FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

Klondike Mike

Reaction score
A quote from Don Martin's write up on the front page of the National Post today, March 17th 2010
Warned, but still willing to risk it

"Parks Canada has added up the damage to its bottom line from deploying 12 helicopters and dozens of support staff to pull daredevils and spectators out of their own ignorance or stupidity and it comes in at $75,000 minimum, with the potential to hit six figures once all the bills come due"
"

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That said, I am firmly in the camp that feels the people on that hill, that day, highmarking it, or sitting at the bottom got what they deserved. That was just plain dumb.

I ride pretty much exclusively in major avy terrain. I KNOW when to stay off the hill.

Holly Crap, I lost track of all the names you have called the people that were just enjoying a nice sunny spring day out sledding... WoW you got some nasty things to say.

And to say the dead and injured deserved it, WOW!

If you are, the big mountain sledder that rides exclusively major avy terrain that you claim...:rolleyes: I just wonder if you really only ride when it's totally safe, in other words, do you really practice what you are preaching... ??

Anybody who has some time invested in mountain riding will tell you every slope is different every hour of the day, day of the week, and week of the season... If turbo slid Friday, the avalanche rating would NOT have changed for Saturday... But we all know it would be safe, right?

A blanket avy warning for all the slopes in an area is not accurate at all, so stop the insane bickering about the very general avalanche warning for a whole region.

Risk management would be the thing needing improvement, calling people all those defamatory names, and saying they deserved to die and to be maimed and broken up, is really just asking for a slow, painful death, Karma is a bitch.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A quote from Don Martin's write up on the front page of the National Post today, March 17th 2010
Warned, but still willing to risk it

"Parks Canada has added up the damage to its bottom line from deploying 12 helicopters and dozens of support staff to pull daredevils and spectators out of their own ignorance or stupidity and it comes in at $75,000 minimum, with the potential to hit six figures once all the bills come due"
"

Well I guess that answers most of my question. Some people like their tax money going to building swimming pools and hockey arenas, bike paths,skateboard parks etc. I dont complain about that and will never use them. If my tax dollars or my 20 bucks when stopping in a park goes to rescuing someone in the backcountry thats fine by me and should be to others as well.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I read the whole 14 pages to get here. Lots of interesting ways of looking at the tragedy. I admit, I like Susies letter and I am glad there is some play on the positive side so that all sledders are not portraited in a negative light. My sympathy to those who were killed or injured.

That said, I am firmly in the camp that feels the people on that hill, that day, highmarking it, or sitting at the bottom got what they deserved. That was just plain dumb. There was a huge amount of new snow on a questionable base, there was a severe avy danger warning, most admit to having seen other slides in the area. What the heck were you doing on that hill?

I would love to hear the rational for the people that were there participating in that.

I ride pretty much exclusively in major avy terrain. I KNOW when to stay off the hill. This group had a responsibility to know the same. These actions rightfully reflect badly on snowmobillers everywhere. I wish people would wise up.

SORRY BUT NO ONE DESERVES TO DIE OR GET INJURED PERIOD. I sure hope you don't get what is coming to you..

john c

Reaction score
There is a big difference between an accident and a mistake. The snowmobile community, our communtiy, has a serious problem right now with a minority of it's members and it will affect us all. Time for the 90% that either didn't go to this event or were sitting out of the slide path to start self policing the 10% who are putting all of our good time at risk. Anyone who is arguing that this was some act of good, an accident, or saying that we all take risks doesn't know what they are talking about. There is absolutly no rider in their right mind who would think of high marking 40 to 50 degree terrain in high avy danger. Only the uneducated were doing that or sitting in the runout. End of story. This 10% are embarasing themselves and our sport by continuing to claim otherwise. Mistakes can only be remedied when one first admits that there was a mistake. Those people who were there were clowns. Time to isolate them, teach them, don't ride with them, until they change their ways. Otherwise we will loose access to the backcountry and for good reason. Their behavior, ignorance, and arrogance will effect everyone from skiers, four wheelers, kayakers, hunters and on and on. Red mtn rider is speaking the truth for the love of his sport. Time to step up, fess up, grow up, and shut the **** up. Don't mess with my or any other responsable person's good time.

