Ethanol in all grades of fuel

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen an article very recently, some one tested the shell 91 premium for ethanol, it only had around 2% even though the pump now says 10%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dumped some left over av gas in my wife’s ford flex. Don’t recommend it. Run the av gas in your lawnmowers not your wife’s vehicle…
we've been over this as well (back in May). Lawnmowers don't like av / race gas either.....my mower on C12.....you need to blend it......or burn it. LOL

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP, bombardier recreational products again is the family business that is traded publicly on the TSE. To my best recollection they are not getting funding from the federal government.
Bombardier Inc. Is the company that gets assistance from the federal government. Isn't this beating a dead horse.

That’s like saying your left arm isn’t getting the benefit of a blood transfusion administered in the right arm. 😂

StuckDownHill

Reaction score
Trying to decide what to do after reading this thread. If I got this right, octane boost is not the answer cause ethanol has a higher rating than petroleum anyway, so it’s not detonation that you have to worry about. Plus octane boost could fowl/damage components so why bother with it? Also, previous tests on fuel composition may not be relevant in Canada. As of 4 days ago, 10% is mandatory in all fuel. So I’n the past, previous results could show up to 2% ethanol on quality 91 that claims “non oxygenated” or “ethanol free”. What are we going to see now 12%?

The problem is the energy density of ethanol and the risk of running a map that is not tuned for it. If there is 12 % ethanol in the 91 gold and I run my sled on “non-ethanol mode”, there is a possibility of running too lean and causing engine damage. Also, ethanol absorbs moisture which could wreak havoc for obvious reasons. So what’s the answer? Run sled in ethanol mode mode and be sure to always run fresh fuel? I don’t wanna sacrifice power and my sled better not run like crap Trudy!

Hoping someone tells me I’m overthinking this and just pull the cord and go but I’m already gonna be a Guinea pig for a new Polaris engine. Not to mention clutching issues that may not be worked out. Want to give myself the best chance at not missing out on sledding because its in the shop

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide what to do after reading this thread. If I got this right, octane boost is not the answer cause ethanol has a higher rating than petroleum anyway, so it’s not detonation that you have to worry about. Plus octane boost could fowl/damage components so why bother with it? Also, previous tests on fuel composition may not be relevant in Canada. As of 4 days ago, 10% is mandatory in all fuel. So I’n the past, previous results could show up to 2% ethanol on quality 91 that claims “non oxygenated” or “ethanol free”. What are we going to see now 12%?

The problem is the energy density of ethanol and the risk of running a map that is not tuned for it. If there is 12 % ethanol in the 91 gold and I run my sled on “non-ethanol mode”, there is a possibility of running too lean and causing engine damage. Also, ethanol absorbs moisture which could wreak havoc for obvious reasons. So what’s the answer? Run sled in ethanol mode mode and be sure to always run fresh fuel? I don’t wanna sacrifice power and my sled better not run like crap Trudy!

Hoping someone tells me I’m overthinking this and just pull the cord and go but I’m already gonna be a Guinea pig for a new Polaris engine. Not to mention clutching issues that may not be worked out. Want to give myself the best chance at not missing out on sledding because its in the shop
there's no great answer. You can make your own ethanol free fuel but its a PITA and to do it correct you need to get your hands on some anhydrous magnesium sulphate, or waste a couple litres of fuel each round. Use a water reducer and hope that it pulls some of the ethanol with it. Chevron still says 94 is ethanol free, not sure if its exempt under the new regs. Buy synthetic fuel but its $$$. Deck your head and then just run av gas or race gas but again....$$$$. Its good to be cautious, I'm in the same boat as you with my stock sled and not sure what I'm gonna do either. I might try some of this K100 and hope that it helps kill any ethanol and associated with water.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1667850801862.png

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's no great answer. You can make your own ethanol free fuel but its a PITA and to do it correct you need to get your hands on some anhydrous magnesium sulphate, or waste a couple litres of fuel each round. Use a water reducer and hope that it pulls some of the ethanol with it. Chevron still says 94 is ethanol free, not sure if its exempt under the new regs. Buy synthetic fuel but its $$$. Deck your head and then just run av gas or race gas but again....$$$$. Its good to be cautious, I'm in the same boat as you with my stock sled and not sure what I'm gonna do either. I might try some of this K100 and hope that it helps kill any ethanol and associated with water.

If you pull the ethanol out of it somehow you will end up with a lower octane fuel because ethanol raises octane. I have no idea how much 10% ethanol raises the octane though. Then you will have to add some sort of additive to boost the octane again. Friggin' Trudeau.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you pull the ethanol out of it somehow you will end up with a lower octane fuel because ethanol raises octane. I have no idea how much 10% ethanol raises the octane though. Then you will have to add some sort of additive to boost the octane again. Friggin' Trudeau.
Yes, sorry didnt clarify. Buddies dad has an octane booster so will test it hopefully. I know some guys who've had good luck with Boostane and will be running that to adjust the octane. I've reached out to a friend of mine that works at a lab, see what their petroleum lab can run for MON / RON values. It would be nice to know what the lab says verified numbers for octane with and without ethanol @ 10%, even if it costs a couple hundred bucks its cheaper than pistons and a monoblock. I'll let you know when I hear back.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MON/RON is tested before the batch of fuel goes to tankage... they batch and mix between tanks and test again before it sells.... its only a set of parameters and a pass/fail system.... lots of room for miniscule errors. then there's tank problems.... I'd say you're more likely to get water from a shitty station but.... not saying a refinery can't have a MAJOR water ingress issue with a finished product storage tank, likely the floor....

the lab guys tell me octane MON/RON is ALWAYS above the 87/89/91 on the button, it has to be. 89 is likely 91 that didn't pass the batch test...

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevron still has stickers up that their 94 is Ethanol free.

Also one of the few places premium has its own spout

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was loyal to the Chevron 94 when I had a 4S turbo. I had to drive a little to get it which became annoying.

Co-op marked premium is ethanol free and is refined in 'berta. Tempo is the independently owned franchises using co-op fuel. I called and talked to the plant manger to get this info last year.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, co-op has a refinery in Sask but not 'Berta... I wonder where they get their stock? Imperial, Shell and Suncor make Gasoline in Edmonton, NWR and a couple places make diesel. Parkland has that test facility in Bowden and their tiny refinery in Burnaby. Husky used to have a little guy in Prince George too...

We need more refineries....

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Costco premium here has approx 8% eth content. Yesterday’s fuel.
added a touch of k100 to it and it didn't change the % but the upper level which is gasoline was not near as coudy.

Attachments

• 05ED9D59-2C1C-4754-AE64-795D79D81C64.jpeg
    05ED9D59-2C1C-4754-AE64-795D79D81C64.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 133

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The percentage of ethanol will vary for the supplier to meet the government requirements based on their individual fuels make up. I am not concerned about up to 10%.

What is maybe more concerning is the new fuel requirements are supposed to become more restrictive each year until 2030.

I am no chemist so it’s only an assumption but if it takes up to 10% ethanol to meet the new ethanol mandate for pump gasoline fuels of 91.5 Carbon Intensity Limits, how much ethanol will it take to reach the 2030 limit of 81.0 CI’s?

Will E25 or maybe E50 become a norm? E85 is seemingly fairly common in the Southern US. All of this is just a ploy to convert people over to other alternatives like EV’s by increasing costs at the pump which is no surprise.

ed81e4018c3fb2de78aef877f95f5942.jpg

829f692101cccae2c13fb122cec2c01e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom