EXTRA CARE ON 08 x 154

jpow

Reaction score
my 08 has 3100 miles and ran great all year, i ll do the pistons this summer and what other extra care should i do on the engine and crank for maintenance etc. my buddys say sell her but ive got all my extras on it and set up.(camox, dj kit, vents,slp air,boss seat,. bought it last year with 900miles on it, nothing since just gas oil and general maintenance. what to do . thx

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3100 miles and original pistons? Double check cylinders around the skirts. There is likely to be some wear from the pistons rocking around.

Check the crank run out. If its not withing spec you will either be looking at a new short block or replacing the crank.

http://www.mxzx-revzone.com/article/-162.asp Joey has some good info on his site.

A rebuild of the Rave's would be good and a complete tear down of the primary to check and replace any worn items like rollers, bushings. Pull apart secondary and check rollers.

If you don't have a shop manual pick yourself up one or much can be found with searching on here and google.

jpow

Reaction score
3100 miles and original pistons? Double check cylinders around the skirts. There is likely to be some wear from the pistons rocking around.

Check the crank run out. If its not withing spec you will either be looking at a new short block or replacing the crank.

http://www.mxzx-revzone.com/article/-162.asp Joey has some good info on his site.

A rebuild of the Rave's would be good and a complete tear down of the primary to check and replace any worn items like rollers, bushings. Pull apart secondary and check rollers.

If you don't have a shop manual pick yourself up one or much can be found with searching on here and google.
yes original pistons, and ive been replacing parts all year in the clutches to keep them up to date , thanks for the info

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check that oil cable,,???

my crank has small splatters so i assume I should do this over the summer....

double check the bolts on the back of secondary,, lost mine and so did my buddy this year both 08's,, maybe unlucky but wrecks the day and easy to check em,,

I am in the same position, with exact same upgrades lol,, I dont want to sell but Im undecided,,

jpow

Reaction score
check that oil cable,,???

my crank has small splatters so i assume I should do this over the summer....

double check the bolts on the back of secondary,, lost mine and so did my buddy this year both 08's,, maybe unlucky but wrecks the day and easy to check em,,

I am in the same position, with exact same upgrades lol,, I dont want to sell but Im undecided,,

just last month my buddys crank went on his 08 and $35hun later , now hes keepin it for the next few years. i m like u undecided to up grade or not?i d like one more year out of her.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just last month my buddys crank went on his 08 and $35hun later , now hes keepin it for the next few years. i m like u undecided to up grade or not?i d like one more year out of her.

35hun now that would pizz me off especialy knowing its so common on these 800r's... although I am gambling in theory after seeing the greese,,

I try not to run it stupid hot or WOT for 3 minutes at a time to keep it kooler..

decisions,, decisons,,

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the same boat I am in. Have 3000 miles on it. Getting rid of it before the crank goes. $3,000 for a new motor, clutch work, etc. or $5,000 to trade off for a new sled......New sled it is! Wish October was closer!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 08 has 3100 miles and ran great all year, i ll do the pistons this summer and what other extra care should i do on the engine and crank for maintenance etc. my buddys say sell her but ive got all my extras on it and set up.(camox, dj kit, vents,slp air,boss seat,. bought it last year with 900miles on it, nothing since just gas oil and general maintenance. what to do . thx

i am in on 3100mi on my big bore, same with origional BB pistons. Things i gatta do is bushings for the clutchs and suspension. give it a good cleaning. Some nuts and bolts do come loose around the steering post we noticed. nothing else you really can do, unless your gonna do major overhaul. why upgrade if it is serving you well, i already climb 95% everything i want on any kind of snow day, your probably somewhere in the same boat

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
split case and regrease pto and mag bearings, new pistons, check crank runout and phase. and continue to ride it

If you've gone that far, wouldn't it be better to just replace the bearings?
Plus, I thought you could re-grease the bearings with the motor in the chassis without splitting. You can check phase and runout simply before tearing it down.

With those miles you are one pull start away from total engine destruction. When the piston goes at that stage, the skirt fails, and the bottom end gulps the piston skirt and spits it out... not pretty.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those bearings are over 100$ a piece. So may as well get a reman crank. All depends on your price point. And yes the outer bearings are servicable without splitting the case.

Top Bottom