Gas or diesel ?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have had two 6l gas in the last 12 years both of them were 2500HD. That motor is bullet proof. Yes, it likes a little drink now and again. My present truck had an 8' box and I switched it out for a custom aluminum deck. The law doesn't state you don't need a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton for anything. It is what is on the door post that counts. The thread about the F150 is just crazy with payload information and as someone said, " some poor ol' DOT guy is going to have his scales re-calibrated when he has to check one with two sleds, gear, and two guys.

My mileage on a trip to and from Whistler last winter (including driving around the town, to the staging areas, etc..), with 2 163" sleds full of fuel, two people, and all our gear for a week was 22l/100. Up and down the passes, no problem with the button shifter gaining speed or reducing speed. A similar trip to Revy/Sicamous for 5 days was 18l/100 on the lie-o-meter.

I am buying a new truck this summer and I am in a dilemma; another 6l or the new 6.2l eco whatever it is called.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think next year will be the year for many different motor options in the trucks. I personnally have put my request in for ecoboost Harley edition truck or to bring back the Harley superduty.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has the 6L in a 2500 and tows a 11000lb trailer with a deck and one quad no problem. The 3500 on air bags with a camper and a quad trailer should be fine imo.

I disagree. Anyone that says their 6L gasser tows 10 000+ lbs pounds fine either only tows downhill or has never owned a diesel.
First off the GVW isn't there to do it legally. I have an '09 2500 HD CCSB 6L gasser for a company truck. GVW is only 9200lbs. The 3500 SRW wouldn't even do it as the atv would put it overweight. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372206119.816800.jpg
Secondly, the 6L is a turd IMO as soon as you start towing heavy unless the engine is screaming. My toyhauler fully loaded up to the teets with 2 atv's or a Razr is 9300lbs. It was all this truck could do to maintain 100km/h with no wind and running in 4th gear. Nevermind the 6.7mpg! My '07 2500HD CCSB Dmax pulling the same load gets 12 - 15mpg at 110.

Anyone towing over 6000lbs on the regular I wouldn't recommend even looking at a gasser. It's just not the way to go IMO. It may do it, but your pushing it to the max all the time and it won't last.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It appears so far that that option is only available in the 1500's. I will keep my eyes open and see what materializes. I am looking for a 3500HD and nothing is out on the 2014's yet.
Use the live chat at the bottom of the page and they will answer any questions you have. I've used it and they were awesome. The standard engine will be the 6.2, doesn't look like the 6.0 will even be available anymore and the 6.2 has AFM Active fuel management. You could not get that in the 6.0 before. I cant see them having AFM in a half ton and not an HD. But who knows, I agree very little info on the 2014HD for some reason. They should be arriving in late October (I asked before with the live chat). The All-New 2014 GMC Sierra | Full-Size Pickup Truck | GMC Canada

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Use the live chat at the bottom of the page and they will answer any questions you have. I've used it and they were awesome. The standard engine will be the 6.2, doesn't look like the 6.0 will even be available anymore and the 6.2 has AFM Active fuel management. You could not get that in the 6.0 before. I cant see them having AFM in a half ton and not an HD. But who knows, I agree very little info on the 2014HD for some reason. They should be arriving in late October (I asked before with the live chat). The All-New 2014 GMC Sierra | Full-Size Pickup Truck | GMC Canada

I've been on the live chat and all they say is "sorry, information isn't available yet". Initially, they didn't even know the available colors. They were very polite and all that stuff, just didn't have the information. I wanted to build a 3500HD and she said, I could build a 1500 and it will be awhile to get the program out to build the other trucks.

I will have patience and the process will evolve. I just get a little bored and would like to build a truck.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

dealership in drumheller has about 5 new 2014 halftons, a couple silverados and a few sierras. front ends look weird but i sorta like the dashes

and the 2014 HD's will be the same as the 2013s

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dealership in drumheller has about 5 new 2014 halftons, a couple silverados and a few sierras. front ends look weird but i sorta like the dashes

Your are guessing or know this on the HD's.
They tell me that the 2014 will be the new body style but later delivery.
Interior and sheet metal is the only thing changing on the HD as the frames and drive terrain stay the same other than the 6.0 L delete being replaced with a new version of the 6.2

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I just had a Live Chat on GM Canada, and there was no indication this was the case. They just said there is no information on the 2014HD's at this time. I also asked about the availability of the 6.2l EcoTech being available later in the fall and she said, they were offering them with the 2014 1500's so they are in production and will be available.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be no change on the HD's for 2014, that's why I bought my first ever Ford! Make the change Doug you will not regret it, I sure don't.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be no change on the HD's for 2014, that's why I bought my first ever Ford! Make the change Doug you will not regret it, I sure don't.

Same reason my boss bought a dodge. No change in the Chevy hd interiors since 2007. His exact words to the salesman where " why would I by a brand new truck that looks the same as my 7 year old truck" Chevy needs to pick up the pace as they are getting wayyyy behind.
Jsyk his 07 has the Denali package so it different than most 07 interiors

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a old 6l bullet proof but drank fuel about as fast as you put it in. i was looking for a truck same thing crew cab with a PROPER short box and would not own a 6l unless it had the 6 speed but even then i went for the diesel. 24mpg empty how can ya beat that :p.
and maintenace is more as i change all my filters (fuel, air tranny, oil and oil filter) every 6 months (15000kms).

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Hey Sean, how's your summer going? That's what I told the salesman! I just might have to buy a Ford.

I priced out a '13 Lariat chassis model and it was friggin' expensive! Even this late in the season.........I still sort of don't really believe GM would doo this as it seems to me it is just a dumb move. Who in there right mind would doo this. Maybe that is the reason behind one of the CEO's quitting this year after 28 years up in the head office!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what gas motor from Ford is the best one? Hauling 2 sleds, pulling big fallen trees, and a long term goal of hauling 2 sleds and a small holiday trailer (24-26' long).

I would assume your going 250 or bigger so the Eco is out. Really impressed with it so far though pulls the trailer like sweet fa 33' bumper pull with 2 slides.
The 6.2 would be my choice. Comparable numbers to the Eco except in mileage dept. and supposed to be bullet proof. Would be way stronger than the 5.0. Not sure why with the ecoboosts numbers they don't put it in a 250. Would be cool to get that extra little rear axle payload over the 150 with tow package.
Would be totally awesome if they turboed the 6.2. :) woohoo that would be a fun unit to drive.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I would assume your going 250 or bigger so the Eco is out. Really impressed with it so far though pulls the trailer like sweet fa 33' bumper pull with 2 slides.
The 6.2 would be my choice. Comparable numbers to the Eco except in mileage dept. and supposed to be bullet proof. Would be way stronger than the 5.0. Not sure why with the ecoboosts numbers they don't put it in a 250. Would be cool to get that extra little rear axle payload over the 150 with tow package.
Would be totally awesome if they turboed the 6.2. :) woohoo that would be a fun unit to drive.

Yes, it will be a 350. Will the 6.2 get in the high teens as far as liters/100km go?

Being a GM guy for quite a few years, I haven't got a clue about the Found on road Dead animal.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know 3 guys who have left Dodge and gone to the new 6.7 diesel Fords and love them. They are really impressed with the power and the new interiors.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I know 3 guys who have left Dodge and gone to the new 6.7 diesel Fords and love them. They are really impressed with the power and the new interiors.

I don't really have the need for the expensive diesel Ken. Even when I get my trailer, I will only pull it few times a year. At least that is the plan to-date!

Top Bottom