A LOT! A little hard on gas. Was averaging 16-17L/100 city/Highway driving. Got 13L/100 on a Kelowna trip loaded with about 800LBS worth of tools. It's all in the right foot..... What is the size of the engine you have now?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've a 5.4 and the chev has a 6 litre, heard they were good. Wife will be using it primarily just around town and when my 97 dodge(400k, it's on borrowed time) craters the chev if I get it will become a work truck. It is the maintenance and repairs that concerns me when it comes to diesel. Just more wondering how the truck will fare with a load in the mountains will it be enough power.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just did a test at our ford and chev dealership we took a 2013 duramax a 2013 powerstroke and a 2013 ecoboost hooked up a 12000 lbs trailer and started the tow from the bottom of a hill and up to the top. The 2013 ecoboost beat both the diesels up the hill by more than 2 seconds. The dmax was the fastest of the diesels but still impressive to see a halfton v6 twin turbo spank a 2500 diesel in a towing test. I myself drive diesel but will probably be going to an ecoboost or gas job of some sort next year. maintenance on diesels are pricey and getting rid of this new emmissions crap is even more $$$ but the only way to make the truck worth it. These new gas motors pack some good power behind them and are more than adequate to do what you need for towing.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have three trailers. A flat deck Sled trailer, 22 foot fifth wheel trailer and an enclosed service trailer that weights 8000 lbs. The 6L is MORE than adequate. It will keep the speed limit on any hill I have encountered, the gas gauge is the only down fall. It will drink the gas up pretty quick if your heavy footed. Here is an example. I could make Airdrie to Kelowna easily on a tank no trailer..(have 120Kms left says the fuel computer) or if I'm doing 120/130 forget it, it wont make it on a tank (I'm never empty bed load wise, always at least 800lbs in it). IMO here is what you need to consider. How often are you towing? Flat? In the hills? If you are towing 3 times a week in the hills it a no brainer, go diesel. I have considered Diesel but I also worry about diesel maintenance (plus for the amount I tow and what I tow it really isn't required), injectors, fuel pump and turbos aren't cheap. I looked at buying a new Diesel this year (I replace my trucks every three years for write off reasons) But with a $10,000 higher sticker price I can take that $10,000 and it pays my gas, a tank a week for three years........ It's purely a money thing for me. I actually went the other way this time when I bought my 2013. I went back to the 5.4 and to a 1/'2 ton. Were on a bit of a budget, have two car payments (bought the wife a new car after she totaled hers), business loan and the house. Business loan is done December and house is done in three years. Maybe then I'll try a diesel.......

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
We just did a test at our ford and chev dealership we took a 2013 duramax a 2013 powerstroke and a 2013 ecoboost hooked up a 12000 lbs trailer and started the tow from the bottom of a hill and up to the top. The 2013 ecoboost beat both the diesels up the hill by more than 2 seconds. The dmax was the fastest of the diesels but still impressive to see a halfton v6 twin turbo spank a 2500 diesel in a towing test. I myself drive diesel but will probably be going to an ecoboost or gas job of some sort next year. maintenance on diesels are pricey and getting rid of this new emmissions crap is even more $$$ but the only way to make the truck worth it. These new gas motors pack some good power behind them and are more than adequate to do what you need for towing.

How does a Eco boost pull better than a diesel with 800 ft lb of torque ? Not arguing with ya but that is crazy. Curious as to the numbers that a ecoboost puts out for torque

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya dunno about the ecoboost.

Drove one and it didn't go like I thought it would. Unloaded to boot.

Plus a 8 foot camper in a f150 is , well wrong.

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll get my mechanic to go through er today or tomorrow.
Fuel is not that big an issue as its a write off anyway. Itwill spend the majority of its life shopping and getting groceries with several trips in between. But that's the part I was concerned about not to mention I've heard somewhere (only heard) that you have to have a 3/4 ton or better to be pulling a camper and trailer in BC.....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How do you think the Eco Boost would do against and Older Duramax? 2006ish? They seem alot faster than the newer ones.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does a Eco boost pull better than a diesel with 800 ft lb of torque ? Not arguing with ya but that is crazy. Curious as to the numbers that a ecoboost puts out for torque

Full throttle with a heavy load for a long time, the only thing that matters is HP.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been looking to replace my "pretty truck". 4door 5 1/2' box great for long trips however the box size basically is useless.
Just found a 09 chev 6 litre gas, it is a 3500 reg cab 8' box zactly the configuration I require. Just wondering if the extra expense of diesel is nessesary for the most part the truck will see light use however there will be times it'll have a camper and quad trailer. Anybody have a similar truck and is it worth the extra expense to run diesel?
or have you found the 6 litre gas more than adequate.

Buddy has the 6L in a 2500 and tows a 11000lb trailer with a deck and one quad no problem. The 3500 on air bags with a camper and a quad trailer should be fine imo.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is pretty crazy forsure I was pretty shocked by it to! It's The HP numbers offered from the ecoboost and being more than 2000+lbs lighter than the diesel plus the added turbos keep it's hp and tq in the elevation changes so its not loosing near as much power than a N/A truck.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to sure honestly that LML tows really really hard and so does the new 6.7 Pstroke. We did end up beating the Eco Boost but it took a chipped up dmax and a chipped up Pstroke (mine) to do it. I think if the 06 was stock against an eco the eco would beat it throw an intake and exhaust at the lbz and the lbz would take it.

Top Bottom