The only act of god was that more people weren't killed. And it wasn't an act of god. It was an act of shovels, probes, preparation, and will power. Props to those out of the path who saved so many. That is like having an ambulance on the side of the road before the car crash. They knew it was coming and waited to pick up the pieces. Knowingly putting themselves in harms way to save the ignorant and arrogant. The group of riders out of the slide path were by their nature the ones who were prepared, equiped and smart enough to be able to deal with others mistakes. You wanna respect the victims of this, don't let it happen again.

teamti

Reaction score
For your information, the only key differences in the 2003 Mount Cheops avalanche that killed 7 students (the dead students were all 15-year-olds in grade 10) from Strathcona-Tweedsmuir school were: 1. they were with a licensed guide 2. they had skis and 3. They did not have 200 friends on snowmobiles that came to the rescue in minutes.

The conditions that day were rated considerable.
The path that slid naturally that day was the ONLY path that slid that day and it came from the opposite side of the valley.

This was an accident.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a big difference between an accident and a mistake. The snowmobile community, our communtiy, has a serious problem right now with a minority of it's members and it will affect us all. Time for the 90% that either didn't go to this event or were sitting out of the slide path to start self policing the 10% who are putting all of our good time at risk. Anyone who is arguing that this was some act of good, an accident, or saying that we all take risks doesn't know what they are talking about. There is absolutly no rider in their right mind who would think of high marking 40 to 50 degree terrain in high avy danger. Only the uneducated were doing that or sitting in the runout. End of story. This 10% are embarasing themselves and our sport by continuing to claim otherwise. Mistakes can only be remedied when one first admits that there was a mistake. Those people who were there were clowns. Time to isolate them, teach them, don't ride with them, until they change their ways. Otherwise we will loose access to the backcountry and for good reason. Their behavior, ignorance, and arrogance will effect everyone from skiers, four wheelers, kayakers, hunters and on and on. Red mtn rider is speaking the truth for the love of his sport. Time to step up, fess up, grow up, and shut the **** up. Don't mess with my or any other responsable person's good time.

The only act of god was that more people weren't killed. And it wasn't an act of god. It was an act of shovels, probes, preparation, and will power. Props to those out of the path who saved so many. That is like having an ambulance on the side of the road before the car crash. They knew it was coming and waited to pick up the pieces. Knowingly putting themselves in harms way to save the ignorant and arrogant. The group of riders out of the slide path were by their nature the ones who were prepared, equiped and smart enough to be able to deal with others mistakes. You wanna respect the victims of this, don't let it happen again.

haha.common

so guys like dan davidoff ( knows more about the backcountry than you sorry) and other sledding professionals who were there are clowns? give me a break.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted some this in another thread but felt this part was better suited here.

Now the accident in Revy was Terrible and alot of mistakes were made. why I dunno, i not here to point fingers but the person controlling the throttle controls his own fate and that is HIS/Her choice, some people are better at reading the mountain than others and commen sence, skill, and experience plays a huge factor in that, regardless of the conditions.
But I can tell you this the media beat the backcountry sledders bad over this, calling us crazy and irresponsible because, they don't understand what we feel when we pull the perfect line or shread 4ft of fresh pow in a meadow on a bluebird sky day, looking at the beautiful BC scenery that most will never see.
Yes It was a black day for us BUT don't forget the most Important part of the accident. The SAR did a fantastic job on the hill that weekend and my hat's off to you, BUT SAR were not the first on the scene the SLEDDERS were!!! The Media left that important part out, with the panic and the fear that all those people indured after the slide they still came together and did a great gob in forming a probe line and carried out searches. Between the SAR and the Sledder rescues and considering the amount of people caught in the slide, I think you all know what I'm getting at.

234blair

Reaction score
The conditions that day were rated considerable.
The path that slid naturally that day was the ONLY path that slid that day and it came from the opposite side of the valley.

This was an accident.

The whole rating system was changed after that accident. The snow pack and conditions were very similar.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take away the snow and avalanches people will still be getting killed in the backcountry. In the summer the media say how dangerous atv's are.The media are liberal greenies and dont want anyone in the backcountry period.In their reports of the avalanche they always add high powered suped up machines, they dont care if you just ride to the cabin or go up the biggest hill they dont want you out there.They are anti-sled,anti-atv,anti-hunting,or anti anyone else with time and or money to enjoy the outdoors. I already heard from one media member how the silly oilman from the flatlands should have stayed at home.Five years without a tragedy could pass the media would still be trying to get you shut out of your favorite areas because of some other stupid thing.This is just current so its easy ammo for them.

