forester conditions

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but realy don't think there is enough snow to ride till Dec anyways

sent from my htc

mcridge

Reaction score
I think this needs to be its own thread now to get the word out so people will voice there opinion and can get the info to email the government with their ideas/opinions.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gents,
The Windermere Valley Snowmobile Club has put in a ton of effort to have Catamount Glacier opened up to sleds for the upcoming season, from February 15th on. That also includes use of the Olive Hut. At this time there is an amendment out to grant us access to the area, however, even though back country skiers rarely use the area, they are complaining tirelessy to keep things as in and have the area permanently shutdown for sleds. I've been told if we direct our emails to aina.cernenoks@gov.bc.ca and there is enough support then they will pursue with opening the area. If you use Forster and would like to access Catamount, legally, please fire an email off to Aina on or before Oct.31, 2012. I have heard the government may lean towards keeping things as is because of the limited support from the sled community.

Thanks,

Email address is correct and works for me.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but realy don't think there is enough snow to ride till Dec anyways

sent from my htc

Been in there as early as nov 11th but I'd stay out till the 1st to gain legal sled access to the glacier. One concern the hut society has brought up is vandalism at the olive hut which is a valid point. Troubles with people burning up all the wood for "day use" then when others get there to stay overnight it's pretty damn cold. Same problem as they have had at Mcmurdo and Dave white hut.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh dunno.

That link took me to the main tourism b.c site.

sent from my htc

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say lock the hut and lock the firewood. You need to pay to play....

The government should give the area up to sledding since the skiing is only good early and late season for stability reasons and the CVHS should be given another tenure for a new hut in trades.

summitking

Reaction score
Fellas, thanks for the support. I created a new thread under the Golden area riding so let's direct our attention there from now on.

Sounds like the email doesn't work properly from a smart phone. Also, from what I know Forster has always been closed till Nov 30 annually, but like Catamount, rarely seriously enforced.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what if ch!t hits the fan and you need to spend a night up there... be a long walk down a glacier to get to the regular sled cabin.

there are areas that don't have a cabin at all so I can't see that being an arguement. it's really not that far anyway and lots of it is downhill, sit and slide:)

I agree with TD, lock it up like mcmurdo is what I suggested to the society.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what if ch!t hits the fan and you need to spend a night up there... be a long walk down a glacier to get to the regular sled cabin.

If you travel in the backcountry rule of thumb is "self-rescue" if you are unable to be prepared then I think people should reassess there skill levels and ride accordingly.

Best advice take a survival course, get first aid, pack accordingly.

I know you know the deal Oler so this is not directed at you but a it is a good point for the countless unprepared people that are venturing out into these areas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah the cabin situation is splitting hairs it is good to have somewhere to go if you get socked in out there and have some troubles but i am sure the people staying there will understand that and make room for you. Cabins in a way make an area safer you can be the best prepared outdoorsman and get caught in mothere nature. It's just a good place to go and to know where they are. That being said the booked ones need to be respected. Never turn somebody out that is having trouble it could be you next time!!!

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just at Forester. Not much snow down low. 40-50cm of very firm base. Lots of traffic on Sat. 20+ sledders. Everyone was going up on Thunderwater with out a problem. Beware the Lake is not very frozen yet....

HAYDENC

Reaction score
Where are guys parking?? Can you park in the parking lot? Have a 6 place trailer.. Thinking about coming up Saturday so around the cabin there is about 40cm and up thunder 140!?

bigdogbenson

Reaction score
me and my buddy just got the 2013 xm and I have a condo rented in radium for a week nov 25 till dec 3rd going to have experience riders thats like to have all kinds of fun :beer: all of us in our early 20s wondering if there is any locals that wanna show us around or tag along? Or just some info on areas to ride ? Thanks BIGDAWG

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me and my buddy just got the 2013 xm and I have a condo rented in radium for a week nov 25 till dec 3rd going to have experience riders thats like to have all kinds of fun :beer: all of us in our early 20s wondering if there is any locals that wanna show us around or tag along? Or just some info on areas to ride ? Thanks BIGDAWG

Bigdogbenson, ridin the area quite a bit, know it fairly well, maybe headin out that way or towards Golden on that weekend. Also in my early twenties. Always nice to ride with new guys

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are guys parking?? Can you park in the parking lot? Have a 6 place trailer.. Thinking about coming up Saturday so around the cabin there is about 40cm and up thunder 140!?

Parking is at 33Km. Not much snow below that. Like I said there is hardly any snow down low due to the rain events.

Top Bottom