Best Diesel regardless of make or year…

Dryden29

Reaction score
If any of you guys can hold out I'll have a 2005 5.9, 202,000 kms, crew cab short box with a brand new long block block installed, nadp tranny, MINT body for sale in the nearish future. (As soon as we get the motor in) . It's that dark blue color
Have any thoughts on a price you would be asking for the 05'?? What's the warranty on the new long block??

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried a top kick 4x4 crew cab for personal use….pulling a trailer/plus toys,?obviously have room to park it.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have any thoughts on a price you would be asking for the 05'?? What's the warranty on the new long block??
High 20s for sure with 0 warranty. Maybe 6 months.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, not too many people look for “Handling” when towing either.
Big rigs are awesome and make leftys cry.

I’ve been looking hard and going to a Volvo singled mid.
Guy in Edmonton just had one listed with a smart car. He must have sold it. Here’s a difference one though.

5th wheel rv hauler semi truck - located in pei- trades on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhom...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

They say it will out manoeuvre a dually. I think it’s true as the Volvo front wheels turn pretty much 90. I chatted with the fella in Edmonton and he even went a step further and changed his trailer to a gooseneck which brought trailer even closer to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Ram 2500 gas pot 4x4...
Got lucky on a complete front end build $1600,,, steering box and pitman arm good..

Gone threw a few u-joints over the years
1 front hub/ bearing
Front windows
Lots of oil changes
Tranny and t-case oil's
Belts,,, pullies,,, brakes,,,
Millions of gallons of gas
Ruffly $16.000 of parts/ labour over 18 years 380.000 kms
Been all across America coast to coast and back and forth across Canada...

Mopar wiring sucks

Dam thing still running, add parts when needed keep driving...

Spray diesel fuel/ gear oil mix threw out the truck 2 X's a year ,,, it sure slows down the rust,,, weed sprayer,,, let'er buck when it comes too under chassis Spraying...

2 1/2 to 3 gallons per application...

Slow down the rust and drive the balls off it...

The old gas pot does ok with 6000 + lb trailer...
8700 lbs is asking a bit too much...
It's under load with 10 too 12.000 lb trailer,,, the trick is take it easy,,, keep the rpms rollling...

Pretty much have too run the hills...

If i had to tow loads in the 10.000 lbs on up +++

Id go diesel

We pull 22 too 38.000 lbs with our old diesel ram or our 2 Chevy 1 tons like nothing
When we're packing heavy we're usually clipping along pretty good in the mountains...

Normally we can brake the crest on most climbs at 100 ++ kpr

Diesels just pull...

Anyways,,, my gas pot works ok for 2/3's of our farm and construction operations,,, I don't need diesel 80 too 90% of the time...

4 tires and a truck box and get at it...
If its under powered then your not pushing hard enough of the gas pedal...

Remember:::

Gas pots love being reved up ,,, things don't start moving until 3000 to 3600 ish ++ rpms
Then get into the 2000 rpm sifting mode...
Get into the 2700 to 3000 rpm low elevation pulls...

Higher rpm means that oil pressure is high,,, transmission is in go mode,,, clutch packs and torque converter is doing its thing...

All trucks run better at 2/3 too floor boards...

There's time to save fuel and theres time to get things moving,,, each of us know when its time to turn things on...

Cheers all

Vote 27 for old Dodge

Jt

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little update.... Still haven't found a truck, Got T-boned in my 06 2500 hd ...
Kinda put the search on the back burner for a bit....
Been an interesting process,, Thought the truck would be a write-off ...$7400 damage and 395,000 km's ,, Its sounding like they'll fix the truck, ,,, I'm good with that, maybe add $2-3000 and get entire body done, Truck already has rebuilt tranny and new transfer case so pretty reliable with the exception of the high engine mileage...
As a result I've been looking at new "crate engines",,,, $ 6-8k and +- 400hp,,, The tired 6L in the truck outta the box was 325hp, id guess +- 270 given the mileage...
Long and short a new-ish truck for $10-12k ... The 06 owes me nothing ,,, only paid $7500 for it @138000k ....
Still ...If the right "wish list" duramax shows up I'll jump, and maybe sell my 02 2500hd,,, it's got 195,000 km's, body pretty solid not the usual gm rusting should get a descent $ for it...
One odd thing I found between the almost identical 02 & 06 2500hd's , the 06 seems to turn sharper..
Either that or this perception is birth certificate related...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little update.... Still haven't found a truck, Got T-boned in my 06 2500 hd ...
Kinda put the search on the back burner for a bit....
Been an interesting process,, Thought the truck would be a write-off ...$7400 damage and 395,000 km's ,, Its sounding like they'll fix the truck, ,,, I'm good with that, maybe add $2-3000 and get entire body done, Truck already has rebuilt tranny and new transfer case so pretty reliable with the exception of the high engine mileage...
As a result I've been looking at new "crate engines",,,, $ 6-8k and +- 400hp,,, The tired 6L in the truck outta the box was 325hp, id guess +- 270 given the mileage...
Long and short a new-ish truck for $10-12k ... The 06 owes me nothing ,,, only paid $7500 for it @138000k ....
Still ...If the right "wish list" duramax shows up I'll jump, and maybe sell my 02 2500hd,,, it's got 195,000 km's, body pretty solid not the usual gm rusting should get a descent $ for it...
One odd thing I found between the almost identical 02 & 06 2500hd's , the 06 seems to turn sharper..
Either that or this perception is birth certificate related...

Considering the age and cost of body work, might be better off to take a payout and keep the truck, could likely fix it a lot cheaper if you're not after a perfect body.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they cough up the $7400 I'll likely do that,,, however I work in disaster restoration and typically the payout is lower than the quoted/claim....
Considering the age and cost of body work, might be better off to take a payout and keep the truck, could likely fix it a lot cheaper if you're not after a perfect body.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been a while to get things sorted, However I did find my truck….$13,5k
Body in good shape, Little higher mileage, 330k Truck needs nothing,,
I still gotta look into getting the seat repaired (wear holes top corner) before it totally gets outta hand…
Had two shops go through it to find/address issues everything is good.. But as a staring point for me I did get All fluids/filters flushed/changed, diffs, transmission motor etc… No sparkles anywhere,,
Theres buttons everywhere,,,, Not used to this I’ve always gravitated towards basic (Less to go wrong)
Do any of these cause grief later on…

Attachments

• 8E2287B1-7D99-4E89-A6BA-A2AEA773C69F.jpeg
    8E2287B1-7D99-4E89-A6BA-A2AEA773C69F.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1506ECD6-066F-4B87-A31F-CE1DFF46A58A.jpeg
    1506ECD6-066F-4B87-A31F-CE1DFF46A58A.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 83

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Been a while to get things sorted, However I did find my truck….$13,5k
Body in good shape, Little higher mileage, 330k Truck needs nothing,,
I still gotta look into getting the seat repaired (wear holes top corner) before it totally gets outta hand…
Had two shops go through it to find/address issues everything is good.. But as a staring point for me I did get All fluids/filters flushed/changed, diffs, transmission motor etc… No sparkles anywhere,,
Theres buttons everywhere,,,, Not used to this I’ve always gravitated towards basic (Less to go wrong)
Do any of these cause grief later on…
it's not white! Ron it doesn't match your fleet!

Top Bottom