john c

Reaction score
The conditions were rated high. Multiple riders have stated they were no where near this zone cuz of these conditions. Like 90% of the riders were riding low angle terrain, much smaller slide paths etc. that day cuz they get it. This is really really basic. High avy danger means ride less exposed terrain period. And to defend hanging out 200 deep in a runout. Yeah ok. Everyone is laughing at us right now and you are embaraing our sport and yourself by saying high marking two deep on a path as large as turbo on a day that the avy center is flying all red flags is assinine. I don't claim to know more than Dan whoever but I am fairly certain the profesionals at the avy center do know more than Dan whosamajobby and they are shaking their heads right now in disbeleif that there are that many people that idiotic. Accident this was not, it was an easily predicted mistake. Passing on blind corners until you get in a head on ain't an accident, it is a mistake. Plain and simple. It is essential that we as a group educate ourselves and others right now so as to continue to have the privalege to ride. A million dollar rescue and investigation is not our right to have happen. Childishly continuing to claim this was an accident is to say we will not learn anything from it. Not being capable of learning would make one a rock... As for every slope being different at blah blah. Here is a pic from the day before. This is an around the clock slide. Every aspect. Yeah, brilliant, this from right down the road. Let's go high marking on some steep stuff. Mistake, not accident. Put that in your tank and burn it...

Attachments

• MW_Tiger-stripe_area100301-SH_avalanche.jpg
    MW_Tiger-stripe_area100301-SH_avalanche.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 88

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it's time to move forward. We all need to ask ourselves: is there a valuable lesson that can be learned from this tragedy?? Or do we continue to point fingers, lay blame and accuse others when we only hear what is on these forums and don't really know the whole story??

My opinion is this....mountain sledders, experienced or not, need to start being responsible for their own well being in the backcountry. That means reading and understanding the avalanche bulletins. Take an AST1 course. This is the bare minimum that is needed for safe travel through mountainous terrain. Of course you need a beacon, shovel and probe.....beacon on your body, shovel and probe in your pack not on your sled!! Most importantly, you need to know how to use these tools. Having them is simply not enough. Practice mock searches with your beacon. Carry a spare beacon with you on your trip, wrap it in a baggie and bury it during your lunch break. Have your buddies try to be the fastest to find it, it can be a game if you like. If your buddies have an extra beacon or two, you can bury those and perform multiple burial searches as well. It helps to have a newer digital beacon for this, such as a Pieps DSP for flagging. Before you know it, after a few of these mock searches....you will be much more comfortable knowing that you can use your beacon in a real- life scenario if needed.

Hopefully you will never have to use your beacon. I believe it's much more important to look at the bulletins before you go and if you've decided to ride a certain area anyway even under not-so-ideal conditions....you can dig a snowpit and check out the layers in the snowpack. You can even use your probe to check how the snow "feels". I know the snowpack will vary from aspect to aspect, face to face, etc....but it will give you a "general" idea.

Please take an AST 1 course. I learned so much when I took mine, and I want to do a refresher in a couple of years. Once you take this course you will never look at sledding in the mountains quite the same again....you will be so much more aware of your surroundings. You will question why you see other groups sitting in run out zones, and highmarking unsafely. It will make you wonder why they are doing these things and only asking for the consequences. I have a family that I need to come home to at the end of my day in the mountains and that was more than enough reason to take this course.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Holly Crap, I lost track of all the names you have called the people that were just enjoying a nice sunny spring day out sledding... WoW you got some nasty things to say.

And to say the dead and injured deserved it, WOW!

If you are, the big mountain sledder that rides exclusively major avy terrain that you claim...:rolleyes: I just wonder if you really only ride when it's totally safe, in other words, do you really practice what you are preaching... ??

Anybody who has some time invested in mountain riding will tell you every slope is different every hour of the day, day of the week, and week of the season... If turbo slid Friday, the avalanche rating would NOT have changed for Saturday... But we all know it would be safe, right?

A blanket avy warning for all the slopes in an area is not accurate at all, so stop the insane bickering about the very general avalanche warning for a whole region.

