forester conditions

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm has something changed here??? We are now allowed on the glacier???

last time i check this is a watershed for the radium valley and it is federal mandate that it is closed to sledders. Hate to be on that glacier with a conservation officer waiting for you at the bottom willing/ready to sieze your sled.

Wouldn't Thunderwater and Whirlpool be just as much a part of the watershed? Shoot, the whole valley for that matter.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't Thunderwater and Whirlpool be just as much a part of the watershed? Shoot, the whole valley for that matter.

exactly my point, we get whirlpool and thunderwater in return of the glacier. But if everyone cannot regulate themselves mayby they will shut the whole place down. What bigger reason do they need than it is a watershed, caribou closures arnt even on this same level with an excuss like this. It wont even be a debate, just a closure.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys talking Thunderwater Lake or Catamount/North Star? Catamount and North Star are officially closed to sledding, have been since 1996 as far as I know they still are. Until its officially opened, its still closed IMO. The govt will happily take your money, especially if you've just ridden right past a "motorized restricted area closure sign" at the gas drop........if the sign is still there, thread with care.

mcridge

Reaction score
I'd be interested to find out how many people have actually received fines for being up there????? And if so how much??? I still have a huge problem with this battle considering RK heli skiing's position.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know there has been no fines for years as there is no money for enforcement. I believe fines were around $250.
There was an official application for access submitted by the club and it went through the red tape. A unofficial agreement was made last spring, when the official document was printed RK would not sign it. Sled club executive is pissed and has said screw it ride on.... not sure that's the best way to deal with it but it's up to them until someone else takes over.

I would bet it has alot to do with the Jumbo agreement and JGR pushing RK out from that area.

The entire area is a watershed which is why there is not supposed to be any gas cans or refilling of sleds past the foot bridge.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forester was good on Saturday, even freshly groomed. You were on snow just past the regular parking area. Pretty good for this time of year. Mostly hero snow but north facing stuff was still powdery.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Forster on May 12...parked close to the 30 cuz trucks were stopped there...but you could go further. Few shady corners might be tough, but it's worth the try. The trail is dirt, dirt, dirt..and more dirt...pretty much to the gas drop. Super dusty...get as far as you can. :) No snow other than those corners and near the drop but by this weekend you should be driving close to the 40.

Snow up top was soft, no night freezes but there's still lots up there. You can see alot of the rock now...and can tell there's been some serious melt, but still good to ride for anyone looking to ride May Long.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
woohoo, rode today! unloaded at the gas drop on snow and away we went. it may be the last of the sledding up there, creek running down the trail on the way out.

only one snow bridge left in the meadow, but 30+cm of heavy wet fresh and over 3m of snowpack on the catamount. made for some spicy skiing!

still can't figure out why people leave their beer cans in the cabin for someone else to clean up! last entry was a bob and murray from calgary june 1st.... not sure if it was them but if it was :nono:

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the closure on the catamount only during the rk ski season? I thought the sign at the lower parking said it was closed year round or did I miss read it?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the closure on the catamount only during the rk ski season? I thought the sign at the lower parking said it was closed year round or did I miss read it?

The motorized closure is from 7000' and up on the west side of the area and it is not closed to skiing which is what we were doing.

motox208

Reaction score
When do most guys usually start riding at forester? I'm already itching to go and am wondering when I can expect deep enough snow to head out for a break in ride on the new sled

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes first part of Nov if you're lucky...LOTS of rocks up there so best to wait for good coverage. By the beginning of December it's usually covered.

summitking

Reaction score
Gents,
The Windermere Valley Snowmobile Club has put in a ton of effort to have Catamount Glacier opened up to sleds for the upcoming season, from February 15th on. That also includes use of the Olive Hut. At this time there is an amendment out to grant us access to the area, however, even though back country skiers rarely use the area, they are complaining tirelessy to keep things as in and have the area permanently shutdown for sleds. I've been told if we direct our emails to aina.cernenoks@gov.bc.ca and there is enough support then they will pursue with opening the area. If you use Forster and would like to access Catamount, legally, please fire an email off to Aina on or before Oct.31, 2012. I have heard the government may lean towards keeping things as is because of the limited support from the sled community.

Thanks,

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would love to say yes to forester open.

But that link takes a guy to a b.c web site.

Not a e mail or comment area.

Please let me know when one that works comes up so I can voice my side.

sent from my htc

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Just a question Why is feb 15 THE day. What is the reason behind this being the day picked to open the area. I must be missing something

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably no diff than caribou closures in revy ect...

Has to have a start and stop days

sent from my htc

Top Bottom