First ride today.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The real question is...how many shrimp lost their lives on your first ride? hehe

Haha Geoff! I didn't even open the side panels. Unloaded the sled into the shop 10 days ago and didn't even look at it as I am still too busy with customers. Turned the key in the shop and out on the road. No registration, no helmet, no boots, no walk around, and definitely no shrimp.

I had a buddy come today and I just opened the side panel to look at the new CVT. I understand why one of buds from Sicamous had a problem getting the CVT off or putting it on. What a pita! That will be the first mod.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha Geoff! I didn't even open the side panels. Unloaded the sled into the shop 10 days ago and didn't even look at it as I am still too busy with customers. Turned the key in the shop and out on the road. No registration, no helmet, no boots, no walk around, and definitely no shrimp.

I had a buddy come today and I just opened the side panel to look at the new CVT. I understand why one of buds from Sicamous had a problem getting the CVT off or putting it on. What a pita! That will be the first mod.

Seem any more responsive? Seems like all second year Etecs in the past have benefitted from a year of programming and get more responsive

devildogg

Reaction score
Whether it is 4 blocks, 4 miles, or 40 miles, the first ride is the first ride!!!! With 11" or nearly 30 cm in the yard it was time to plow. I had to exchange the lawn tractor for the quad and plow and to do that I had to take the G4 out of the shop. May as well go for a little rip around the block and up the hill. First ride is always sweet!

View attachment 206880
Geez Doug what happened to having our first rides together. I got snow in the track today also. Albiet just around the house a couple of times

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Geez Doug what happened to having our first rides together. I got snow in the track today also. Albiet just around the house a couple of times

That's pretty sweet! Way to go. A tree rider like yourself is going to have a lot of fun on that beauty!

As for the first ride, mine was up the hill on Driftwood and that was as much like going around the house a few times!!!

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First ride today on the prairies on the ole 440, was a good day, just gunna send it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Got my wife's sled (2017 G4) all put together (a little damage to some plastics and the headlight pod) and it is ready to go. A little test ride up the hill yesterday. Not very much snow (30 cm) but okay for a valley bottom trail ride.

The 2018 is still being worked on; foam/felt has been removed, theThing is next, removable tail flap install, and then strip the decals and install the wrap.

IMG_1529.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What's the advantage of the removable tail flap?

My biggest concern is backing off my flatdeck and having the tail flap getting caught under the track. I have used various methods in the past. In 2013, I did a video where I was able to turn the tail flap under the rear bumper. On the G4's, the rear bumper had a different design and I made some hooks to hold the flap up. With the removable flap, it is not a concern now.

I don't know how much the evacuation of snow out the rear end is a hinderance to my style of riding and/or the difference in snow from Whistler to Fernie but it will be interesting to see if there is any difference. Norona seems to think it is quite noticeable. I had a little extra money so I bought a couple to see how they perform.

They are a pita to install. Quite a few beers and quite a few hours.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back on my 95 and 97 sleds we made the snow flap removable and did it on the hill all the time, In deep pow and on climbs it made about a sled length- 2 sled lengths difference the snow just evacuated better,, I didn't do it on later sleds because I forgot one or lost a few one was stolen at the cabin, got sick of buying new ones! lol

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
c03298db9172e602be2200d3a1a24165.jpg
weird, fuel guage said empty then I put in 10L and it went to full, but its not...? I put about 3km on around home and put trail cam back out. Supposed to get a couple cm of snow tomorrow so wanted to put in a track on the kids loop so it will drift in for us. We’ll drag out the 87 Enticer 340 and buddies 98 Skummit 670 after school tomorrow too... Happy sledding!??

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/c03298db9172e602be2200d3a1a24165.jpg weird, fuel guage said empty then I put in 10L and it went to full, but its not...? I put about 3km on around home and put trail cam back out. Supposed to get a couple cm of snow tomorrow so wanted to put in a track on the kids loop so it will drift in for us. We’ll drag out the 87 Enticer 340 and buddies 98 Skummit 670 after school tomorrow too... Happy sledding!??
Don't forget you have to burp these sleds while filling them. Push down on the back bumper and it will burp and fart for you then top it off with fuel dumb design

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget you have to burp these sleds while filling them. Push down on the back bumper and it will burp and fart for you then top it off with fuel dumb design

Yes sirree, I am quite familiar with fuelling up xms as I have 3500km on this one and 3000km on my t3, it didn’t get within 7-8L of full and was nowhere near empty when I added. Hopefully it fixes itself, warranty is over on this rig.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes sirree, I am quite familiar with fuelling up xms as I have 3500km on this one and 3000km on my t3, it didn’t get within 7-8L of full and was nowhere near empty when I added. Hopefully it fixes itself, warranty is over on this rig.
Bet it needs a sender, they do that when bad

My 14 got replaced under warranty

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick question... do the G4’s need to be burped like the XM’s to get them full?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Quick question... do the G4’s need to be burped like the XM’s to get them full?

They can still hold a little more (a litre or two if I remember right) if they are burped but they are not as bad as the XM's. One has to remember, the G4 holds less gas than the XM (35-36 litres compared to 40 litres).

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can still hold a little more (a litre or two if I remember right) if they are burped but they are as bad as the XM's. One has to remember, the G4 holds less gas than the XM (35-36 litres compared to 40 litres).

This is one of the reasons the RTR weights are coming down for some new models. Also not fair comparison to other manufacturers RTR weights when they hold 44 litres. I guess it would be okay if they became so efficient that they used less fuel and we could then say both had fuel for 8 hours riding etc. Sorry a little off the topic of "first ride".

Top Bottom