Risk management would be the thing needing improvement, calling people all those defamatory names, and saying they deserved to die and to be maimed and broken up, is really just asking for a slow, painful death, Karma is a bitch.
Yeah - I gotta agree with this one - for someone to state that they only ride in MAJOR avy terrain and then say they go out when conditions are bad but only ride "safe" stuff....sounds like counter-logic? That's kinda like saying sky divers only jump when the sky is safe to do so, but it might not be the sky that kills them, its the sudden stop at the bottom of the freefall (even if they have all the proper gear)....You stated that you wouldn't have been highmarking when the conditions were so extreme - but someone with comprehensive avy training should be aware that even riding in "safe" areas of major extreme avy terrain does not require you to be highmarking to get into trouble. A major avy runout can catch you off guard in your "safe" areas. I'm sure a lot of the spectators that got caught thought they were in a "safe" area too, not unlike yourself......overconfidence can be a great bedfellow...or a cruel mistress.

No one "got what was coming to them" that day. That's a rough statement IMO - these people weren't rapists and murders, they were family folk. Independent of your opinion about their decisions that day, they did not "deserve" this. Their families did not deserve this. Does a family of 5 deserve to die because they were on the road when a drunk driver piloting a cement truck crashed into the back of their minivan - killing 3 young children (actually happened here in Calgary)? The parents knew the risks of highway travel, but in doing the right thing, they actually stopped at the red light when the cement truck struck them? There are hazards and risks on the highway - were they stupid to be out driving? They took a risk - did they deserve to die? Some things are out of our control. Do you think that anyone on Boulder wouldn't change it all if that had to do it over again? Yes mistakes were made and this is very apparent - Thanks for reminding us - but don't be the guy that beats a dead horse. You're comments have been noted but at this stage you're not adding anything productive to the discussion IMO. Why not try and educate people on what signs they should have looked for, instead of saying "they didn't look for the signs". Yeah - I think its safe to say that point has been identified. Will people learn from this? Yes. Worrying about the perception of how it makes remaining sledders look and being angry about the poor choices that were made....well, what's done is done. The time is now for us to shift our paradigm and become proactive, instead of reactive. Maybe you can help sledders change.

I don't think that people are hiding from the truth about what happened, so "enlightening" the masses is not necessary IMO. Try a more tactful approach and people will listen to your opinion.

Just my $0.02

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I gotta agree with this one - for someone to state that they only ride in MAJOR avy terrain and then say they go out when conditions are bad but only ride "safe" stuff....sounds like counter-logic? That's kinda like saying sky divers only jump when the sky is safe to do so, but it might not be the sky that kills them, its the sudden stop at the bottom of the freefall (even if they have all the proper gear)....You stated that you wouldn't have been highmarking when the conditions were so extreme - but someone with comprehensive avy training should be aware that even riding in "safe" areas of major extreme avy terrain does not require you to be highmarking to get into trouble. A major avy runout can catch you off guard in your "safe" areas. I'm sure a lot of the spectators that got caught thought they were in a "safe" area too, not unlike yourself......overconfidence can be a great bedfellow...or a cruel mistress.

No one "got what was coming to them" that day. That's a rough statement IMO - these people weren't rapists and murders, they were family folk. Independent of your opinion about their decisions that day, they did not "deserve" this. Their families did not deserve this. Does a family of 5 deserve to die because they were on the road when a drunk driver piloting a cement truck crashed into the back of their minivan - killing 3 young children (actually happened here in Calgary)? The parents knew the risks of highway travel, but in doing the right thing, they actually stopped at the red light when the cement truck struck them? There are hazards and risks on the highway - were they stupid to be out driving? They took a risk - did they deserve to die? Some things are out of our control. Do you think that anyone on Boulder wouldn't change it all if that had to do it over again? Yes mistakes were made and this is very apparent - Thanks for reminding us - but don't be the guy that beats a dead horse. You're comments have been noted but at this stage you're not adding anything productive to the discussion IMO. Why not try and educate people on what signs they should have looked for, instead of saying "they didn't look for the signs". Yeah - I think its safe to say that point has been identified. Will people learn from this? Yes. Worrying about the perception of how it makes remaining sledders look and being angry about the poor choices that were made....well, what's done is done. The time is now for us to shift our paradigm and become proactive, instead of reactive. Maybe you can help sledders change.

I don't think that people are hiding from the truth about what happened, so "enlightening" the masses is not necessary IMO. Try a more tactful approach and people will listen to your opinion.

