Fernie conditions

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday, we went to ten lakes, but soon found that they had less than a foot, and very fast going down hill because of ice snow ...more snow in fortine than at the boarder, so then we went to hungry horse

We looked for the Grave Creek area on the way down but must of missed the turning sign. We were running late anyway so we headed straight for Kalispell and hit the dealers to buy parts we knew we would need after a weekend in the trees…!

Rode McGuiness with Amber Holt and had just a bit of new snow but Shawn from FasToys knew where to go to find the good stuff.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DONT come the sow sucks.... lol.

K maybe Its not handle bar deep but today was the best day riding I've had in 2 years. Its only bumper deep, a honest bumper deep in the trees, but holly smoke that was fun. I don't care if its -20 in the am or if I have a group of riders. the riding right now is awesome if you know were to look...

doug try one bowl towards town of the last place I saw you and run it up to the top end... DEEP AND FUN but don't tell anyone...

All I can say is In Fernie we can almost always find good snow if you know where the secret stashes are. (and that may be true every where but after all the years here I still find stashes that surprise me year after year.)

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish we could could make comments like this accountable for all the carnage they make,ski hill is reporting 8 cm in last week, and this guy reports best in two years....get your crap together fernie, lots of guys driving from afar and real conditions are needed.... Last time out three weeks ago, it was the worst conditions I have ever seen there!!!!

DONT come the sow sucks.... lol.

K maybe Its not handle bar deep but today was the best day riding I've had in 2 years. Its only bumper deep, a honest bumper deep in the trees, but holly smoke that was fun. I don't care if its -20 in the am or if I have a group of riders. the riding right now is awesome if you know were to look...

doug try one bowl towards town of the last place I saw you and run it up to the top end... DEEP AND FUN but don't tell anyone...

All I can say is In Fernie we can almost always find good snow if you know where the secret stashes are. (and that may be true every where but after all the years here I still find stashes that surprise me year after year.)

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the comments cause the carnage, or the drivers?? 2 weeks ago the snow was good. Just had to leave the beaten path to find it. Its just *not* a record snowfall year... some guys learn to ride the snow, some blame carnage on others...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should of been at the trailers at the end of the day, sleds getting towed out all over, guys from Washington drove up from reports here and drove back at days end.... I could drive better conditions at the farm, if it's not there than report it, when it's good report it... Don't lie to make it good for local business

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well to start with I said it was not bar deep. Its only bumper deep and that you had to know where to look... frankly wind loading in Fernie has more to do with the snow then anything. Like I said it was the best day I've had in 2 years... but now that I think about it I am wrong, the last day I had that was as good as today was in 2011 with a rider that was getting to be good enough that i was free to drag him any place I wanted. He still talks about a few lines that day and that day wasn't even bumper deep.
Snow is what you make of it... there is lots to play in right now, just don't expect bar deep conditions because I think you will have trouble finding them any place right now.
Today was a scouting day looking for good snow because we haven't had much as of late. Today I found triple what I hoped for and some awesome places I usually don't get to push into.

I will never tell anyone that the snow is great if its not I will tell you that you need to hit the trees to find it right now the rest sucks.
The other few that report on here are just as reliable we all Know where to look and might have reports them seem large if you run out into the open, but get into some of our bowls or some of the trees on the right side of ridges and you may be shocked.

Also as far as to make good for local business the best thing we can do is tell the truth. Witch was done.

Next time your out give me a call I can point you in the right direction...
Andy

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found some pretty decent snow in Fernie yesterday too. Seemed like all the wind loading was happening on the opposite faces than usual. Found some decent good cut blocks and trees. Main trail to the cabin was in great shape. Heading up Pages Draw was like riding a sewing machine.

Sent from a Galaxy S3 far far away.

Jvl

Reaction score
The season as a whole is lacking powder and deep days. Yes sledding is still fun in the trees with wind loading but the problem with wind loading is after a day or two it also gets hard usually. When people say that it was one of the best days they ever had and it wasn't deep I know it is possible if that is what they or their client that they are guiding is looking for. The fact is that most people come to Fernie for handle-deep fluff. Not to ride wind-scoured snow or hard pack trails. So we are hoping for big dumps soon to rejuvenate the season before it starts to melt.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep I am very aware that we all want the deep days, and living in Fernie I think of myself as spoiled. I get my share of deep days but I will never complain about a foot of soft on a set up base. call it what you will but track free knee deep or bumper or whatever you want to call it. is just as much fun for me as some of the deep days I can remember. I think most of us, I was one of them for a long time! don't get into the right frame of mind to enjoy the less then supper deep days. but with the type of riding I am getting more and more into and the messed up creek beds, bolder lines... we are running this stuff is awesome.

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep I am very aware that we all want the deep days, and living in Fernie I think of myself as spoiled. I get my share of deep days but I will never complain about a foot of soft on a set up base. call it what you will but track free knee deep or bumper or whatever you want is just as much fun for me as some of the deep days I can remember. I think most of us, I was one of them for a long time! don't get into the right frame of mind to enjoy the less then supper deep days. but with the type of riding I am getting more and more into and the messed up creek beds, bolder lines... we are running this stuff is awesome.

Very well said.

Jvl

Reaction score
So what you should have said to Fred from Medicine Hat after his post Is that, I know you drag your sled for hours to ride Fernie's legendary powder after reading posts of best day in years. Well you can if you get it in your mind that you should lower your expectations on the the quality of the snow and ride with me and I'll guide you to powder.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has less to lowering snow standards then increaseing your ability to ride, or go places you don't normally go. Don't people get bored going to the same meadow/bowl whatever, time after time??

Or you guys can just sit at home in the computer and bich... thats fine too.

Jvl

Reaction score
Yes you do get bored going to the same place and yes I think riding with a guide or a new place to improve or push you will make the day fun. But what the issue is, is that you can't say or insinuate that it's great conditions when they're not. It's a very low snow pack this year.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only slightly less snow now then last year at the same time... We always get a dead spot in the winter and I always seem to still find good snow. YES we need some to fill in the normal riding areas but I will be out ether way and I will be in reasonably good snow.

I never reported great snow I said bumper deep... thats what Im riding day in day out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, there are good spots and the snow is a little below average and as Andy says, a little below last year at this time. It is surprising, but if you have been reading this thread, here is the chart again. John, it is not a "very low snow pack this year"......We have had a lot of riders this year with not a lot of new fresh and the tracks are obviously not covered up and everyone is exploring the easy stuff. Grooming Friday night, I saw lots of tree riding with untracked fresh on the McEvoy. There are more tracks there than most years so even those secret stashes have been explored.

spd2c09q.jpg

Jvl

Reaction score
Well last year at this time was poor too. But at the end of January the difference was 40cm in the snow pack and in feb it's 59cm year to year. So you can sugar coat it anyway you want to get clients but the fact is its really low this year so far.

Top Bottom