Everyone prefers to go left?

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy way to test the theory - Stop on the trail and ask buddy to put the sled on the side - i'd pretty sure from a stop all would go Left as its easier throttle control..

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get the easier throttle control argument when going left. Your pulling hardest with the downhill hand.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When your bars are cranked one isn't that much further down then the other.. On the flats its not AS noticable, tip the sled on a 45 and see how the throttle sits when its on the high side, just more awkward..

Lots of practice and install a finger throttle - then you won't notice a difference.. Both sides are the same that way.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find my cat is easier to balance while going to the left. Going the other way always seams harder to keep it rocked over. Holding the throttle never seams to be a issue

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If all leftys had left throttle you be surprized what would happen.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If all leftys had left throttle you be surprized what would happen.

They would rule the mountain?

Most are uncoordinated with their left arm and when leaning right the left has to do the majority of the work. That and the other physical biases are my best theory.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wounldn't say they would rule the mountain. Hey how about that. Mabe government will give me money to study the pro riders to see who rules out there. Leftys or Rightys. Lots of you guys might be downright ----ed to find out Maxwell is Lefty.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a finger throttle and you’ll figure out why. Always had the same issue then bought a Munster finger throttle and problem solved.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I find when you are on edge side hilling your down hill hand holds the sled into the hill and your up hill hand holds your body front to back. Up hill palm keeps you from falling forward and fingers from falling back. So when on the left side your right fingers are doing the work and you don't need to have a good grip with your palm. When on the right side your whole body has to work harder to compensate for your palm not being as useful because of the throttle. I find myself getting tired quicker on the right side. And if the snow is inconsistent and your sled slows down faster than you anticipate I will sometimes slip of the bars with my right hand on the right side.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get on a skateboard for first time since you thought you were Tony Hawk in the 90's and try pushing with the other foot...same thing EAT CHIT! haha body balance. Mine has to do with zero confidence in switching body english. On my dirtcycle i can almost whip it 12 o'clock to straight turn down to the left on a big huck...i can't even whip my mini pitster to the right for nothing...me side hilling on the sled is just embarrassing. #outoftallent

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember when I was learning a few years back we wondered the same thing. Narrowed it down to the fact that on a steep sidehill your throttle hand thumb is at an awkward position tucked tight against your body. That with the weight of the clutches is the difference I think. To this day it's still easier to pull a long sidehill on the left!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we have genetically altered our selves. Our Fathers sleds would always load up with the pipe in the snow. So when they bred with there snow bunnies they altered the DNA so we could sidehill easier on the left side. Just a thought...

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we have genetically altered our selves. Our Fathers sleds would always load up with the pipe in the snow. So when they bred with there snow bunnies they altered the DNA so we could sidehill easier on the left side. Just a thought...

Natural selection eh? lol

There's nothing preventing someone from building a sled that's a mirror image. Didn't Fast have a sled years ago with the clutches on the right? I wonder if that would offset the right handed bias most of us have? Do leftys have a leg up now?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe move the ski in to the narrow setting , only on the right side .

Top Bottom