Just my $0.02

Yeah but if there was a travel warning saying that there was a high to extreme risk of being hit by a cement truck i probably wouldnt travel, just sayin

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yeah but if there was a travel warning saying that there was a high to extreme risk of being hit by a cement truck i probably wouldnt travel, just sayin

No different than an RCMP travel advisory. Often in the winter we get "travel not reccomened" warnings stating "If you don't have to go anywhere, don't"

Most of us still do, I don't miss work every snowfall, I'd lose my job. I travel with caution adjusting my driving to the conditions....as the 1000's of sledders in the back country did this past weekend.

As for those demanding vicims get billed for the rescue and recovery, does that mean those who don't heed the travel advisories and end up in highway accidents should be billed by STARS?????

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
This is a place to put your thoughts about the conditions, the event, snowmobiles etc....however there are some rules.
  1. No swearing.
  2. No personal attacks/slander/threats etc.
  3. If your commenting try and have your facts right.
  4. If you comment then you must accept that others will want to respond to that comment.
  5. Try not to take those comments as a personal attack.
  6. Remember that not all sledders agree/disagree with riding in the mountains when the risk is elevated, please attempt not to put all Alberta and British Columbia sledders into one group.
    • No attacking the Moderators for "doing their job"

Those who deviate from the above list may find their posts deleted or we may have to ban you.

*** Comments made on this thread or site do not reflect the views the Moderators or of snowandmud.com ***

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No different than an RCMP travel advisory. Often in the winter we get "travel not reccomened" warnings stating "If you don't have to go anywhere, don't"

Most of us still do, I don't miss work every snowfall, I'd lose my job. I travel with caution adjusting my driving to the conditions....as the 1000's of sledders in the back country did this past weekend.

As for those demanding vicims get billed for the rescue and recovery, does that mean those who don't heed the travel advisories and end up in highway accidents should be billed by STARS?????

absolutly i still go to work to but like you said if you dont have to dont

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Get a comfy chair...this post is looonnnggg. :rolleyes:

Randy & I wish to forward our prayers to the many riders and families that are still trying to process everything that happened last Saturday. We can't begin to imagine the physical and emotional healing that will be necessary for many people connected to this huge accident. The ripples from this will last a long time. The blessing is that snowmobilers are a tight knit group and the support within our community has always been strong.

Hats off to the riders that quickly became rescuers. Multiple burials in close proximity are challenging. Controlling a large rescue group is also challenging. It was heartening to learn of the riders that were prepared with rescue tools and the knowledge of how to use them. The losses could have been so much greater...

We have had a chance to catch some of the media coverage, and a few pages on the online forums. Opinions are all over the map. This is to be expected. There is talk of legislating changes to backcountry use. As sledders, we need to settle down and recognize that the goal of the Government and other authorities is not to restrict our freedom to ride, their goal is to reduce injuries and the loss of life.

Don't we have the same goal?

Many in the general public have called for actually closing the backcountry when avalanche hazard is high. While this might prevent some accidents, without education the Open/Closed initiative would not prepare riders for the less likely, but nevertheless, possible avalanches that may occur during a lower hazard 'Open' day.

We truly believe, that as in many sports and workplace accidents, the key to prevention is in education rather than in the creation of new rules that are difficult and costly to enforce.
As a community we need to embrace avalanche training and learn to use the resources.

Avy education...! What for?! But I've got years of mountain experience and why waste good riding days?

Yeah I hear you...but, what if there was even one new idea, one good idea that would help you to assess and avoid high risks... wouldn't it be a great investment?!
If you're not so sure, ask your family or business partner if they think that a little more education would be a bad thing. Those that still think that it is a waste of time and money...take a moment to consider how costly an accident can be, time and money.

If you're still not convinced, read these comments from past avy class participants.

Randy and I are passionate mountain sledders that have been teaching throughout western Canada for the past 10 years. We've even taught a few classes in Idaho and Washington and collaborated with educators from across Canada, the US, Sweden and Switzerland. Our knowledge and passion for motorized sports comes from years of serious off-road riding and racing of bikes, four wheel drives and sleds. Stock and modified. We are no strangers to turbos, nitrous, race fuels and other modifications. Randy has made sure of this!

We rode in the mountains for years without any avalanche training. We were certain that 'some skier' would just tell us that we were irrational and simply shouldn't be riding steep slopes. Once we were seated, we were humbled to find a sledder full of stories of close calls and fatalities, clearly showing us that many of these accidents were predictable and preventable. (BTW following the evening class we promptly went out and bought avalanche probes!)

The biggest thing we learned: being avy savvy doesn't mean we can't have fun.

