ecu failure...or should i say failures

dhdey

Reaction score
2 weeks ago out riding, cruising up trail sled dies like i hit the kill switch. do some troubleshooting then try a buddies ecu. fires right up..put mine back in and nothing. no burns marks, burnt wires...go over wiring harness all looks good...figured it was a random failure. got a used one off ebay, plug it in ..runs. go for a ride at a local spot, runs fine everything normal stop and cabin for a couple beers..go to head home and sled dies 100m from cabin. exact same as time before. tow it out. well after searching harder i find my main chassis ground is very loose. would this be for sure the culprit? i dont wanna put another one in and have it last one ride.
could the ccu have been damaged? headlights, guages everything worked fine.

anyone been through this before, real frustrated and cant seem to find a similar senario online.

killerrf

Reaction score
there are two ground. on mag side on front bottom side of engine and on mag side connected to steering post bolt. i checked mine here before i head out and it was loose. tightened back up.

dhdey

Reaction score
i'm still trying to find the engine ground, another person said its inside where the stator is mounted ???

dhdey

Reaction score
so new ecu arrived and she fired right up. both grounds are good(one was loose after last tow out session). no idea how to test ccu but everything else electrical is working perfectly. still nervous to take it out...gone over wire harness looks fine. another other parts that can fail and take out an ecu?

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be replacing the ccu. Had a friend I believe went through as many as 4, until he replaced the ccu. He has been good since. Sounds like the same story. He changed wiring harness, guage, reverse servo, not sure what else. His were burnt thou on the bottom side of the ecu. I was with him the first time, you could smell burnt wires when the hood was opened.

dhdey

Reaction score
never had any hint of burning. really do feel it was a result of the loose ground. got an afternoon ride in today and all was good

dhdey

Reaction score
after the ground fix i lost another ecu. replaced the ccu and lost another ecu. so i think its time to part it out. not worth throwing all kinds of money at it when i have no idea what the problem is.

dhdey

Reaction score
2007 M8 bmp y-pipe, mbrp can, 162 powerclaw, powder pro's, mds weights

Top Bottom