Reverse button no longer works

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my 2018 800 Axys to CWE this past week got the ESD fuel pump recall done. Went to back the sled off my deck and sure enough the reverse button no longer works. It worked just fine the weekend before riding. I called CWE asked them if they touched any of that stuff but said they only take off the console shroud to get to the top of the fuel tank. I replicated their steps to expose the wiring harness to the button and all look intact so I guess I’ll put it back together and now try to find a spare reverse button to see if that really is my issue? Are there any fuses on these sleds to check as well?

01e4fd399d292fa30a1ecc03058d42c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What RPM is it idling at? I think if they are idling too high RPM, they will ignore the reverse button.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The button momentarily shorts the signal wire to ground.

Could be a bad connection where the ground wire connects to the chassis.

Should be able to test by shorting the 2 wires in the harness with a cotter pin or sorting the signal wire to the chassis with a jumper.

You could also test you button with an ohm meter. It’s Probably not the button.

Attachments

• F9269BFF-C5B1-4B97-B266-83D9AC736B09.png
    F9269BFF-C5B1-4B97-B266-83D9AC736B09.png
    307.8 KB · Views: 144

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was idling under 2000RPM like normal, although the sled did spend the night outside in their yard in -30C and was quite heavily frosted over when I picked it up at 9:30am - then went to unload it around noon. Maybe some moisture or frost still in the button or wiring causing a short to the ground? I'll have to try it again now that it has thawed in my garage and took everything apart. If not, then I'll start chasing wire shorts like Tchetek suggests.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was idling under 2000RPM like normal, although the sled did spend the night outside in their yard in -30C and was quite heavily frosted over when I picked it up at 9:30am - then went to unload it around noon. Maybe some moisture or frost still in the button or wiring causing a short to the ground? I'll have to try it again now that it has thawed in my garage and took everything apart. If not, then I'll start chasing wire shorts like Tchetek suggests.

-Shorting the signal wire to ground is what puts it into reverse.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I would just unplug the reverse button wires. It's a small connector under the hood. You have to unvelcro the wire/connector protection bag... Use a multimeter and check continuity while pushing and not pushing the button on the button side of the wires that will eliminate the switch being the issue or a broken wire going up to it..

I just went through this on my 18 and it had a broken wire right where they go through the hood... I just used a heat shrink butt connector and so far so good.

Last edited:

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ended up finding the issue with my reverse function. With a multimeter I unplugged the 2 wire plug and tested for continuity. Sure enough one of the wires did not zero out so I cut out a big chunk of wire between the switch and plug. Tested that wire I just cut and it zero’d out so it was NOT the issue. I did a continuity test on the barbed wire end and it failed, somehow the male end of that wire in the factory white plug harness was no good anymore?? So I unplugged that wire from the white harness, made up a new plug connector and spliced the wires and sure enough reverse works again.

3280a5d6dd765abe80814fb1ce530716.jpg

4c7f9a995f00c5ef47be0b7779c3e815.jpg

Hope this helps someone else in their trouble shooting. Anyone else ever run into these pin connectors failing?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ended up finding the issue with my reverse function. With a multimeter I unplugged the 2 wire plug and tested for continuity. Sure enough one of the wires did not zero out so I cut out a big chunk of wire between the switch and plug. Tested that wire I just cut and it zero’d out so it was NOT the issue. I did a continuity test on the barbed wire end and it failed, somehow the male end of that wire in the factory white plug harness was no good anymore?? So I unplugged that wire from the white harness, made up a new plug connector and spliced the wires and sure enough reverse works again.

3280a5d6dd765abe80814fb1ce530716.jpg

4c7f9a995f00c5ef47be0b7779c3e815.jpg

Hope this helps someone else in their trouble shooting. Anyone else ever run into these pin connectors failing?

I Got stranded twice last year. First time dealer didn’t troubleshoot and replaced the whole wire harness. 2 trips later made it 3 km and my sled was dead.

Dealer said the pins at the Ignition coil connectors was the issue.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen them heavily corroded before
Job #1 with new sled is to pull all connectors and apply dielectric grease - esp the ones that aren't molenex type with Xtra grease on the backside where the wires enter the fitting ...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

sledder325

Reaction score
Off topic but just wondering what do they do to the axys for the stop ride notice.
Do they replace fuel pump etc

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the kit is different for every permutation of Polaris sled. For instance whether you have electronic fuel gauge or float-bob type. Axys vs Matryx. But I haven't heard of any of them getting new fuel pumps. It seems to be just new clamps and washers and little things.

Top Bottom