371.jpg

Small changes to our riding habits can cut out a huge amount of unnecessary risk. We can still enjoy climbing steep slopes however education will help us to see the patterns and recognize the hazards. Timing is important and terrain is everything.

For those that are interested we have summarized a few points covered in the 16 hr AST1 program that may help riders and non-riders appreciate that it is possible to be a serious mountain rider and hill-climber without being viewed as 'reckless'.

We invite you to read on...never know, there might be something new. Even one new idea may make all the difference some day.

-There are 1000's of sledders out every week that are enjoying backcountry riding without incident.

-If a person looks at a typical season there are substantially more days when the slopes are stable compared to when they are unstable. Mother Nature DOES put up STOP signs. However, they are not red and octagon so it is up to each rider to get educated to recognize the nature's signs of instability.

-The number of snowmobilers seeking avalanche training is increasing every year. For example, Zac's Tracs worked with almost 1100 snowmobilers in tradeshows, seminars and full weekend courses this season, three times more than just two seasons ago.

-The whole community benefits from increased avalanche training. Our individual safety is often impacted by those we choose to ride with and other groups in our riding area.

-Choices of 'if and where to go' should be based on the current avalanche conditions, not strictly on our past knowledge of a particular slope or riding area.

-Riders need to question what were the significant weather events this season that may have created weak layers in the snowpack?

-Every season is different. We need to base our choices on what is happening in our riding area on THIS DAY in THIS SEASON.

516.jpg

-Avalanches are not just a hill-climber's problem. It doesn't matter if you only ride the groomed trails. Many snowmobile trails and play areas pass through avalanche path run out zones. All riders need education.

-Education gives riders the tools to gather reliable information needed to identify risky behavior and situations, recognize available options and make informed choices to minimize the hazards.

-Trip planning tools such as the Public Avalanche Bulletins and the Avaluator, are the minimum resources that all backcountry travelers should use. These resources, and more, are freely available at
www.avalanche.ca/sled Bulletins are also available by calling 1-800-667-1105
(Similar materials are available for the United States at Avalanche.org - Home Page ).

392.jpg

-Avalanche Bulletins highlight the weather forecast, significant weak layers in the snowpack, observations of recent avalanche activity, and offer travel advice based on the current conditions.

-Avalanche Bulletins should be read line by line. It is the text that helps guide our decisions. To minimize our risk we can choose to avoid exposing ourselves to areas similar to those where avalanches are forecast or reported to be occurring.

-Risk can also be reduced by choosing lower consequence terrain. While steepness is a factor, other characteristics to consider are: escape routes, terrain traps, overall size of slope, and common weak points.

-Here is one way to consider risk:
Risk = Probability x Consequence x Exposure

-Practicing safe travel habits in avalanche terrain does not mean we can't climb steep slopes, however we do need to learn to PICK AND CHOOSE.

These are just some of the choices that we can make:
  • if we are going
  • who we are going with
  • the day we are going
  • time of day
  • purpose or expectations for our trip
  • the community
  • the staging area
  • the elevation band (Alpine, Treeline, Below Treeline)
  • the aspect (direction the slopes face)
  • the slope
  • the route
  • the time spent in the exposed area
and the list goes on. Training helps us recognize these options and make the best choices for our riding group.

-the Avaluator is a trip planning tool that guides users to acknowledge the current conditions and the seriousness of the terrain before setting out for the day.

281.jpg

-Once in the snow the Avaluator also reminds users to be on the lookout for 'Obvious Clues' of hazardous situations. ALPTRUth helps us remember the 7 obvious clues.
For more info about ALPTRUth "CLICK HERE":

445.jpg

-The use of tools such as the Avaluator help backcountry travelers to resist the pressures to 'get caught up in the moment'. We need to be sure that our choices on the slope are within the parameters that our group deemed as 'rational and reasonable' during our planning phases.
For more info about Human Factors and F.A.C.E.T.S. "CLICK HERE":Helpful Avalanche Safety Acronyms: ALP TRUTh and FACETS | Backcountry Beacon

517.jpg

*Great job to Powder Project from Wyoming for including the information related to ALPTRUth and FACETS in an earlier post on SnoWest.*

===============

This accident has the potential to seriously affect our future mountain access. It is time for a shift in our thinking. It needs to come from within our community and not be legislated.
Sorry for this long-winded post.

Top Bottom