Dynotech Test of 850

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hot engines? This isn't a TA diesel engine where you can add a 100 HP by doing a ECU program change. A NA engine is really quite limited to what you can hotrod. Timing advance ( I'm sure the're going to run max) it will retard in case of detonation. Any late timing will only increase cylinder temp. The air/fuel mix will or should be running at stoichiometric. Slight changes in injector quantity and duration. In the end, it should hold at 165 hp as advertised. Any more will be a bonus.

there can be porting revisions, pipe changes etc.....they all do it....just like the yamaha putting out over 200hp, it will be turned down also

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there can be porting revisions, pipe changes etc.....they all do it....just like the yamaha putting out over 200hp, it will be turned down also
So far it's been documented to make up to 170 hp. BRP claimed 165 output. Not much of a spread. You're saying the're going to do hardware changes so it makes less hp for the production line? Zero logic in your thinking. They already have a combination of components that work engine wise. The new Yamaha is a different story. Being boosted, without any physical changes they can make it do 120 hp or over 200 hp.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far it's been documented to make up to 170 hp. BRP claimed 165 output. Not much of a spread. You're saying the're going to do hardware changes so it makes less hp for the production line? Zero logic in your thinking. They already have a combination of components that work engine wise. The new Yamaha is a different story. Being boosted, without any physical changes they can make it do 120 hp or over 200 hp.

well I guess working in the industry as a mechanic for 7+ years made me dumb, there is a reason why they won't let people remove plugs to look inside or compression test or check timing on prototypes....this new engine has some killer tech in it and some new ideas that may turn out to be industry changing

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I guess working in the industry as a mechanic for 7+ years made me dumb, there is a reason why they won't let people remove plugs to look inside or compression test or check timing on prototypes....this new engine has some killer tech in it and some new ideas that may turn out to be industry changing
What industry do you work in? That's because they don't want every self proclaimed expert touching their stuff! I would be the same. Time and place for that and for the right people.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What industry do you work in? That's because they don't want every self proclaimed expert touching their stuff! I would be the same. Time and place for that and for the right people.

I was refering to a time when I worked at Doo, Poo, and Yammy dealers, I attended all the update training etc......and I am a dual trade red seal mechanic.....what are you lol

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was refering to a time when I worked at Doo, Poo, and Yammy dealers, I attended all the update training etc......and I am a dual trade red seal mechanic.....what are you lol
I'm just a self proclaimed expert on the subject! lol. At any rate, I am confident that BRP's hp #'s will be as claimed 6 months from now when it get's re-tested.

psychosledder

Reaction score
They need to run this, an 800 etec, and an axys all the same day for these numbers to mean anything. It's already been pointed out. They had an etec run 163... we don't even know what the ptek had by comparison. I feel Dynotech should know how to do a fair comparison. Why they have no interest in producing meaningful results is a mystery to me.
That 163 was a preproduction 2011
It's up now on jims site. At dynotech 170.4

called Jim to get his feel on this baby before calling the dealer to order..

he says air for dyno session was very humid and replaces oxygen, also said fairly warm 50f weather...

he's pretty happy with those numbers and once some timing is added and lower humidity he sees an additional gain for the 850..

keep in in mind now this is the same dyno that gives the new poo ho motor a number of 154.9, the 16 Etec 800 a number of 163.6

also mentioned how smooth this motor was to dyno and some runs were back to back to back..

Good job doo..

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am really impressed! Wow, kudos all around I have to say!!!

Not for this 850 thing, I am impressed by the doo loyal riders. I am truly amazed and humbled by how hard you guys are cheering for something that's 70 horsepower behind the leader in the 2017 model year. THAT takes some real persistence and perseverance.

Look: S&M even added a emoji guy on the same week the dyno results came out to help you guys express yourselves - great work there rknight. ;) That's some forward thinkin' right thar. Hahahaha!

:second:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am really impressed! Wow, kudos all around I have to say!!!

Not for this 850 thing, I am impressed by the doo loyal riders. I am truly amazed and humbled by how hard you guys are cheering for something that's 70 horsepower behind the leader in the 2017 model year. THAT takes some real persistence and perseverance.

Look: S&M even added a emoji guy on the same week the dyno results came out to help you guys express yourselves - great work there rknight. ;) That's some forward thinkin' right thar. Hahahaha!

:second:
who is doo so far behind? 70 hp I missing something ?

Top Bottom